November 27, 2014

How I Met Your Mother and The Unit renewed?

by Joel Keller, posted May 13th 2008 9:37AM
HIMYMWell, it looks like fans of How I Met Your Mother (me! me!) and The Unit (maybe my parents?) have some early good news ahead of CBS's upfront, which is scheduled for tomorrow: The LA Times' Show Tracker blog is reporting that both shows will be renewed (thanks to Greg for leaving a comment with the link last night).

The article talks more about HIMYM, of course, mentioning that Britney Spears' first appearance gave the show the boost it needed to carry it to a fourth season. I wish that wasn't true, but I'm pretty sure it is. As much as fans of HIMYM (me! me!) hated the distraction Brit Brit brought to the show, and really hated her wooden performance (especially last night, according to many of the commenters on my review of "Everything Must Go"), they have to admit that without the pop tart, the show might not have made it.

Sigh. Oh, well. Whatever gets the job done, right? I'll see if I can confirm the renewal when I speak to Carter Bays and Craig Thomas later today.

nattyff

i'm 25 and love the unit, ncis and himym!!!

May 14 2008 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

FREAKIN' AWESOME!!! Hearing that "The Unit" is coming back is the best news I've heard in a LONG time!!! Dang, I love that show!

Oh yeah, and I'm glad that Ted & the gang are coming back too but then again, we basically KNEW that was going to happen anyway. This was not very earth-shattering news.

On the other hand, "The Unit" was for all practical purposes written off for next season and yet here we are, MIRACLES DO HAPPEN!!!!

I never thought I would say this but... thanks CBS...

May 13 2008 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

Yes! so glad HIMYM got picked up would have been very disappointed if it didn't

May 13 2008 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

I wouldn't mind all the wives getting killed off on The Unit and just focus on them kicking-ass. Every time the action starts getting good they switch back over to Tiffy whoring it up with some other dude. If they showed some skin I wouldn't mind, but I don't see that happening.

May 13 2008 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to MERVE-THE-PERVE's comment
D-Bo

Best post in this thread.

May 14 2008 at 6:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iamhoff

Yay on both shows! HIMYM is one of teh funniest shows going (Brit or no Brit), and I always dug the Unit for being more than just another cop/CSI type show (not that there's anything wrong with CSI, NCIS, et al)

May 13 2008 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
const

with all the comments here mentioning the Unit and not HIMYM, you think TV Squad will start reveiwing the show?

HA, sure, when pigs fly.

Great news. It's a great, great show. both are actually.

May 13 2008 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to const's comment
Bash

No pigs don't flie.

They work as authors on "The Unit".

Again, liked the show. But it's become crap. They better bring Mamet back to work on the show.

I mean how many times has Tiffy now screwed her husband by screwing his superior officer? Remind me again why this show shouldn't have been canceled? Because it's so "fresh"?

May 13 2008 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beaz

Bash, the show has been renewed because Snake Doctor is a badass and the CBS guys realized that it's bad for their health to cross him by canceling his show.

Can't wait for the new season of the Unit!

May 13 2008 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
D-Bo

Funny that out of all these comments only two are about HowIMetYourMotherANdWhySHouldIGiveACrapAnyway. Listening Joel?

May 13 2008 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to D-Bo's comment
Bash

Because the comment was made on a HIMYM review post he did and he's a fan and he coulnd't care less about a show that isn't done by David Mamet at all anymore. The Unit has become a regurgitation of previously done shows while HIMYM is still re-inventing itself. And maybe, just maybe, the HIMYM fans have already posted on THAT OTHER THREAD how excited they are about the renewal so why should they post again here?

So to make you happy here goes

"I AM SOOOOOO EXCITED THAT HIMYM GOT RENEWED!!!11!1! IT IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE SHOWS!11!"

Bla..

May 13 2008 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Leach

The Unit coming back is awesome news. I don't know that there is a show I look forward to watching more.

May 13 2008 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

While I'm really happy to hear about HIMYM, I'm ecstatic to hear about the Unit! That truly is a great show!

May 13 2008 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

Well thank goodness CBS had the sense to renew HIMYM. Should've done it sooner, but hey renewal is renewal. WOO!

May 13 2008 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply