November 23, 2014

Battlestar Galactica: Faith - VIDEO

by Keith McDuffee, posted May 9th 2008 11:41PM
bsg
(S04E06) More than a few people thought last week's episode was filler. Things picked up again this week, with a lot of reveals along with a few more questions. Throw in another "red shirt" death and some other surprises (that I won't mention here in case there are spoiler-phobes about), and you've got the makings of a good episode.

This week I didn't bother with the ten minute preview online. In an interview with Mark Verheiden regarding last week's episode, he indicated that this episode was originally going to start off at a different point. So, in essence, if you were watching the preview today, you were seeing what was meant to be in last week's episode, originally.

First thing's first, I need to bring up Doc Cottle. After reading theories from readers and having suspicions of my own lately, I'd say he's a front-runner for being the final Cylon. Throughout this episode he was mentioned by name. Not "the doctor" or "a doctor," but always "Cottle" or "Doc Cottle," as if to remind us all that he's there and who he is. Gaeta mentioned him when talking about possibly having his leg amputated. Roslin mentioned him by name a time or two as well.

What especially hit me was when the patient Roslin was speaking with discussed her vision and how it was "the night Cottle told me" about her state of illness. Perhaps it's a red herring, but to me that spelled out a big hint.

Speaking of Roslin, the shot of her bald head was a huge surprise. I mean, it was inevitable, but I did not see that coming. I'm impressed that the makeup folks were able to tuck all of her hair away for that prop to work out so well.

One last thing about Cottle. Why is it that he's always the go-to guy when there just has to be more than one doctor tending to the near 40,000 people in the fleet?

Getting off that topic, I have to say that I'm admiring Helo more this season than I had in the past. I think it was in the first or second season that I didn't like him at all, but he did a fine job asserting command these past two episodes, even if it did result in Gaeta getting nearly mortally wounded and having to take orders at gunpoint.

The trip out to retrieve the Base Star was the highlight of the episode, of course. I was happy to see that what most thought was a "ship of lights" from a few episodes ago was, instead, the Base Star and what looked like debris burning up.

One thing that continually fascinates me is Athena and not only her acceptance within the Colonials, but at how she's distanced herself from what she really is. That was brought to a head tonight, as a dying Eight tried to reach out to her and she turned away. While we're seeing more humans coming to accept the notion of the Cylon way of thinking, that there is one God, Sharon almost seems to be heading in the opposite direction. Perhaps she is the key to how things work out (or don't work out) when everyone arrives on Earth.

I'm loving the moments with Anders as he tries to come to grasp what he is. His temptation to touch the controls of the Base Star. The look on his face when the hybrid's riddle was solved. What would have happened if Anders touched those controls? Would the hybrid know of it? I say, likely, yes.

Speaking of the hybrid, if you're wondering what she said, this is how I transcribed it: "A dying leader will know the truth of the opera house. This missing three will give you the five, who have come from the home of the thirteenth. You are the harbinger of death, Kara Thrace. You will lead them all to their end. End of line." We'll call that the quote of the episode.

The biggest news in what the hybrid said was that the final five are from Earth. I think a lot of people already had this theory, though that most likely means that the Earth we see this season will not be one of the past but rather the present or future.

Some other points:
  • Now that Caprica Six is dead, what will become of Baltar's "head Six?"
  • What were we to take from seeing Sharon's blood enter the hybrid's pool?
  • Jean Barolay is the second secondary character to bite it in a pretty non-glamourous way. She helped Anders lead the resistance on Caprica, which is why he was so affected by her death.
  • How are the Demitrius crew going to convince Adama that the Base Star is cool to integrate into the fleet? that's going to be an interesting conversation to see.

Current fleet population: 39,673 (-2 for Barolay and the patient)

Will Gaeta lose the leg?
It's as good as gone.418 (56.3%)
Cottle will patch it up with Cylon mojo.143 (19.2%)
He's fine. It's just a flesh wound.182 (24.5%)

Tim McCleese

Frankly, I am a little surprised at the sluggishishness of some of the content. If it were not the last season Dorv, I wouldn't worry about it, but we only have fifteen or so episodes to go and there are a lot of issues to be resolved. Not a lot of time for filler. See you on the posts next week!

