December 17, 2014

Ugly Betty: Betty's Baby Bump

by Erin Martell, posted May 9th 2008 1:50AM
Ana Ortiz and Eddie Cibrian
(S02E16) Things are finally coming into place on Ugly Betty. Wili officially declared war on the Meades, Betty dealt with serious baby drama, and Hilda got back into the dating game (almost). If this keeps up, the show will be back to its old self--Wili scheming, Betty working with Daniel against her, and an end to the Suarez family mourning period. Sounds good to me!

Things didn't really get going until the second half of the episode. I loved Claire for pinching Betty and bringing her back into reality. Betty's grown a lot since the show began, and bending over backwards for Charlie was Season One Betty. Our girl knows better; you can be optimistic and in touch with reality at the same time. No amount of party planning was going to change the fact that Betty wasn't happy about this baby's arrival. She was crying at the baby's birth, but not out of joy.

I've been waiting forever for the Wili-surrogate storyline to pay off, and the big moment finally happened. Wili dropped the bomb on the Meades in typical diva fashion. The only thing missing was Marc in the background making snide comments. It's about time Wilhelmina returned to the Mode offices. There's wasn't a lot of action at Mode this week; most the scenes were set elsewhere in Manhattan or at the Suarez house. The writers even tried to force Amanda into the baby shower scenes. No thanks. I'm ready for some office drama! I want to see Amanda and Marc arm-in-arm once again.

Thank goodness for Eddie Cibrian. Coach Diaz made the first half of the episode bearable by giving me something to look at. This budding relationship reminded me a lot of a certain Freaks and Geeks episode, but at least they imitated a great show. I'd give anything to watch Justin work his choreography magic on his school's cheerleaders, by the way.

I was a little bored with Daniel's trip to the therapist and subsequent downward spiral, but I'm happy with how things ended up. He and Wili are at odds again, and Wili will be resuming her campaign for the editor-in-chief position. Things are exactly as they were at the start of the series, but with a few key differences. Daniel has rededicated himself to Mode and is far more interested in keeping his job. Round Two of Meade vs. Slater is almost shaping up to be a fair fight.

My favorite line of the night:

"When I march up the steps of the Meade building, it'll be the best comeback since...Jesus." --Wilhelmina Slater

Next week--The battle for Meade Publications is on, and Gio plants a kiss on Betty.

Are you ready for Betty and Henry to be over?
Definitely not. They could make long-distance work.48 (14.1%)
Yes! Bring on Gio!278 (81.8%)
Other (elaborate in comments).14 (4.1%)

clgbutterfly

What with you people wanting Daniel and Betty together. Bleh that will only lead to ruins and the downfall of the show. The way the storyline will run is Henry will go off to be daddy. Charlie will have a breakdown and just as Betty is settled with Gio Henry will show back up Single dad, or something just as angsty. Betty and Henry are meant to be, but their will always be trouble and conflict. It's just the way. Daniel will most likely end back up with Renee after he finds out what Wili did.

May 11 2008 at 11:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Muscleman

Does anyone know the name of the song that ends the May 8the episode? I know its Motown based but Im tryin to find out the exact artist. What a phenomenal and appropriate song to end that episode....I REALLY need to know. Send any info to rockinbod@aol.com Thanks.

May 11 2008 at 12:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
becca

The relationship with Henry is over. Of course they've been setting up a relationship with Gio, but am I the only one to notice that Betty and Gio have no chemistry? I'll be glad when that storyline is over and Betty and Daniel get together (apparently after Daniel watches Betty's relationship for Gio with jealousy...)

May 09 2008 at 7:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz

This episode was just meh. Where were all the great lines? Plus I'm so sick of the Henry/Charlie thing. Let's move on to Gio already and see some romance.

May 09 2008 at 4:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

I liked last week's episode a bit more. While I liked this week's music and transitions, it wasn't focused on fashion or work like last week. This week felt a bit more soap opera-y and featured more 1-on-1 spots (excluding the end) over big ensemble scenes. For instance, regarding a lack of reality, if the editor-in-chief for Mode needs to meet with a photographer for his mag, why is the editor of 'Hot Flash' and his publisher there (even if they're fam)?

You're right A was shoehorned into the shower. While I'm glad she came, it would've made more sense if Betty begged her because Charlie didn't have a lot of friends, in NYC. Finally, although the Suarez family is starting to leave the house. How can Hilda support herself and her son if she doesn't have customers? Also, how can Papi maintain the house if he doesn't have a job?

May 09 2008 at 3:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Yokley

What is the name of the school as represented by EMS on the coach's (Cibrian) shirt?

May 09 2008 at 11:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarah

Amanda makes a good episode great, so any way they can inject her in a scene is fine by me. that being said, i loved this episode. it felt classic to me with the wacky scene wipes, the family scenes with Ignacio watching telenovas while cooking... the only thing i am over is Daniel sleeping with random women. boring! also, i am so glad that Henry and Betty had that talk earlier in the episode. i was getting a little done with them making up at the end of each episode and talking about how they have to make the most of the ___ weeks they had together. i loved what he said to her on the couch, but we all knew that would go to shit once the baby was born.

May 09 2008 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
keithnl

"The writers even tried to force Amanda into the baby shower scenes..."

Great episode. I kinda felt the same way, but I missed her character, so I let it slide. Hopefully with Willi back at mode we'll finally get some more Mark and Amanda.

May 09 2008 at 7:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply