July 31, 2014

Moonlight done, say CBS sources

by Jen Creer, posted May 13th 2008 4:20PM
moonlight0513082This is it, Moonlight fans. Vampires might be immortal, but this cult favorite is not. Today, sources at CBS have confirmed (though this is "not truly official" yet): The bubble has been popped, and the network has decided not to renew the series for a second season. You can't say the fans haven't tried to save this show, hosting nationwide blood drives and showering the network with garlic cloves. But according to The Hollywood Reporter, the show couldn't sustain viewers after Ghost Whisperer on Friday nights. Rabid, repeat viewings by diehard fans don't really count as multiple viewers, I guess.

This will cast a pall at this month's Moonlight Convention, I'll bet.

I have been reviewing Moonlight for TV Squad since the second episode. The show made some really great strides with storyline, vampire lore, and character development since the pilot episode, which wasn't very good. The show cultivated an intense cult following despite the fact that nearly the entire cast was replaced at the last minute. Granted, the show has hit a few speed bumps in recent episodes with some clunky, stilted acting and a horrific wig on the heroine, Sophia Myles. But I honestly believed it was strong enough to survive to a second season.

I hope the show's actors, especially Alex O'Loughlin, Jason Dohring, and Sophia Myles get a chance to be on new shows so we can see them again soon. Maybe Eric Winter will try to go back to Brothers and Sisters and create problems for Kevin and Scotty, who are newly married. Who knows?

This is the third show I've really liked this year to get canceled, following Journeyman and New Amsterdam. Do I just have really crappy taste in shows, or are executives too quick to lower the boom? The season (and now series) finale will air Friday May 16 at 9pm ET. RIP, Moonlight. You'll be missed.

cherrygirl1157

Unless it's a remake of an English show or a reality show nothing new is coming to TV

July 28 2008 at 6:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mr Gil

My guess is they will fill the time slot with another crappy reality show or some inane game show because it cost the network next to nothing to to air and it takes no talent for them to produce.

Let's hope one of the cable networks pick up the show.

July 17 2008 at 9:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara

Well, let's just see how CBS fairs next fall. I for one have written them off. We have cable in our home and we pay for the privilege. We are now watching more of the "paid" channels such as BBC America. Oh, BTW, Moonlight was number three on the list of most watched shows on LivingTV in the UK last week! Even those across the pond know something good when they see it!

May 30 2008 at 3:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
x_stormgirl

I can't believe it...I feel the same way as you and the same 3 shows....WHY...I LOVE LOVE LOVE NEW AMSTERDAM. as well as, Moonlight, Bionic Woman. Does anyone know anything about LIFE on NBC? I LOVE that show too! I hate it when they leave you hanging and don't give it a proper way to end the series. You're all right...as if we NEED another L& O or CIS spinoff. However, I do love L&O Criminal Intent but that's the only one I do still watch religiously.

May 22 2008 at 5:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lovelain

you know? i almost don't even have the energy to be mad about shows i love getting canceled anymore. why don't these networks get that they're gearing people toward not even trying a show out for fear that they'll get into it and it'll be canceled?

i guess this behind-the-scenes politics stuff that people are talking about makes sense as to why it was canceled. i mean, everyone talked about how the ratings weren't bad. even all the actors seemed to think it was a shoe-in for renewal. poor sofia myles even said, what, she'd bet her whole bank account on moonlight's renewal. whatta disappointment. i would say that i am hopeful for it to be picked up by another network, but i haven't heard any more about that type of thing happening with jericho. seems pretty futile for any show that's not a) procedural b) voyeuristic garbage or c) all about the characters various sexual relationships.

May 14 2008 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara Ivy

I agree with the kiss my a -- to CBS or should I say DUH BS:) They don't really want a good show on. They want to save money while putting on cheap shows with no storyline or acting. The fan base for ML was growing every week. Sorry but they really missed the mark on this one. I will stop watching CBS all together. No wonder cable kicks their butts every day and nite !! Well I will dl to my ipod the last 2 episodes and watch them instead of anything on TV on Friday nights. I suggest all ML fans do the same and show CBS this was a horrible decision.

May 14 2008 at 9:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leigh a.k.a. Raven777

Heartbroken and angry. What really makes me furious is that CBS promo from two weeks ago -- "You'll miss them when their gone" and "Only two more Micks" -- which makes me wonder if the decision hadn't already been made back then before #14 "Click" aired; a lot of fans and some friends of mine questioned the promo's wording and whether it meant the end of the series. What also burns me up about the way CBS has handled this is that I've heard that both Alex and Jason were told to stay on standby for renewal and not accept other offers. That to me is just heartless and cruel. CBS has jerked everyone -- fans, actors and crew -- around all spring. I've loved this show since the pilot: first show I've loved in years. Because of Moonlight I had begun watching Ghost Whisper and Numb3rs. Won't anymore, and there's nothing else I watch on CBS. Also will never look at any new TV series on any network again: will wait until it's out on DVD. Good luck, Alex, Jason, Sophia! Maybe some other network or cable channel will pick up Moonlight. I'll follow the show to any channel. But if not, I hope you all find something else wonderful. Love you all!

May 14 2008 at 8:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

Well, I just can't believe this, and Ijust read the article announcing CBS has cancelled Shark, too! Wow. Jericho, Moonlight, and Shark all in the space of a fews weeks. Thanks a lot CBS! I think the 'B' in CBS must stand for Bastards. I hope everything they try from now on fails, I know I certainly won't be watching anything new there. Why waste the time if they just can everything that doesn't hit the top 20. And they wonder why network tv is losing viewers. Here's a hint: people get sick of being jerked around.

The thing with Moonlight that I think people are forgetting is that isn't suppose to be taken seriously, it's like a comic book, it's just suppose to be fun. And it was, especially episodes like when Mick "ex-wife" tries to cure him, that was a great one.

Just go"F" yoursef, CBS!

May 14 2008 at 7:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Saavik

Sigh. I'm still happy that my top three favorite new shows of the year (Pushing Daisies, Eli Stone, and Chuck) will all be back, since I do have a tendency to fall hard for shows that don't make it past their first season. But I'm also disappointed that Journeyman, Moonlight and New Amsterdam have been cancelled. I've gotten used to the fact that Journeyman is gone and I sort of figured New Amsterdam was unlikely to make it (given Fox's history), but I was really hopeful that Moonlight would be renewed. Oh well.

May 14 2008 at 3:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julio

I think it's the latter. We will never see shows like "All in the family", "MASH", "Cheers" again. The common thread among those shows is that they were all at the bottom of the ratings during their rookie year and were given a chance during the summer to build an audience.

May 14 2008 at 1:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply