July 31, 2014

Flight of the Conchords test new songs on tour

by Annie Wu, posted May 13th 2008 11:22AM
Bret and JemaineThis fan post from Oh No They Didn't! contains two super-sneaky clips of new songs from Flight of the Conchords' recent Milwaukee tour stop. The audio isn't top-notch, obviously, what with all the audience laughter, echo-y acoustics, and the overwhelming roar of girls everywhere doing that thing where they take off their bra under their shirt and then fling it on the stage. Chick magnets, Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement are. Anyway, we still have a long while to wait before their self-titled HBO show returns for a second season. Perhaps we can give a listen to this new material and start thinking about what January 2009 will bring.

The first clip is entitled "Ex-Girlfriend," which is about Jemaine's exes in a choir. Judging by the lyrics, Jemaine will fall head over heels for a lady in the next season. Lovingly whispering, "I hope that you will stick around" is quite different from growling, "In the buff, being rude, doin' stuff with the food..." Poor Coco. I can totally see an ex-girlfriend montage of all the different ways Jemaine has gotten dumped in the past.

Favorite line: "... Mona / You told me that you were in a coma / Stan / You should have told me you were a man..."

There are a lot of ladies' screaming in the second clip, so I can only imagine what kind of freakiness is actually going on during "Get Freaky." Damn the lack of video. The song doesn't sound quite as catchy as Season One's own freaky song, "Business Time," but things may change by the time the song makes it to the studio and the show.

Favorite part: [instrumental break; sudden crazed shrieking from female audience members]

Also, there is the chance that none of these songs will appear on the show, which would be a terrible tease. I seriously doubt the boys can afford to not use every bit of new material, as they do seem pressed for time and songwriting is no easy gig.

Flight of the Conchords also released an album of most of the songs from their show in late April and I absolutely recommend it. Despite the fact that "Bowie" still doesn't sound quite as good as their live renditions, the album is a solid piece of work and a must for any fan or gentleman who wants to woo girls with "Ladies of the World." Sexy stuff.

Edd

I LOVE FOTC (hehe, in particular that "doing stuff, with the food, that's if Stu's into it too" song!) Hooray! Very pleased to hear they're working on their next masterpieces.

"January 2009" is that confirmed? If so, hooray again! Now I've got two items in my TV diary - FOTC s2 and AD: The Movie (hopefully)

May 13 2008 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Edd's comment
jam

fotc is only second to AD for me, as I used the guntomyhead situation on my nfz post to *hopefully* introduce fotc to people, and then hopefully get other nofactzoner's who love AD to get excited.

Alia Shawkat was quoted saying that Mitch "was writing the script, supposedly". heh? Well, I'm happy enough to know that there are enough people clamoring for a movie to indicate that there are tons more fans now of AD, and that we are (or I am) justified in our praising and love of AD. I have said and keep telling friends that "It's the greatest show I have ever seen".

May 13 2008 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
keithnl

"...Flight of the Conchords also released an album of most of the songs from their show in late April..."

That album actually debuted at number 3 on the billboard charts beating out the new Ashlee Simpson album. Oh and thanks for calling it an album and not a CD, an album is a compendium of work irregardless of medium.

I recently re-watched the first season and it was great.

May 13 2008 at 12:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to keithnl's comment
jam

you are tremendous annie.

fotc is my favorite new zealand-ian 4th most popular guitar-based digi-bongo acapella rap funk comedy folk duo. (believe it or not, I have that actually memorized)

I think a few people over at nofactzone have heard of now or looked into fotc when i mentioned them and the new cd in the friday offtopic post/thread/discussion thingie two weeks ago. I was saying in the thread how much fun it would be for fotc to be a guest on tcr or tds.

May 13 2008 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
L.

I'm guessing during the instrumental break Bret came down off the stage playing, hence the lady screams. He tried to wander into the audience during the Ann Arbor show, but his keytar lead kept falling out, so he eventually had to abandon it. It was quite amusing.

May 13 2008 at 12:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply