September 1, 2014

CBS says yes to Christine & Rules, no to Shark

by Allison Waldman, posted May 13th 2008 8:29PM
Julia on ChristineCBS doesn't announce its new schedule till tomorrow, but the news is spilling out everywhere about what's in and what's out. The New Adventures of Old Christine has been given a 22-episode commitment for a third season; Shark has been sunk. For fans of the James Woods legal drama -- and I know there are lots of you out there because you've posted here -- my heart goes out to you. It was a good show, but it seems that CBS has four new dramas on deck for next season (that we have heard they're announcing tomorrow), so something had to give. It's likely that the choice came down between The Unit and Shark, with The Unit getting the renewal.

As for Christine, I say "Yeah!" I love Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Hamish Linklater (Matthew, her brother on the show) and would have been really upset if CBS let the show get away. If the network had passed on the sitcom, ABC was reportedly very, very interested in taking it on. They had visions of pairing Samantha Who? with Christine for an all-girl sitcom hour. That's not going to happen now because Julia is staying put on CBS.

Whether the show remains on Monday nights, however, is still to be determined. For the past year, it has mostly shared the 9:30 slot with Rules of Engagement, which has also been renewed. Some reporters are suggesting that CBS could be launching a second sitcom night.

faye

Taking Shark off the air and renewing unit are any of the others is just crazy(there must be something you guys are`nt saying. It was the best show on television and the cast was excellent. What `s wrong with you guys?????

March 26 2011 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob

Bad mistake - never missed a Shark episode and I will be sorry to see it go. It was always interesting and it had a top notch cast. CBS has made a big mistake. Would love to see another network pick up this show. No new show coming up next year could be better than this one.

May 15 2008 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

I love Christine. Great show. I can't stand Rules of Engagement. Get rid of it. The Unit is great too. It's too bad they cut Class after the first season.

May 14 2008 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

According to TV Squad, Moonlight might be picked up by the CW and would be on Sunday nights.

May 14 2008 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chaim

I wonder if ABC's interest made CBS renew Christine faster. They dont want to look like fools if it goes on ABC and does better. (like NBC will probably look like when Scrubs does amazing on ABC)

May 14 2008 at 10:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

Does anyone know if Moonlight was cancelled?

May 14 2008 at 7:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Paul's comment
David

Variety is reporting "Moonlight" got axed.

May 14 2008 at 8:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

I have to agree with the ladies, Emily & Amy, on this one, it really sucks that we're losing Shark, James Woods does a fantasic job in that role, so different than he is in real life! Damn, another one of my favs gone!

And Rules sucks, it's barely watchable, only because I like the 2 ladies.

Networks bigshots are idiots. Bring on 5 news shows, I hope they all tank!!

May 14 2008 at 7:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy

I'm absolutly gutted about Shark being cancelled, here's hoping all CBS' new shows fail and the building goes up in flames. :( :(

May 14 2008 at 4:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

I rented season 1 of "Christine" recently, and really enjoyed it.

May 13 2008 at 10:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

They say that tv is cyclicle with the dramas and the comedies. I sure would like to see more comedies and less than 500 cop/lawyer/medical dramas. I may give some new comedies a try but I'm not wasting any more of my time on new dramas that will just get cancelled before season 2.

May 13 2008 at 10:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to MERVE-THE-PERVE's comment
Alicia

Ditto Dude.

My husband is all about Shark, and we DVRed it, so he could watch it without me. I didn't want this to happen. (I still have a bad taste in my mouth from S60 being cancelled.)

May 14 2008 at 9:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply