American Idol: Top 2 Revealed

by Jason Hughes, posted May 14th 2008 8:45PM
Syesha Mercado(S07E40) This is it, the penultimate episode and possibly the most tense and contested results of the whole season. Based just on the comments here, fans of each contestant are passionate, so you can expect the world to erupt in chaos tonight, especially if David goes home. Syesha has been the comeback queen, but I don't know if she has what it takes to break through into the Finals, and after last night's performances I certainly don't think she did enough there. Join us here for our live chat and live out the excitement with billions (give or take billions) of other Idol fans and see who's going to vie for the title of American Idol in next week's finale!

You can join the chat by following this link. Look for the full episode review right here later tonight.

Three contestants remain which means there was a lot of vamping to be done to fill a one hour results show. Why not fill it with a former Idol winner who can show Syesha how "Fever" should be sung on that stage: Fantasia. At least the choreography for that horrible opening number was as horrible as expected. The three remaining contestants are so very different in singing style and genre that they should never really be singing together on the same song as it's just not going to work for all of them. Tonight the number went better for Syesha than the Davids. With all the potential of the Top 24, how did we end up with this Final Three? Are these the best three vocalists in the competition? I don't think so, but then this happened to us last year as well, didn't it. And this was the week we lost Melinda Doolittle, arguably the strongest vocalist of the Top 3.

Need more American Idol? Get an inside look at Season 7's contestants and think back to these scathing (and hilarious) Simon Cowell quotes.
Also: Don't forget to choose your favorite Idol!!
Ford Commercial - "Heaven"
The best part of this Ford commercial was how amazing Syesha looked in it. Beyond that, I can believe that Syesha dreams of gold records and David Cook of strings of guitars and cars, but does David really dream of his picture at the bottom of a pool? I doubt it.

"Bore Me (Yawn)," Fantasia
Fantasia always knew how to command the Idol stage with an infectious energy that's rarely been paralleled, save by fellow winner Taylor Hicks. I was one of those people who absolutely loved both singers for their unique voices, and Fantasia had some of the most amazing performances ever on the show. But this song was a bit strange for me. She sounded like classic Fantasia on it, but it was so frenetic throughout, it was an odd fit for the usually treacly performances that make up American Idol. I loved the cut to Simon's face, who wasn't getting it at all.

David Archuleta Goes Home
Little David was all smiles throughout his video package, I think he never stopped his awkwardly uncomfortable giggling on his entire trip home. He hit up the local news, radio and then hit the mall, declaring that he didn't think very many people would be there. I guess he's never watched the show as there's always a lot of people who show up to greet finalists, except I think for Katharine McPhee from jaded LA.

David was moved to tears by the tremendous support back home. And he said "Gosh" about a million times. It was a beautifully sincere moment for the Archuleta family and for the mayor's amazing mustache. After the video package he said "Gosh" again because we got to see him cry. Then they showed his American Idol journey so far, so I guess you can fill an hour by doing a goodbye package for all three finalists, too.

Syesha Mercado Goes Home
Syesha was all smiles and so appreciative to have made the Top 3. She hit the morning news show before heading off to sign some autographs and being moved to tears of her own when Syesha Mercado Day was declared for her home county. She was met by her entire extended family in her neighborhood for a brief visit before trekking off to her high school.

Syesha's trip didn't seem to have nearly the crowd support of David Archuleta until she came over the crowd in Sarasota by helicopter for her performance. In tears, she declared again that she was living her dream. Ryan then ran down her performances from the night before and we got her farewell package. She got Fantasia for her farewell video music, I guess because they're both black and both women. Way to put some effort into that selection, Idol.

David Cook Goes Home
Ryan revealed that at the Omaha audition, David went in having no intention of auditioning. But when cameramen were interviewing his brother, whom he was there to support, they started to interview him and essentially pushed him to audition as well. If he wins this thing, what a crazy story to tell about how he got his big break. He owes those folks something big. And his brother was a tremendous sport, brought up on stage to tell the story.

David one-upped the other contestants by giving the weather forecast during his morning news visit. Despite the weather, David was blown away to be greeted by a huge fan for his outdoor mini-concert. He then snuck to his elementary school to surprise his music teacher for inspiring him to get into music in the first place. This was done in the auditorium in front of the screaming student body; was it really a surprise? The Idol cameras tried to catch David in tears, but while overwhelmed he was able to keep things mostly under control. He even got to throw out the first pitch at a Royals game. All in all, an amazing experience for David. And he got Daughtry, another "rocker" for his farewell video proving that those folks at Idol are just that clever.

Finale Bound
Fifty-six million votes later, we're finally ready to see which of these kids is going to face off in the Idol finale next week. The writing would seem to be on the wall for Syesha, again, as the Davids seem to have been on a Finals collision course for months now. First through the gate was David Archuleta, but it was only to introduce his going home and farewell videos, which we were going to get for all three contestants. There's no reason to divide the kids up anymore. Syesha Mercado came out second to get her video treatment, followed by David Cook and his.

Rather than announce the people going home, Ryan announced the contestants heading to the finale, and it was the inevitable David v. David finale everyone's been anticipating. Syesha has nothing to be ashamed of as she did an amazing job to get this far. Had she put together a stellar Tuesday night yesterday maybe she could have gotten in to the finale, but even then it would have been a likely long shot.

My Picks
If I get it right next week, then I can wind up still just shy of .500, but I guess I'll take it. With the right pick on Syesha, I crept up to 10-12.

Your Picks
You guys kept up your strong run, picking Syesha as well elevating your total to 14-8.

Who should have gone home?
David Archuleta681 (32.9%)
David Cook148 (7.2%)
Syesha Mercado1238 (59.9%)

Mike K

Um they didn't pick "I Believe" because it's a "black woman" song. They picked it because Syesha sang it during Inspirational week.

Honestly, for someone who recps this show every week this guy sure has a bad short-term memory.

May 16 2008 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mike K's comment
Jason Hughes

David Cook never sang that Daughtry song and they chose it for him. Regardless of if she sang it or not, it's still a plausible rationale, methinks.

May 16 2008 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ranz

Something nice about Archie and Cookie during the Top 3 results night (shows both of them are really humble!):

Archie: When Ryan Seacrest announced the names of American Idol's two finalists Wednesday, each thought he was going to hear another's name.
"I couldn't believe it. I thought he was going to say David Cook," says David Archuleta, 17, named the first finalist as Cook and Syesha Mercado awaited their verdict.During an interview shortly after the show, Archuleta said: "I just feel like shock. Am I really in the top two of American Idol?"
Only one can win, but the finalists praise each other. "I've always looked up to Cook and admired all the work he's done with his talent," Archuleta says. "To be here standing next to him is just unbelievable."

Cook: Cook, 25, says he thought he would be going home. "I thought my ticket was punched. I honestly did," he says. "Syesha is an amazing performer, and she really hit her stride in the last two, three, four weeks."

May 16 2008 at 8:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ranz

Hey, I came across this at the main American Idol forums for Archie. Apparently, he has an alternative duet album out in Itunes. The 2 songs are not bad, I like the Angels in the Alleyway in particular. He should make his future album like this and definitely not R&B (With You) disaster he did.

If you go onto iTunes, search for Merrick Christensen - Fear vs. Faith (feat. David Archuleta) and you will see that the album has him doing a duet with Merrick Christensen. The album was released on May 11th, 2008

another source here: http://www.merrickchristensen.com/music.php

May 16 2008 at 8:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Mc

Fantasia's performance made me wince. It was horrible. The song, the dancing, the hair, the yelling...yuck.

Go Cook!

May 15 2008 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

David Archuleta is the same singer as Clay Aiken. Kids don't buy those records. Because of his father's abuse I suspect David A. will be seeing a psych his whole life.

May 15 2008 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kenban

On the one side I hope David Cook wins. But I also understand that second place is often better then first because your not forced into the AI contract so you can sign with someone else.

In the long run the winner will often end up worse off then the person who gets in second place.

May 15 2008 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shereeda

i hope David Cook wins.. he's by far the best they had on AI this year... had like what 2-3 bad performances? which werent bad just not to his standards... 2nd place doesnt give much liberty as to what songs he can do.. so he might as well win ...

May 15 2008 at 9:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pamela

If David Archuleta doesn't win, he can thank his interfering Father for that. Idol does not want to deal with that kind of parent/manager when a minor is under contract. He will do fine, however, as a male Miley Cyrus type, all the young girls will love him, there will be a David Archuleta doll, David A. clothes (t-shirts), David A. sold-out concerts for those teenagers, and sincerely, I wish him well.

David Cook deserves to be the Idol. He's so talented, humble, mature, and cute. He needs a makeover, however, and I' m sure he'll get it.

Sayesha is so talented, and I will look forward to seeing her on Broadway. Total classy, and gorgeous lady. I would kill for her figure!!

May 15 2008 at 9:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Leach

That performance by Fantasia was pure comedy gold! I couldn't stop laughing the whole time. I really wanted to fast forward through it, but I couldn't. She sounded horrible, she looked ridiculous, and she danced like a chicken. I may have to download that performance to watch whenever I need a laugh.

I would have liked to see Syesha make it to final 2, but with the fan base of the David's it wasn't going to happen.

May 15 2008 at 9:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Richard Leach's comment
Karen

Funny ....I called someone and told them to tune into AI so they could see Fantasia...she looked like a rooster on crack!

May 15 2008 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MH

Simon's reaction to the performance was priceless!

We were in shock while Fantasia was performing. It was, er, strange on so many levels. The singing. The dancing. The four back-up dancers. The outfit. The hair. The often unintelligible lyrics. The lyrics that were intelligible. What in the world? I liked Fantasia when she won AI. She's come a long way from the young woman who just wanted to make a better life for herself and her young child. I'm just not sure she went a long way in the right direction if last night's performance is any indication. Maybe it was an off night? Hopefully?

May 15 2008 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

I didn't watch the season that Fantasia won and I'm glad I didn't. That was hands down the worst song I have ever heard. Screeching, shouting, off key, crap. I was stunned at the level of pure awfulness. Loved Simon's reaction. He couldn't believe that crap was coming from the Idol stage. From a former winner!

Syesha will do great on Broadway. Archie will sell millions to the tweens. David Cook will give Daughtry a run for the money.

I would love to see a duet with Cook and Daughtry. Mabe Archie could do a Disney soundtrack duet with Jordin Sparks. She could use the career boost.

My prediction is that Archie will win.

May 15 2008 at 8:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply