October 24, 2014

James Garner suffers stroke

by Bob Sassone, posted May 13th 2008 3:41PM

James GarnerSometimes it's really easy to forget that some of your favorite stars are getting up there in age. For example, Rockford Files/8 Simple Rules star James Garner.

The veteran actor, now 80, suffered a minor stroke the other day. Entertainment Tonight is reporting that he had surgery and will be home later this week. No other details are available at this time (even that ET page above is rather brief), but he seems to be doing well. I'm sure the TV show will have more information later today.

Older fans will remember Garner from such shows as Nichols. Really old fans will remember him from the '50s western Maverick (a role he reprised in the early '80s series Bret Maverick). Checking his credits, I completely forgot that he played God in the short-lived animated series God, The Devil, and Bob in 2000. Of course, I forget that show in general.

[via TV Tattle]

Daisy Spearow

I was wondering about him so had to look him up. I did not realize that he was 80. I was watching him in the 80s. Wow! I hope that he does well. Strokes can be hard to recover from, but none the less can be overcome. He is a beloved star of mine. I wish him the best.

January 15 2013 at 7:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SUSIE

Best wishes to James Garner.

A cute story, I think. I was an Oakland Raider's season ticket holder he was always at the games on the sideline with the team. There were four married guys with season tickets in front of me. One of them noticed him and said "what a great looking guy" and the other three agreed. This was 70's folks. Too cool.

May 14 2008 at 9:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

Wow, you're right, Bob, I didn't realize he was that old. I guess I should have, but I'm often suprised when I hear stars ages. I watched Rockford Files as a teenager. And, Sassy, I'm a guy & I really liked Murphy's Romance. Very under-rated, you just never hear it mentioned but it was really good.

I was a little shocked when I saw Paul Newman on tv at the Indy 500, he is an owner & he had a press conference on something, anyway, he's 82 now and I swear he looks 10 years older than the last time I saw him on Letterman, I don't know what is was, but he really looked haggard. Maybe he's not getting enough sleep or something.

Hope Garner recovers quickly, let's hope it's not as serious like was mentioned above with Dick Clark. Alhough, I guess there are worse things that can happen. Kirk Douglas hasn't slowed down & he had a stoke years ago.

May 14 2008 at 7:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

And how can us "old folks" >:( forget those fun Polaroid commercials with Meriette Hartley?

I'll keep a good thought for him in my prayers.

May 13 2008 at 6:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy

Oh, yes, what a low blow. "Really old fans" are still alive and kicking. Yes, what a fantastic looking guy was James Garner. I favored him over his "brother" Bart in the series of Maverick. Now that I'm really old, all I can do is dream.

"Remember friend as you pass by.
As you are now so once was I.
As I am now so shall you be.
So take my hand, and follow me."

May 13 2008 at 6:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robyn

My absolute all time favorite TV actor, love Maverick, love Rockford! Hope he makes a complete recovery.

May 13 2008 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann B Martin

He was in two of my favorite movies-
Murphy's Romance and The Notebook!

What a great actor! I wish him well!

May 13 2008 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Ann B Martin's comment
Jeff N.

Those were two great movies SassylilB. I agree.(Loved Murphy's Romance) James Garner is such a good actor. A real man's man but still with great sensitivity.
He has had a great career in TV and in Movies. The Rockford Files is one of the better TV dramas of all time. And you mentioned two great movies he was in. He was in many other great ones too. Wasn't he in the WWII flick The Great Escape? Victor/Victoria. I wish he a quick recovery.

May 13 2008 at 5:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

He's 80?! Damn, I never knew he was that old.

And just remember that we were told that Dick Clark had a "minor" stroke too and it turned out to be much worse.

May 13 2008 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Goody

Ok, I don't like that remark about really old fans remembering Maverick!! I was a mere child (about 13 actually), when I met James Garner a few days before Maverick's debut. I had no idea who he was at the time, but he was the tallest, most handsome man I had ever seen. Needless to say, I was glued to the TV when the first episode of Maverick came on later that week, and I have been a James Garner fan since them. I wish him the best and hope he has a speedy recovery.

May 13 2008 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply