July 22, 2014

TV Squad Poll: Who the heck watches According to Jim?

by Keith McDuffee, posted May 13th 2008 1:00PM
according to jimToday ABC revealed its 2008-2009 schedule, where many fan favorites were listed as returning, along with some disappointing cancellations. Every year, though, there's one show that stands out in that list of returning shows; a show that, nearly every time its name is uttered here, gets slammed and ridiculed, boggling minds as to why, oh why, is it getting yet another season. That show is, of course, According to Jim.

Once again, According to Jim gets to continue on ABC for another season. If you read the comments here, though, it's not as though anyone is particularly happy about it. "WTF" and "you've got to be kidding me" are common reactions to this news. So, I have to wonder: if so many people seem to hate this show, despise it so much as to make it the brunt of many TV-related jokes, and to be shocked -- SHOCKED, I tell you -- that the network could continue to allow such an atrocity to linger on, then who is watching it?

Joel asked this question before, but now I want to know. After the jump I've put a poll in place to get some idea of who's behind the ratings that keep breathing life into Jim Belushi's career.
Do you watch According to Jim?
Dear lord, no! It's horrible!426 (35.4%)
Yes, because nothing else is on.118 (9.8%)
Yes, because I really like it.199 (16.5%)
I've never watched it, never cared to.420 (34.9%)
No, I would but don't have time.26 (2.2%)
Yes, because someone makes me.15 (1.2%)

Unknownloser

Death, blood, drama, reality! Is that all people are interested in now? According to Jim is a silly show that is fun. Nothing more, nothing less. Sometimes you just don't want to figure out some crime scene for a straight hour. You just want to zone out and watch something without rape, torture, murder, robbery, etc. Besides the kids on Jim were giving more acting duties this season, since Smith and Paisley were missing, and they were a joy to watch.

May 16 2008 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AT

jds65 scores points for referencing Godwin's Law.

I do find TV Squad readers and contributors smarter than your average message board participant. Almost all of the TVS participants adhere to spelling and grammar rules, comments are mostly well written, and the troll population here is low, especially compared to other websites (I think I just gave TVS a quotable testimonial). How this relates to According to Jim: We're too smart for that show. We know that funny shows don't need laugh tracks to tell us when to laugh. I don't intend to offend those of you who like the show and although it reads that way, I'm not calling you less-smart. Different tastes. Something doesn't have to be "good" to be enjoyable.

I found it funny in the first season because it was mindless, dumb humour, but after awhile the formula annoyed me.

This post, poll and conversation remind me of the last two U.S. federal elections. No one I know voted for GWB but we know what happened anyway.

May 14 2008 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peter Lynn

Why am I not surprised that the kind of person who watches According to Jim is the same kind of person incapable of capitalization or spelling out three-letter words such as "you"?

May 14 2008 at 12:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peanut

My name is Jim. Sometimes I watch the show and act like the other characters are talking to me. I try to make up witty comebacks to their straight lines. I've also been hit in the head several times in my life.

May 14 2008 at 12:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chell

Honestly, I love the show... Its funny... I get so sick of all the reality shows and dramas its nice to kick back and watch something different for a change..

May 13 2008 at 11:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaymez

It's the only sitcom I can stomach.

All the other choices are just awful.

May 13 2008 at 10:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

I don't watch it, not my bag, baby. However, the bits I've caught are not awful, just predictable and boring (but consistent). I think many people can get into that.

May 13 2008 at 5:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
heinlein

I have to say that I for one just can't stand watching ATJ and I've tried a few times when it was a part of a friday comedy block here in Sweden. It's just too stupid. I can watch and more or less just about any other modern comedy, but not ATJ. It seems to rely more than most shows on the things that I don't like in a comedy, stupid people, awkward moments and very heavy foreshadowing (it seems Jim does just about anything he knows he shouldn't and can't hide it).

May 13 2008 at 4:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riley Freeman

u know i dont know how long this show has been on but at first i was anti jim. but u know what the guy that plays his best friend. hes really funny and their stupidity together does make for some laughs. and the kids so its not that bad.

May 13 2008 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RC

The people who watch According to Jim are the people who aren't ranting on TV Squad message boards. Believe it or not WE are in the minority. If the people here were a true representation of the TV watching public then we wouldn't be sending various items to network headquarters every other week to keep our favorite shows on the air.

I'll admit I've caught a couple of episodes of Jim in syndication when I get home from work. It's not bad. It reminds me of the family friendly sitcoms of the 80s that are pretty much extinct. Can kids watch anything after 8 anymore?

May 13 2008 at 3:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply