August 29, 2014

Ellen Degeneres to marry Portia de Rossi

by Anna Johns, posted May 16th 2008 1:05PM
ellen degeneres; portia de rossiOn today's episode of The Ellen DeGeneres Show, Ellen will announce that she and long-time girlfriend Portia de Rossi are getting married.

Her announcement is in response to this week's ruling from the California Supreme Court that everybody has a "right to marry" whomever they choose. The justices ruled that the state's ban on gay marriage is unconstitutional. It makes California the second state, after Massachusetts, that will allow same-sex marriage. The legal battle began in San Francisco when the mayor allowed same-sex couples to marry (Rosie O'Donnell and her partner, Kelly, married at that time).

Ellen and Portia have been together since December of 2004 when de Rossi was still on Arrested Development. And speaking of de Rossi, she has been cast in a co-starring role of a new comedy pilot for ABC. The series is from Victor Fresco, a writer and producer on My Name is Earl. It will be a single-camera series about "a moral guy trying to do right in an amoral world."

*Please keep your comments in check. If you have something hateful to say about homosexuality or gay marriage, it is not welcome here.

Sheridan Fortescue

It is reported that if the resort where the Palm Springs nuptials of Ellen DeGeneres and Portia DiRossi is not ready for their October date, philanthropist Craig William Baskin has offered his home in Palm Springs, the "Waterfall House", designed by noted Modernist archtiect James Cioffi, for their big event. Baskin is the cousin of the late Princess Grace of Monaco, who spent time in Palm Springs with Cary Grant, James Stewart and Alfred Hitchcock during her Hollywood film career. The Waterfall House features a waterfall which flows off the roof into the pool, amidst the setting of the San Jacinto mountains in Palm Springs' South End, near the residences of Barry Manilow and Suzanne Sommers.

July 15 2008 at 6:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
janet elbag

Hi,Ellen &PORCHSA ,I AM SO VERY HAPPY THAT YOU AND YOUR GIRLFRIEND ARE KNOW ABLE TO MARRY.I WISH MY BROTHER WHO WAS ALSO WAS STILL ALIVE TO BE ABLE TO SEE THIS,HIS BOYFRIEND KEEPS IN CONTACT WITH MY FAMILY WHO WE LOVE DEARLY,I HAVE SPOKE TO YOU MANY TIMES ABOUT HIM ,WHAT YOU ARE ABLE TO FINALLY ACCOMPLICE ,WILL ALWAYS STAY IN MY HEART AND CHERISH FOREVER.LOVE YOU TWO GO FOR IT JANET.

June 17 2008 at 5:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
janet elbag

Ilet every body know I had a gay brother,you could not find a better person the love for his mate ,not to mentions the love of our mom of 12 children who excepted and most of us kids,some had there own opinion but for the most part we love him dearly,my brother passed away at the age 40, My 3 children were
brought up to understand and still have good feelings.
most people I know are kinder and nicer then you know.
So Ellen and Porsha I wish the best of luck and hope you
could get married soon,I wish my brother was alive to see it.Love you two and spend my day playing your game
Texas hold em

May 26 2008 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
janet elbag

bye talk to you later

May 26 2008 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to janet elbag's comment
janet elbag

Please remove these ones it has my last name #17

71/#18/#19 Just remove my last name,to many mean
people out there. Thank You

May 27 2008 at 7:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
janet elbag

Ilet everybody know,that it should have been legal when
it was legal for every body,maybe this world would be alot
better,I have gay friend that are better than others,Love
you Ellen and Porsha are a great couple go for it ,love your shows never miss them.

May 26 2008 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
janet elbag

where did my story go

May 26 2008 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dz

I cant believe it has taken this long to become legal in America, I also cant believe it's not yet legal in all states of America. I think this is a fantastic step. I hope Ellen and Portia have a great day.

May 26 2008 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

Look what the homosexuals have done to her!

May 17 2008 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Edd's comment
Peter

She can't just comb that out?

May 17 2008 at 10:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Suetu

I remember that last round of marriages. I walked over to SF City Hall on Valentine's Day. It was wonderful!

Mazel tov, Ellen & Portia!

May 17 2008 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alvaro

@ jmps:

Thanks

that means more to me than youll NEVER know

May 16 2008 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply