September 22, 2014

How I Met Your Mother: Everything Must Go - VIDEO

by Joel Keller, posted May 12th 2008 11:44PM
How I Met Your Mother: Everything Must Go(S03E19) I'm going to be speaking to Carter Bays and Craig Thomas tomorrow afternoon, and I think that one of the first questions I'm going to ask them is if Britney Spears is going to be a recurring guest on the show. It's starting to look that way, based on what we saw tonight; the way things ended, I can just imagine crazy Abby popping up once or twice per season, just to make Ted's life miserable. And since Brit Brit established the role, I'd imagine she'd come back and reprise it.

And that's not altogether a bad thing. Once she becomes part of the fabric of the show, the episodes will be less about her presence and more about the story. Somehow (heh), Brit pulls off the nutty stalker role well enough, and maybe her acting will get a bit more refined the more she appears. At least I hope it does.

Why am I prattling on about Britney? Because there isn't much more about this episode that really stood out.

Not sure why, but everything about this episode gave me a big feeling of "meh." Maybe because last week's was so eventful and this one's wasn't. Not sure. The story with Marshall and Lily trying to raise the money to un-tilt their Dowistrepla apartment was cute, but not full of those M&L moments that you love to laugh and go "awww" at. Robin and Ted didn't have much to do but be goofy (more on that later). And Barney? Well, Barney just isn't the same away from the group, no matter how much he schemes with Abby, or whatever he's calling her at that moment.

At least we know that Abby was the person who was going around and badmouthing Barney to every woman in the city (as we tried to discover in "The Bracket"). Barn did a good job of getting Abby to go along with his "I hate Ted" scheme of trying to show him what being in a relationship is like. The fact that Abby alternated by saying Ted's hair and other things were "lame and awesome" gave me a chuckle. But Barney wriggled out of the mess he made -- he fake-proposed and she real-accepted -- too easily, chucking Ted under the bus at the same time. The whole plot seemed very fluffy to me. Sure, we're still working through the Barney-Ted separation, but it really wasn't dealt with in any kind of significant way. And, as I said, I miss Barney being a part of the group.

Ok, on to Marshall and Lily selling their stuff (mostly her clothes, since Marshall's never getting rid of his "Split Happens" t-shirt). So we know the website he set up to sell everything is real, with the proceeds going to charity. But how about the women-in-garbage-bags site that Lily accidentally found? (Oh, crap, it is, complete with a creepy French soundtrack.) The story of how they managed to set up a business selling her paintings to veterinarians was a bit convoluted, but it gave us an opportunity to see both Matt Besser and Larry Wilmore in small roles. Guys like that always give a show a bit of a comedic "stamp of approval," so it was good to see them.

More stuff:

• I really didn't care about whether Ted could pull off the red cowboy boots. Really didn't. Even when he went to the GCWOKs' (Gay Couple Without Kids) apartment, I didn't care. It's like the writers stuck that in just to give Ted something to do.
  • Robin wasn't in this episode much, either, but at least her lust for Lily's wardrobe was funny. You'd think she'd pick a less conspicuous name to use on the L&M auction site, though; it said she was Canadian and worked for Metro News 1. Duh. "At least it stays in the family!"
  • Dr. Greer takes dog testicles to the Dumpster? Ewwww.
  • The shaky faith Marshall had in Lily's art skills may be something that's revisited later. The fortysomething Marshall and Lilly look like they had a few go-rounds like that over time.
  • I would think that most modern art would mezmerize dogs and depress birds. Just sayin'.
  • Abby wants to know if her wedding cake should be Cookie Puss or Fudgie the Whale. I's pick Gudgie... after all, he comes with his own ocean.
  • You'd think Lily wears a lot of stuff that elicits a two-syllable "Damn!" What I want to know is, if it was 2004, why did she have black hair? Other flashbacks in the episode showed Lily with the proper red hair. Did she have long black hair before the timeline of the show started (2005)? Who knows?
  • The Best Barneyism: How the only time he gets Abby's name right is when he's having sex with her. Of course, she was yelling "Ted" the whole time. Barney, of course, couldn't care less as long as he's getting some.

