Samantha Who?: The Birthday (season finale)
by Isabelle Carreau, posted May 12th 2008 11:42PM
(S01E15) "It's my birthday?" - Sam
Even if it wasn't an earth-shattering or intense episode, Samantha Who?'s season finale was satisfying. The episode wrapped up the Chloe/Todd relationship, clarified where Sam and Todd stand, and gave Sam another clean slate (she got the first one after when she woke up from the coma with amnesia). It also marked the first time that all series regulars shared a scene together.
Gallery: Samantha Who
Before I comment on the episode itself, I want to address the "It's my birthday?" line. I'm willing to buy a lot of the things that Sam forgot about herself. I can even accept that she didn't remember her birth date when she woke up from her coma. But I don't buy the fact that she still doesn't know it months after waking up. She surely looked at her driver's license at least once or wondered how old she was or went through all cards in her wallet to discover bits and pieces about herself, no?
I must admit that I was wrong about Chloe. If you recall, I predicted that she wouldn't let go of Todd easily and that she would probably stalk Sam and Todd for a while. So I was surprised when it was revealed that she wasn't lying about her aunt and that she was genuinely turning to Sam for comfort. I also expected her to make a scene when she saw Todd in the closet. Could it be that she matured since the teddy bear incident? Or maybe she'll return next season to claim her man back!
Talking about Todd, he'll have some growing up to do during the hiatus; he will have to learn how to live alone and not be with someone. Even if he sort of patched things up with Sam at the very end of the episode by starting anew with her, I don't expect her to go back to him so easily. I think she'll want to get to know herself more, maybe get a new job, a new place, and then get reacquainted and Todd and then move to the next step with him.
Since this is the final episode of the season, I must take some space to thank ABC for airing such a nice little comedy that could. Who knew months ago that this series would do well in the ratings (thanks to its lead-in Dancing with the Stars) and that it would get renewed? I enjoyed the storylines, the characters, and the lightness of the series. For the second season, I hope that the writers take time to develop Andrea and Dena a bit more and maybe even give Frank some more screen time. I also want to see Sam start a new job or even try a few different jobs before settling down. It could be fun to see her go to a temp agency and be assigned a new assignment every week. What did you think of a series as a whole? What do you want to see happen next season? Comment below!
What Samantha learned about herself this week:
- Sam wasn't afraid to tell lies in order to get out of things. She even suggested to Andrea to lie.
- Old Sam didn't use to celebrate her birthday with a party. Instead, she went to the spa with Andrea.
- The bookstore is back in to play as a place to get some lovin'.
- I'm surprised Dena didn't invite Chapman to Samantha's birthday. Not only was he Sam's boss but he's dating Dena and they have been inseparable in the last few episodes.
- Andrea discovering what a kitchen is all about thanks to Regina was fun to watch. I enjoy seeing Regina interact with either Andrea or Dena since she has a different take on life and Sam than they have.
- Tim Russ channeled his inner Tuvok in this week's episode. I could totally see the Vulcan in him when he said "There's talk of replacing me with a motion-sensing mat," or when he talked about mathematics and told Dena how to cut the cake.
- Howard may not "dress like the Internet" but he looked very good at the birthday party. Quite the improvement compared to his plaid suit.
|I didn't watch it.||2 (1.0%)|