May 15 2008 at 9:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

LOL. Dorv, you can be the final cylon in spite of your busy schedule because your "programming" hasn't kicked in yet. Good luck on that opening.

May 15 2008 at 4:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tim McCleese's comment
Dorv

Ha... I need my "go take a damn nap" programming to kick in...

So, to get back on topic, have you found the first part of this season to be slow and plodding, or is just me?

May 15 2008 at 7:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

I still say that my friend Dorv is the final cylon.

May 14 2008 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tim McCleese's comment
Dorv

I don't have the time to be the final Cylon. I'm still in the middle of a huge opening, living in a hotel that doesn't have Sci Fi. I've gotta watch the episodes online the next day!

How can I be the final Cylon if I can't even watch the episode with everyone else?

May 15 2008 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carole

Thank you for naming Nana Visitor! The face was vaguely familiar but I knew that voice from somewhere. It was good to see her again. Cottle is not the final Cylon and neither is Kara!

May 13 2008 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carole

SoSSo Kara finally heard what we've heard all along. Kara Thrace is "The Harbinger of Death"! Bye Bye Felix, it was nice knowing you. Do you think the other Cylons could "sense" that Sam is one of their own? Who played emily? She looked very familiar. Good show and I'm already in mourning for the last season. Who is the final Cylon? It will be someone we all know that's for sure. Looking forward to having Esai Morales aboard!

May 13 2008 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

Bsgfan2003:

Your reasoning is logical but in this case the dying #8 (I hate to refer to her that way) would have posed no threat to any of the humans because her death was going to be final....no resurrection. But then....maybe Sharon didn't know that. Thank you for the effort. I hope that is all it was. A very sad scene as it was.

May 12 2008 at 7:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Tim McCleese's comment
bsgfan2003

Don't despair Tim-1. I really believe Boomer will redeem herself. Then you'll have something to cheer for :)

May 12 2008 at 10:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

And I think she'll slip to the sidelines and not mean much to the grand finale...

But I'm just saying that to tweak Tim-1

May 14 2008 at 1:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

The dying woman ... that was Nana Visitor of Star Trek DS9 fame, yes?

May 12 2008 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
boxlight

Did anyone else notice Baltar was quoting shakespeare during his radio show? "this morning coil", "undiscovered country" and so on. What's up with that?

I have to say, this show has gone seriously into the toilet this season. No one I know who was obsessed with it in season one is still watching. We're drowning in deariness and melodrama, and the plot has been going nowhere for a long long time.

It's been apparent for several seasons now that the cylons never did "have a plan" and that the writers were lying to us all along. I fear there's no way to save this show -- my PVR still scoops up the episodes for me and I watch them when there's nothing else to do, but I no longer look forward to this lame duck of a show.

Sorry fans, this ones dead in the water.

May 11 2008 at 11:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to boxlight's comment
boxlight

> Baltar was quoting shakespeare during his radio show? "this morning coil", "undiscovered country"

Should read "this morTAL coil" -- silly fingers.

May 11 2008 at 11:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick cokely

Ok thanks!!!

May 12 2008 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

Without a doubt, this episode had one of the most breathtaking moments in the history of television. That being Sharon's encounter with all those number eights. It was such an overwhelming scene that for a moment I thought I was having one of those wonderful near-death experiences people write about. In fact, I had to pinch myself to make sure. This episode is right up there with "Downloaded".

I don't understand why Sharon did not take her hand. I just don't understand. By no means am I criticizing Sharon. No. and again no. She must have had her reasons. The scene was a trembling moment for me. My thoughts at the time was "Yes....there....she's gonna take it....yes....yes....(I was COMPELLING her to take it at this point) Then....her hand pulled away. It was a heartbreaking, numbing viewing experience. There must be a logical explanation for it. I''ll think about it another day.

All those heavenly number eights.

May 11 2008 at 9:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to Tim McCleese's comment
Ryan

I was looking for information about Razor on the SciFi.com website when I came across the following picture available on their Downloads page:

What I find interesting is that the four cast members on the right side of the photo are four of the five final cylons. The next cast member over is Adama.

May 11 2008 at 8:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ryan's comment
Ryan

Actually self, since Apollo is in a suit, it is a recent cast photo so it makes sense that the four are grouped together. It would only be an interesting photo if it were from before the reveal.

Never mind.