Oh, well. Hopefully, next week's season finale will send the show out (hopefully only until September) with a bang.

Do you want to see Britney Spears come back as Abby?
Sure. She was funny and mixes in well with the cast.235 (25.2%)
Nah. She's a distraction and isn't that funny.316 (33.9%)
Don't care. Just give me a good episode.381 (40.9%)

Larney

At first I thought Spears was annoying, but then I realized the genius of this show, and now I can't imagine Abby being portrayed by anyone else. Brittany is perfect in this role, where her lack of acting skills actually helps to make her crazy stalker character more believable and entertaining. Or as the GCWOKs' would say, she is pulling it off!

May 18 2008 at 3:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ThomasD

Britney was really great as the mousy secretary in the first episode she was in, so I was looking forward to this episode. Ugh. That was painful. In fact, this was probably the worst episode of HIMYM I've seen, and it's not just because of Britney's performance.

May 15 2008 at 6:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roxie

why is nobody mentioning the fact that in the bracket when lily was approached by the mystery girl she had curly long blonde hair and in this episode when they flashback to it, the hair is brits. I know it shouldnt bug me but with a show like this where they take even the tiniest details into consideration, it does. and lilys hair in 2004 too.......

May 13 2008 at 9:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
heinlein

I don't care about celebrities, has heard some of Britneys songs on the radio in the past, but have basically ignored her. I have sort of heard that she has had some incidents, but isn't really informed. Living in Sweden probably helps on this point. I am further terrible with face recognition, and has often seen some actor only to discover that I recognized the voice when s/he spoke. I wouldn't have known that it was Britney if everyone here haven't pointed it out before her first appearance, and told what character she would play. For me it wouldn't matter if she had played the role or if it had just been a nobody.

That said, I think she did an OK job with the role, playing awkward in a good way. She can come back... or not, whatever.

Now this episode was jast meh, I agree on that, but the best part was the Barney - Abby bits in my opinion. Ted's boots were really ugly, and I wouldn't be caught dead wearing them. M&L story was somewhat better, wait Robin's few lines were probably even bettter than anything with Barney, and Lily rubbing it in was fun otherwise that story was meh. The stereotypical guy couple, seen it on TV lots of times before, just not funny anymore, suprises are better than cliches. And the miracle ending was just as meh...

May 13 2008 at 5:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riley Freeman

the red boots were greaaaaaat. i loved that especially gcwoks i wanna see more references to that.

did anyone else notice that she looked like she was pregnant again or something where did she get that guy britney that is

May 13 2008 at 4:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
metz

The girl can't act. She was given the best lines to work with and couldn't pull them off. Take somebody with even a sliver of talent, put them in scenes with Barney, give them the lines she had and they would have hit them out of the park.

Sorry Brit, you can't act and you're not even hot enough for Barney's character these days.

May 13 2008 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

I hope to god they don't make her a regular on the show because she's the only way they can get ratings. I will second Alan Sepinwall's "when she wasn't on much I could stand it, but giving her more lines was freaking painful"-esque remarks. Bad bad bad. I totally felt like NPH was getting punished for dissing her in this episode.

Eh, not the worst episode ever to me- I didn't end it angry- but...meh.

May 13 2008 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
judi

RE: Lily's hair.
We've already seen vast attention to detail that B&T go to so let's not assume ANYone is over thinking this show. It's meant for just that (a humorous LOST if you will...)

Since the show started in 2005 with her having red hair, and they showed her before that in college with black-hardrocking freak stage-hair, maybe she just changed it before "we" joined them. Maybe?

May 13 2008 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
StrikerObi

I was so surprised to see Matt Besser show up in this episode. He was pretty funny too, even if he only had a bit part. Woo UCB!

May 13 2008 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leah

NO MORE BRITNEY!! PLEASE!!!

She can't act!