April 19, 2014

Watch The CW or it could be gone next year

by Bob Sassone, posted May 16th 2008 4:21PM

The CWI know, I know -- a lot of you are shrugging and saying "so?"

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that if ratings don't improve for the last place network, buzz is that The CW could actually vanish next year. Ratings in the 18-49 demographic are down 28%, and the ratings for the May sweeps are down 22%. I guess Gossip Girl just isn't enough to prop up an entire network, and they just lost Friday Night Smackdown, not to mention that Smallville, Supernatural, and Reaper are probably going into their last seasons.

This isn't a total surprise, of course. When they got rid of UPN and The WB, people didn't give much hope to this new CW network. Though I think most of the lack of enthusiasm was the awful name, the lame logo and the bad choice of color.

Maybe Hulu or AOL should start a network in its place, along with The CW's CBS and Warner Brothers. Imagine a TV network filled with reruns of classic shows and short-lived shows. Sort of a pumped up Trio. Hey, TV Land keeps getting further and further away from their original format, and they don't have the same shows in their vault as CBS and Warner Brothers do.

Mariale

OMG! So whath happen with Supernatural??? I hope other network picked up! Supernatural is a good show it can^t be cancel be cause of this!!!

May 22 2008 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kevin Pitchford

I have had Direct TV in three different cities and none have offered the CW. "Reaper" is the only show I care to watch. Still, I only watch one show on NBC as well......... I wonder which network offers more crappy television..

May 20 2008 at 9:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

The CW sucks big time. I haven't watched any of the shows on that network since it started. I prefer the shows that aired on the WB back in the 90's. Maybe if they had more of a variety instead of the same stuck up rich white girl shows they'd get more viewers.

May 19 2008 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edward

Instead of coming up with crap new shows, CW should have been taking up some of the cancelled shows from this past season. Those shows would already have a larger following than all the shows on the network right now.

Or Fox could scoop up all the good shows when CW goes down...

May 17 2008 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

The only shows that are watchable for me on the CW is Smallville and Reaper. Smallville has become horribly mediocre. And Reaper is on shakey ground. Plus the network already effed me over by canceling Veronica Mars. So really what motivation do I have to watch besides Reaper?

May 17 2008 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ac's comment
Mike K

I feel the same way. Although I also like Everybody Hates Chris and was getting into Aliens in America.

Still bitter about the way Angel was handled at there by the WB. Everwood too! (That one just sprung to mind).

May 18 2008 at 10:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristen

I'd hate to see The CW go, though the only thing I watch on the network is "Supernatural" - though I'd also watch "Moonlight" if they picked that up.

I think The CW's intent to go after the younger female demographic is fine, but they should go after the family demographic as well, like they did with "Gilmore Girls," "Everwood" and "7th Heaven." Families tuning in would bump their ratings. Plus, some additional scifi/fantasy programming wouldn't hurt; something more substantial than "Smallville."

Anyway, I hope the WB and CBS give it more than 3 years to flounder their way to a more sure footing. Plus, I'd like Eric Kripke to finish his 5-year "Supernatural" plan before that show goes off the air!

May 17 2008 at 2:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kristen's comment
nattyff

YES!!! we need the 5th year run of supernatural!!!!

May 17 2008 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Luis Palacios

Wall Street Journal which also owns MyNetwork TV is all of sudden saying CW is doom.

Sorry but I'm not buying it

May 17 2008 at 1:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tv junkie

nobody will miss the cw....it's been such a disappointment. they killed veronica mars for the pussycat dolls. enough said. i think they should've just merge upn under the wb.

May 16 2008 at 10:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Stewart

Bring back Veronica Mars!

May 16 2008 at 8:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tamara

MERVE-THE-PERVE - The networks did that in Australia. AC Neilson were the official ratings company, but the networks in Australia formed their own ratings company (OzTam). However unlike ACNeilson, the OzTam only rates the people in the 5 biggest cities(they are also the only 5 cities where at least one of the networks own the local station), which they use for the whole country. They only count on what people watch live and through 1 pay TV provider (if you're with someone else.) People with OzTam boxes who watch network shows through their cable/satelite with another company don't count.

It's a joke, and the old system with AC Neilson was far better. AC Neilson still rate the whole country(I don't knwo the reason) and the ratings often differ significantly nationwide, and in the 5-markets that OzTam rate differ slightly. But the networks pay no attention to AC Neilson.

May 16 2008 at 8:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply