April 24, 2014

October Road hits its end

by Allison Waldman, posted May 12th 2008 11:21PM
October RoadLast week, it was Men in Trees. Now the end has officially come for another ABC drama series. ABC has confirmed that October Road is over. The long and winding road is no more, so to speak. ABC has no room in the fall lineup, apparently, and a plan to move October Road and Men in Trees to Lifetime never panned out. So all the die-hard fans who've been writing the network and crafting petitions can give it up. No amount of peanuts or blood drives -- oh, wait, that was Jericho and Moonlight. The Roadies had a different tack; buy the DVD, donate it to a library to get more people watching and writing to ABC. Despite the sincere efforts, the network still chose to end the road and move on to a newer, different show.

According to sources, the show runners for October Road have already been reassigned. They're going to take over Life on Mars, which was to be headed by David E. Kelly. Kelly agreed to let the O-Road guys take on the U.S. version of BBC's Life on Mars in exchange for ABC's commitment for a fifth season of Boston Legal.

I know the fans won't give a fig about where the executive producers land, or that one of the stars of October Road is shopping around for a new series. Roadies only care that a favorite show has ended too soon. That's exactly how the Men in Trees crowd feels. Consider it the downside of being a TV fan. I do. I still haven't gotten over Profit, and that was -- what -- 12 years ago. And don't even get me started on Now and Again.

Amanda W.

I love this show! I don't understand ABC. First MiT and now this. Maybe I we should boycott ABC all together this fall. That would send a message.

June 11 2008 at 11:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joanna

I made sure to pop over to youtube today to listen to some October Road music with some show clips...I need this show. I am a single mom...so I don't really have many things for myself outside of a full time job and going home to my kids...OR was my escape...my drug of choice! I miss this show dearly and will continue the efforts to help save this show!! Hoodehoo!!!

June 10 2008 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leslie

I am completely upset by this. I loved the show. I loved all the characters but to me the whole show was Janet and Eddie! I hate that I will never know what happened with them two. I loved both actors who played their parts. I hate that we will never know who Sam's dad is. I am disappointed. The show was addicting and I will miss it. I come from a small town and related to the characters. In a small town you make life long friends and always run in to an ex. Farewell to one of the best shows I had watched in a very very long time. (Can someone hand me a tissue please?)

May 22 2008 at 9:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amanda

October Road was one of the only original shows on ABC, I can't believe they renewed Wife Swap and Supernanny and not October Road. I am sick of all the reality junk, come on bring back October Road!

May 18 2008 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kooper

I'm pulling out an old high school cheer for the Roadies and October Road:

Go! Fight! Win!

It's simple, but it works!

May 16 2008 at 11:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amanda

I am not giving up on this show. I don't care if they say it is done, the Roadies are not giving up. We are going to continue with the Pay October Road Forward Campaign. October Road is totally worth it!

May 15 2008 at 10:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ShellMNj

This just cannot be the end of October Road. It was the only show on television that I watched faithfully. There is nothing else like it on TV!

May 15 2008 at 9:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jessann

So sad that ABC did not put October Road in their new line up. The show has amazing character and great storyline that relates to real life. Not to mention the awesome season finale that left room for so many new stories.

May 15 2008 at 8:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DreamerRoad

October Road -- FABULOUS show, unfortunate victim of bad scheduling. Not only is it really a great show with amazing characters but it had a ton of GREAT story left to tell. I am not prepared to let it go without a fight. Let's hope that ABC or some network decided to pick up this great show and give it the full season it deserves.

May 15 2008 at 7:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iLuvORoad

I love October Road and the Roadies will go on fighting to save our show. This show had heart and great characters who people actually care about. I think the networks have got to start to take notice that the reason people are mainly watching reality tv, game type shows, and weekly shows that don't keep you hanging is because so many of us through the years have watched a drama, loved it and been burned by the network cancelling the show with no closure. People want to watch shows that they know they won't be left hanging on. That is why quality shows like October Road don't get the ratings anymore. That and the fact that networks stop and start these shows, move them all over and not promote them. Audiences can't even find these shows let alone become attached. But October Road deserves to be saved or at least the fans deserve several episodes for closure.
Thanks!