April 19, 2014

TV Obits: Law, DeRoy, Stone, Hanrahan

by Bob Sassone, posted May 15th 2008 8:06AM

John Phillip LawA roundup of TV people from in front of the camera and behind the scenes who have passed away.

• John Phillip Law: He was a veteran actor best known for such films as Barbarella, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, The Cassandra Crossing, Tarzan The Ape Man, and Hurry Sundown. He appeared in many TV shows over the years, including The Love Boat, Murder, She Wrote, It's A Living, and The Young and the Restless. He died in Los Angeles at age 70.

• Richard DeRoy: He was a television writer who wrote for several TV shows from the late 40s to the early 90s, including The Twilight Zone, Remington Steele, Hawaii Five-O, Hart to Hart, The Name of the Game, The Flying Nun, Rat Patrol, Peyton Place, Surfside 6, 77 Sunset Strip, Checkmate, Studio One, The Father Dowling Mysteries, and The Partridge Family. He died in Los Angeles at age 77.

• Ron Stone: He was a veteran TV journalist, anchoring the news in Houston, TX for 30 years. He died of cancer at age 72.

• Jack Hanrahan: He was also a veteran TV writer, penning such shows as Get Smart, Laugh-In, Frankenstein Jr., Marcus Welby, M.D., The Waltons, Police Story, CHiPs, Inspector Gadget, Captain N and the New Super Mario World, The New Archies, and The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour. He died at age 75 after suffering for years from mental problems and heart problems.

Holland Lovey

John Philip Law has a movie coming out this year sometime too: http://hollandlovey.justfree.com/index.php/2008/05/16/john-philip-law-1937-2008/

May 16 2008 at 12:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

RIP Ron Stone. I grew up in Houston watching him on the local news. He was a great journalist and had a great tv magazine show called The Eyes Of Texas. He would always find the most interesting stories, places, and characters in the state for that show. I always wished there could be a show like that covering all 50 states.

May 15 2008 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura

Pygar was beautiful.

May 15 2008 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucyfan62

The Golden Voyage of Sinbad was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid. How sad!

May 15 2008 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj green

Oh, my. I had such a crush on him in Barbarella. How sad. He had the most amazing eyes. He's been in my fantasies for years.

May 15 2008 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KMF

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Not John Phillip Law! This is sad news. I was just talking about him with my boyfriend the other day. We both loved him in not only Sinbad, but Danger:Diabolik! and of course Barbarella. I'm bummed.

May 15 2008 at 8:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply