July 29, 2014

Three new interns coming to Scrubs

by Erin Martell, posted May 16th 2008 8:41AM
Scrubs castSacred Heart will have three more interns when Scrubs moves to ABC. TV Guide's Michael Ausiello is reporting that Aziz Ansari, Betsy Beutler, and Eliza Coupe will have recurring roles on the comedy's eighth season. Bill Lawrence wants to take the show in a more dramatic direction, and these cast additions are part of that agenda.

Betsy Beutler is best known for her role as Joanie on the Black Donnellys. Eliza Coupe guest-starred on an episode of Flight of the Conchords and had a role on the prematurely canceled HBO series 12 Miles of Bad Road. Fans of MTV's Human Giant are already familiar with the comedic work of Aziz Ansari.

I'm particularly thrilled with the casting of Aziz Ansari. Apart from being incredibly talented, he's a versatile comedian who will fit right in to the current Scrubs cast. I know that the plan is for Scrubs to have more dramatic elements, but I'm sure Ansari will have tons of opportunities to make viewers laugh. Scrubs' new season is becoming more appealing by the minute.

What's your take on these new cast members--thumbs up or thumbs down?

Gregg Fuller

If this "final" season of scrubs does really well for ABC, I'm smelling spin-off. Maybe not exactly a spin-off, but maybe they'll just continue the show ad infinitum like they do with ER, just switching the Docs in and out.

May 16 2008 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Gregg Fuller's comment
dtrain

You're not alone:

The show's creator is saying the same thing:

"Scrubs" as the "ER" of comedies with a rotating cast?
That's what Bill Lawrence, the show's creator, and ABC entertainment boss Steve McPherson can envision happening. "I can shockingly see it happening because it seems very fresh and new right now," says Lawrence. "Regardless, this season feels like an end to the eight-season story we're telling. If we were to go on, I would almost guarantee that it would be in a new and hopefully creatively exciting direction. If it's not an embarrassment and there's a chance to keep people working, I would do everything I could to make it something we could all be proud of."

May 16 2008 at 4:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

Ha love Aziz Ansari! I think he will be a great addition. Besides, I always thought it was a bit weird that Scrubs hardly had any Indian characters...I mean c'mon it's a hospital!

May 16 2008 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

Cool - now we just need a cameo by New Zealand's fourth most popular folk-comedy duo!

I stopped watching Scrubs at the end of s3 (got a bit lame after that), but I can imagine tuning in (ahem, downloading) the first ep of the new season, mainly for these FotC guest-stars!

May 16 2008 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
L.

Aziz Ansari was on Flight of the Conchords as well in the "Drive By" episode. He was the owner of the fruit cart who was racist against New Zealanders.

May 16 2008 at 10:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

Foux De Fa Fa.... Foux De Fa Fa Fa Fa...... Foux De Fa Fa, A-ya!!!

May 16 2008 at 9:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Edd's comment
Lemon Lyman

My thoughts exactly, Ed. Love her.

May 16 2008 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply