Taylor Hicks headed for Broadway

by Brett Love, posted May 16th 2008 11:06AM

Taylor HicksWith Clay Aiken having wrapped up his run as Sir Robin in Spamalot, the Idol quotient on Broadway was down. Fortunately for theatergoers, it's Taylor Hicks to the rescue. Kind of. He's a bit of a step down from Clay Aiken, isn't he? I mean, Clay's new album debuted at number four, and Taylor was dropped from his label.

Whichever way you see it, Hicks will be joining the cast of Grease to take on the role of Teen Angel. Should you be in the area, you can head over to the Brooks Atkinson Theater and hear his version of "Beauty School Dropout." An interesting TV side-note, this production of Grease stars Laura Osnes and Max Crumm. You may remember them as being the winners of the ill-fated NBC show, You're The One That I Want.

Susan11

I just read your 1st comment. What are you, two?

Try reading some of the great interviews from Taylor , maybe you will learn something. Maybe he was having a bad day. Who cares? How childish.

May 17 2008 at 2:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan11

I know one thing , when it comes to performing live Taylor Hicks has Clay beat a mile. Someone else can worry about cd sales. Hicks is a joy on the stage.

May 17 2008 at 2:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Theodore

His winning idol was a joke. Not because he's old looking and weird. I agree his next move is Branson.

May 16 2008 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

Taylor knows his niche and he fills it very well. His style is not mainstream top 40 pop so most of the country doesn't recognize his talent. I enjoy his singing, his songs, and his style. His is the only Idol album I have ever bought and I listen to it frequently.
I've had enough of the "Taylor Hicks sucks!" comments. He has talent. If he's not your cup of tea, then move on. Stop insulting a man who works hard at what he loves, and his fans.

May 16 2008 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dave's comment
John

Well said, Dave. You pretty much summed it up.

May 16 2008 at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
griz

JEALOUSY IS SO UGLY! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 16 2008 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

He may help sell tickets for Grease, but that doesn't mean he's talented. Branson is next.

May 16 2008 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

Taylor's album debuted at number two and he won his season, so how is it a step down?

May 16 2008 at 11:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay Black

Taylor Hicks was once mean to me on this very site:

Coincidence that he was dropped from his label and now he has to play second fiddle to two lesser reality show stars on Broadway? I think not.

May 16 2008 at 11:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jay Black's comment
John

Jay, I wouldn't say he was mean to you. A little humorless, maybe, but not mean. Being dropped by his label may end up being a good thing for him, giving him more creative freedom, and I don't see how being on Broadway could ever be a "bad" thing for him.

May 16 2008 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply