December 19, 2014

Kelsey asks CBS to save Back to You

by Allison Waldman, posted May 16th 2008 8:00AM
back to youFrasier has left the building, but Kelsey Grammer hasn't. Or maybe he just doesn't want to. The actor, whose Fox situation comedy, Back to You, was canceled after just one season, doesn't want to call it quits. He wants the show to continue and he's so determined, he's even lobbied for the show personally. The Emmy award winning star phoned CBS executives -- including CBS CEO Les Moonves -- to plead the case for Back to You.

When Kelsey phoned, Les took the call, and he even told Grammer that he'd "think about it," that is, moving Back to You to CBS. However, when Kelsey followed up with a call to Nina Tassler, CBS Entertainment prez, she dismissed it. There really was no room on the CBS schedule for another sitcom; even Rules of Engagement (which CBS has a vested interest in bringing back) won't be broadcast till mid-season next year. There's no mention of Kelsey calling ABC or NBC; perhaps they didn't take his call?

I have to say that it's hard to believe that Kelsey Grammer would put himself out there for a show as mediocre as Back to You. He told Reuters, "I really believe in the show. If I didn't, I wouldn't have tried to fight for it."

Really, why? I mean, seriously, Back to You never lived up to the hype of two major stars -- Grammer and co-star Patricia Heaton -- and the writers from Frasier. In fact, it was the ill-conceived concept that did the show in. The whole idea that a conceited news anchor like Chuck Darling would return to his old stomping grounds -- Pittsburgh -- to reteam with another news personality, Kelly Carr, and stick around after finding out that she had his child after a one-night stand 10 years before, was ridiculous. He would have hopped the first JetBlue out of PA.

Comic situations work best when the principals are forced together -- like Frasier being forced to care for his father because he cannot put him in a nursing home (and Niles couldn't take him). In Everybody Loves Raymond, Ray and Deborah are stuck living across the street from his parents and brother -- they can't get away. That's funny.

In retrospect, Back to You might have worked better without the entire daughter angle. But it doesn't matter now. This sitcom is over and all the calls in the world to network brass won't save it.

mateo096

I would like to nominate the author of this article for Moron of the Year Award.

May 26 2008 at 11:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andrew Gash

Every news article online that mentions the cancellation of Back to You is followed exclusively by comments praising the show and critizizing Fox. This is the case even if the story is not entirely about Back to You. This article is the first I've read to speak negatively about the show. I have not laughed harder and more consistently at any show in my life.

May 25 2008 at 12:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
betsie

Back to You "mediocre"? Huh? This is one of the best shows in a long time like a breath of fresh air, amongst too many violent murder shows. Sorry Allison, I don't think you know what you're talking about. This show makes people laugh - and does it consistently week after week - and isn't laughing something we all need these days!

May 19 2008 at 3:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julie

God, this show was incredible. The writing, the acting, the storylines, the chemistry 0 there was really not a single bad thing about this show. I think the only bad thing was that it ended up on FOX. It was on CBS, or even ABC, the show would have probably been the first to get renewed for a seconds eason. What a shame that FOX is run by a bunch of numbskulls.

BTW, you can sign this online petition to save the show: http://www.petitionspot.com/signature/back2useason2

There's also an online campaign going around for this show, where you can write letters or send bottled water or empty water bottles to FOX or CBS: http://savebacktoyou.webs.com/

May 17 2008 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
louise reynaert

Hello!

First of all, I loved the show. It is true with the comment of Jeff N. and I agree with him. Kelsey Grammer is a fine actor and I know he would have found a way to make it better. He did a great job with his team. The show must go on.

May 17 2008 at 10:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Riley Freeman

i agree seinfeld took sometime to hit its stride and it turned out to be the greatest show EVER. i have all the dvds but trust me i dont watch anything prior to season 4. there are funny episodes but not as consistent as everything after season 4.

this was a good show and i hope someone picks it. maybe the cw can stop puttin on teeny gossip crap and put on a decent show for once. smallville was the only show i watched and after that mediocre season finale its time they (as dave chappelle would say ) "WRAP IT UP"

May 16 2008 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

NBC has plenty of room on their schedule. They could just cancel one of their many crap reality shows to make room for it.

May 16 2008 at 1:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff N.

Anybody see the last show of 'Back to You'? It was very funny. Sitcoms can take awhile to hit their stride. Their are plenty of examples of that. Dick Van Dyke, Cheers, Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond all improved in content and ratings as time went on. I think this show had potential to be a very good sitcom. Fox programmers have a long history of short patience. I think CBS or any network would be smart to let them film another 13 shows and see how the show progresses.

May 16 2008 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

He should call ABC they have room for it.

May 16 2008 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shawn K

I really liked this show (sorry Allison). The writing was solid, it wasn't filled with today's status quo of one liners and catch phrase humor. The central cast was solid, but I didn't care for replacing two of the characters out of the blue. I hope CBS picks it up.

May 16 2008 at 9:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply