October 24, 2014

Montel Williams airs his last show today

by Allison Waldman, posted May 16th 2008 12:03PM
Montel WilliamsIt's the end of an era today. One of the longest running syndicated talk shows is airing its last show. The Montel Williams Show wraps today after 17 years of discussion, controversy, interviews and inspiration. But just because the show is ending, that doesn't mean Montel is going away. At the final New York City taping in March, he explained to the adoring throng, "I'm not retiring. I am stopping The Montel Williams Show, but I am not, in any way, shape or form, stopping anything else that I'm doing."

Williams' show has actually been one of the more dignified syndicated daytime talk shows, a step above Jerry Springer and Maury Povich, but not quite The View or Ellen DeGeneres. His style could be compared to Phil Donahue, especially in his desire to be a change agent. He really cared about the people who appeared on his program; it wasn't about being a ring leader to a freak show, as Jerry is, or confronting people with DNA tests like Maury does. Montel was not into that stuff.

In 1996, Montel was honored with the Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Talk Show Host, a surprise at the time because one of the people he beat for the award was Oprah Winfrey (yes, she was still competing back then, not like now when she doesn't submit herself for the nominating process).

The former Marine and occasional actor (he appeared on JAG as a Navy SEAL and in 2002 played a judge on All My Children), Montel also played in the 2007 World Series of Poker -- to donate his winnings to the families of Iraq soldiers. On his talk show, he tackled serious issues, such as drugs, date rape, sexual abuse and AIDS, and shared his own struggles with MS (multiple sclerosis) with his viewers. He started the Montel Williams MS Foundation to help others afflicted with the disease. On TV, he is the spokesman for the Partnership for Prescription Assistance (PPA), a program to get medication to those who cannot afford to pay for prescription drugs.

Despite keeping busy with other projects, there will be a hole to fill in Montel's life without the talk show. As he said, "It has not dawned on me yet. And it won't hit me until I don't have to come back here."

jstcuzicanno

would love to see the episode I was in but cant find it anywhere...we were told we could purchase it but no one would take calls after we got back home and FYI people montel wasn't all peachy he was judgemental and refused to listen to the truth ....only wanted a fight for ratings

July 30 2013 at 5:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brigitte Chicoine

oh i miss Montel so much, what ever happened to him ? is he still in tv ? i never hear about him anymore , i'ed love to hear about him ,,
Brigitte

February 22 2009 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judith Ruiz

OMG, I am so sorry to hear that there will no longer be a Montel Williams Show! As he is a very sincere and a down to earth person and I can tell you at first hand. Because I had the previliage to meet him in person while he was taping one of his shows! And as for Sylvia Browne if you haven't met her you shouldn't knock her as a matter of fact that is why I went to the first show I wanted to meet her and get a reading because I was going thru some heavy changes.. And while I was not choosen on air my daughter was and Sylvia gave her a reading which was on the money and she hit on why we were there, of course everyone cannot go on air. So in between airing while the commercials she did some readings and the audience was able to ask questions! And she answered my question about my decease moms and added something that I was experiencing, which there was no way she could have known... I have always believed in her and she only affirmed that belief! So Like I said befre don't be quick to talk about something you know nothing about!!! She will also be missed as far as I am concern...Montel I wish you all the luck in whatever you choose to do you!
God Bless China50

July 23 2008 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DOVE

I AM SO SAD. MONTEL IS WONDERFUL. HE HAS AND I AM SURE CONTINUE TO HELP SO MANY PEOPLE. HE GIVES ME FAITH, IN OTHERS. IN TODAYS WORLD, IT SEEMS THAT PEOPLE LOOK THE OTHER WAY, WHEN OTHERS ARE IN ANY KIND OF TROUBLE. NOT MONTEL, HE LOOKS AT THEM AND GOES INTO ACTION. I WILL MISS HIS SHOW, I KNOW HE WILL CONTINUE HIS ACTS OF GOOD WILL, BUT I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO TUNE IN AND WATCH HIM.

June 25 2008 at 11:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich

Sylvia Brown was my first thought too.

"Sylvia, will I have a child some day?"

"Yes, dear, you will have... either a girl or a boy."

ooohhhh [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap] [clap]

May 16 2008 at 8:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Rich's comment
Judith Ruiz

Hey, you should not make fun at something you know nothing about!!!

July 23 2008 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rocketboy_X

Good. Now that fraud Sylvia Browne has one less way of defrauding people who are already emotionally destroyed. It could not have happened too soon.

May 16 2008 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
slutty_whore

Montel started off just as reckless as the tv talk shows of today, but found somewhat of a niche after he started getting trounced in the ratings... come on, he was full of bombast and really got annoying and cloying (whatever happened to Matt Waters, that show he starred in that never made it past maybe two episodes...) when trying to get "authorities" or "political figures" to fight for the cause du jour.... I won't miss his show per se, I'm sure he just got passed over for a new court show!

May 16 2008 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

He wasn't into that stuff? What about Syliva Browne? Heh...

May 16 2008 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply