October 24, 2014

Oprah brings the Mary Tyler Moore Show cast together on Monday

by Bob Sassone, posted May 16th 2008 3:00PM

Mary Tyler MooreHave you ever wondered if Mary Tyler Moore can still turn the world on with her smile? You'll be able to find out this Monday on Oprah.

The daytime talk show host will host a reunion of the show. Not only will she get all of the surviving cast members together (Moore, Valerie Harper, Ed Asner, Betty White, Gavin MacLeod, Cloris Leachman, and Georgia Engel), they will also have duplicates of the WJM set and the set for Mary's apartment on the stage (the link above includes a preview of the show - no idea why Oprah is crying).

While I liked Moore's other show, The Dick Van Dyke Show, a lot more than this, The Mary Tyler Moore Show was and is quite good. It will be fun to see all of the cast together again, especially since Moore doesn't always do these type of things (she's not on the DVD DVDs or MTM DVDs, for example).

Wait, no John Amos? Come on, you gotta have Gordie too!

Will-O

Someone said they were going to use this to announce the FULL 7 season DVD set? It's stuck at Season 4. I missed it from the last break but it didn't seem they did? And considering what the author said about her disdain for the DVDs (they don't pay her) makes me wonder! Well, amazon is keeping a "list" of those who want to continue with Season 5
Will

May 19 2008 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

oprah is prolly crying because Mary was one of her biggest heroes/inspirations when she was young. Her producers surprised oprah once with mtm, presumably the first time oprah had met her, and oprah was doing an ugly cry, it was ridic

May 17 2008 at 4:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

MTM was on That 70's Show the last few seasons as Jackie's boss.

May 16 2008 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bad Mojo

I use to love that show! But between her pandering and crying it's a total miss. I'll let my wife give me the synopsis :)

May 16 2008 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Wow, I would absolutely watch this, if Oprah wasn't on it. I can't stand her, and even a reunion of one of the best shows on TV ever is skippable if Oprah and her all-encompassing EGO is smothering it.

May 16 2008 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kmigdal

Wow. What a flash back that'll be. I watched way too much Mary Tyler Moore Show as a kid. The last time I remember seeing Ms. Moore act was in "Flirting With Disaster." I kind of agree with you on liking the Dick Van Dyke show better (I watched way too much of that too). Thanks for the tip.

May 16 2008 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply