October 25, 2014

Nineties kids rejoice: GUTS is back

by Annie Wu, posted May 10th 2008 2:01PM
Nick GUTSRight about this time of year, most of the true children of the nineties are graduating from four years of Hell and preparing for a lifetime of also Hell, this time sans meal plan and floor meetings. Take a break from job-hunting and crying about student loans, children, and join me in wading in this pool of nostalgia, for your dreams have finally come true. Yes, yes. It looks like Nickelodeon's totally awesome sports challenge show, GUTS, is coming back.

Now, before people get way too excited, keep two things in mind. First of all, you're probably way too old to climb the Aggro-Crag with the gazelle-like grace you once had. Secondly, the format has changed a bit. Remember how Double Dare turned into Family Double Dare and it was extra-embarrassing for Daddy when he had to go back to the office on Monday with Gak in his hair, nineties kid I'm pretending to talk to? Well, prepare for more of that, because this resurrection will be called My Family's Got GUTS and will air this fall on Nick at Nite. On the show, three teams of two parents and two kids will face off in four different sports-inspired challenges. I hear the promise of it being humiliating for all involved, which is why I fully intend to watch.

Since I'm sure Mike O'Malley is still busy doing sitcoms I don't like, the show is searching for a host to oversee the challenges, which will take place at Universal Studios Florida. No word on whether or not they will find another adorable English woman to put on an ill-fitting referee shirt and blow a whistle every once in a while.

That's all the 90s news for now, kids. Now, go cut that hair and find a job. Seriously, eating Top Ramen everyday outside of a dorm room environment isn't thrifty, it's sad.

Sami

Haha, YES, I'm all for bringing back the 90's! Definitely was the best time to be a kid. I've realized though that recreations are NEVER as good as the original.

May 12 2008 at 7:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bjwanlund

Well, I'll watch anything that has anything to do with one of my favourite shows once.

I'll give this new "Family GUTS" a fair shake, and if it leads to putting the ORIGINAL version of GUTS on iTunes (and hopefully without the godawful way they put the original American Gladiators on iTunes in totally inappropriate "Six-Packs"), then I'm all for it!

BJ

May 10 2008 at 11:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TVGenius

Yeah, original DD was much better. I expect Family GUTS to suck about as much as My Dad's Better Than Your Dad. I liked LotHT, but the temple run at the end was awfully complicated, and most kids got lost or confused.

I stumbled across some Finders Keepers replaying on Nick GAS a few years back, and that was interesting... I barely remembered the original show.

May 10 2008 at 6:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to TVGenius's comment
kickit

The temple run at the end of LotHT always used to scare me! Whenever those crazy people would come out and capture the kids, and they'd have to give em that piece of the symbol or whatever... used to scare the crap out of me. That and "Are You Afraid of the Dark?"

GUTS was def my favorite show when I was a little youngster. I remember my teacher ask me what my favorite show was and I said GUTS and she didn't understand and must have thought I was talking about some surgery show or something lol.

Great times in those 90s we had.

May 10 2008 at 11:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Caroline

my head just exploded...i LOVED that show when I was little and one of my goals was to get a piece of that damn agrocrag...along with being in the video challenge on nick arcade and having my family being on double dare. YES

May 10 2008 at 5:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tingrin87

wait - Mike O'Malley has been on Earl, as the bowling cop...
you don't like Earl??

May 10 2008 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MCW

YAY! BRING BACK MO!!!!

May 10 2008 at 3:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JW

Yes, regular GUTS and Legend of the Hidden Temple rocked! I cannot believe how long ago that was, I was probably 6 or 7 then. I hated the Global GUTS, and Family Double Dare. I guess Nick feels the need to compete with NBC's American Gladiators even though it's not for families.

May 10 2008 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Don-Don

I prefer Legend of the Hidden Temple

May 10 2008 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Don-Don's comment
Oreo

No one ever won on that show, and the rock face was creepy and hit on people. :)

May 10 2008 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Drago Dracini

*vader* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

May 10 2008 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

BOOOOOOOOOOO!

I want regular Guts, screw this family crap.

May 10 2008 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply