September 1, 2014

Another '80s show is coming to the big screen - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted May 15th 2008 3:03PM

I Love The 80sOK, so one of the scenarios below is actually true. Can you guess which one?

a.) Superbad star Jonah Hill is going to write and star in a big screen adaptation of 21 Jump Street.
b.) Nicolas Cage is going to star in a big screen version of the action series Riptide.
c.) George Clooney will star in and direct a movie version of Magnum, P.I.

After the jump, the answer.

If you answered d.) Ian Ziering will star in a big screen version of The Greatest American Hero...that's false. Actually, the answer is a. Superbad star Jonah Hill is going to write and produce a movie version of the Johnny Depp show 21 Jump Street. He might even star in it. Stephen J. Cannell, who produced the TV version, will also co-produce the new movie.

Is there a big enough audience for a movie based on 21 Jump Street? Would they even be thinking about it if Depp hadn't become a real star (and will he do a cameo)? I can imagine other 80s shows on the big screen: Magnum, P.I., Remington Steele, even MacGyver (but only with Richard Dean Anderson, damn it!), and I'm curious as to what they think they can do with this film. Though I guess it all comes down to the writing and the cast.

Bash

21 Jump Street can not be put on the big screen. Impossible. What made the show great was the fresh actors - young Jhonny Depp especially. That's what made the show original. How can they reproduce that on the big screen? I say it's impossible.

May 15 2008 at 10:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann B Martin

You mean we won't get a GAH movie! gosh darn it! I am so upset!
But I will be happy if 21 jump street movie!

May 15 2008 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JLM

Hey Bob, what about bringing "Hardcastle and McCormick" to the big screen? I think that Daniel Hugh Kelly would be available for a cameo.

May 15 2008 at 4:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike m

i dont care about 21 jump street, but i think the jonah hill thing will draw a lot of people to see it, as well as the fans of 21, my twin sister being one of them. As for me...i'm just counting the days until A-Team gets a release date...it is gonna be awesome.

Of course, Get Smart is coming out soon too...just another reason to get excited!

May 15 2008 at 4:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ORKMommy

As soon as I saw Ian as GAH I could totally picture it! I can't see Clooney doing Magnum. I don't remember Riptide and I wasn't a 21 Jump Street fan.

May 15 2008 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

@TvLover: sounds better than Jump Street written by Hill

May 15 2008 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

Frankly, I think the GAH with Ian would be awesome!

May 15 2008 at 4:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

Well, I think the show was definitely huge and had a huge following. But it's not a unique story like Magnum P.I. It could be good without at all sticking to the original show.

Jonah Hill scares me the most about this. I'd be more likely to be interested in a real action/drama version of the show. The idea of a comedic version like the Starsky and Hutch movie sickens me.

May 15 2008 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply