September 1, 2014

I hate you, Insider TV show

by Bob Sassone, posted May 16th 2008 2:41PM

John MayerI've written many times here about how much I hate the tabloid shows, whether it's Access Hollywood, TMZ, or Entertainment Tonight. One of the worst is ET's sister show, The Insider. Besides having a despicable host (Pat O'Brien -- what's with that little fake laugh he does all the time?) and the lamest writing this side of a junior high student newspaper, it's also evil and dumb.

Take last night's episode. I don't watch the show, but I didn't get to my remote quick enough to change the channel after the news ended and I caught the teaser opening. They showed singer John Mayer with a gun to his head, a rather raw photograph that looked like it was taken across the street from a bank. Was Mayer being held hostage in a holdup? Was one of Jennifer Aniston's exes there telling him not to see her anymore? OMG! Stay tuned to this breaking news!

And they teased the whole damn thing for the whole show. At least four times they said something about the dire circumstances that John Mayer was in, a gun pointed to his head. O'Brien and Lara Spencer said these teasers in very serious tones. Mayer had a serious look on his face. My God, this must be serious!

I pretty much knew what it was (it was either a video shoot or some equally innocuous event), but I had to stay tuned to see how long they pushed this tease and when they would actually reveal the answer. And when did they do it? At the very end of the show. You actually had to sit through 30 minutes of mind-numbing celebrity news shit (oh wow, we have footage of Britney Spears buying coffee!) and teases for Entertainment Tonight (the latest news about Miley Cyrus coming up in 17 minutes and 5 seconds!) to find out that the paparazzi photographed Mayer taking a self defense class. So he wasn't being held prisoner. I guess we would have heard about that at the top of the show (funny how something labeled as a "breaking development" can wait to the end of the show).

(And if you're wondering why I didn't provide a link to the Insider web site above, well, they don't deserve one.)

jeff stiefer

oh the local news channels here in the central valley, cali are BAD about teases!! The ABC affiliate here is especially bad. They have this deep voiced man delivering some line in between sitcoms about "What deadly toxin is killing your children in your own home...find out tonight at 11"

May 16 2008 at 10:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

It's like the news promos when they say 'There is something in your house that will kill your family instantly. Find out what it is on our 10 PM newscast.' Then they make you wait until 10:20 and it winds up being something dumb. If they were really worried about our safety, they would let us know during the news promo.

May 16 2008 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wheel see

I hate you, TV Squad blog

for making click through the continue reading button on Google Reader and then summarizing last nights episode of The Insider(I had it DVR'd) but now it's ruined(although if you could tell me what kind of coffee Britney was drinking, I would appericate it).

These type of posts should be in Spoilers Anonymous

-wC

May 16 2008 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JW

That's why I love The Soup! Joel seems to hate TMZ or at least someone there doesn't. As for the whole teaser thing, it seems like the local news stations do the same thing. They were advertising that fast food restaurants had ice with bacteria in it, which I really wanted to see, but they decided out of state tornadoes were more important and after 10 minutes I turned it off to read a book.

May 16 2008 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

I couldn't agree with you more Bob.

These shows are horrible, but they must have a fanbase for them so thats saying something also. I was just thinking about the point of these shows the other day, and its just that people are nosy. I really don't care what a celebrity does in there free time, there just regular people when not in front of a camera.

May 16 2008 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

The tease is too get the stupid uninformed people to watch the show. It seems they pulled you right in.

May 16 2008 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Oreo's comment
Bash

*pats Oreo on the back*

I love you man. Great comment :-D

May 16 2008 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lucas

Awesome job Oreo, I couldn't agree more.

May 18 2008 at 10:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply