DISH Network 722s: Combined PVR, satellite receiver, and Slingbox
DISH Network is working on a new set top box that will work as a satellite receiver, personal video recorder, Slingbox, and SlingCatcher. The move isn't particularly surprising. Why would EchoStar have purchased Sling Media if the satellite network didn't plan to release an all-in-one set top box. But this is the first time we've heard the company talk about an actual product.
The announcement came during a recent DISH Network team summit, and Satellite Guys has a writeup with some of the highlights from the event. Here's what we know about the upcoming 722s so far:
- Support for Clip + Sling, which lets you send short video clips over the internet to friends
- Redesigned user interface including a program guide with channel logos
- New UHF remote control with a touchpad
- Front of the unit has a touchscreen and no buttons
- 1 TB hard drive, half of which will be preloaded with HD movies
- Integrated web browser for accessing a handful of web sites
- Also works as a SlingCatcher, letting you watch internet video on your TV
No word on pricing or availability yet. If you don't feel like signing up for DISH Network, you can get all of these features by buying handful of boxes from Sling Media. But the idea of getting a single multi-function box is pretty compelling. If DISH can keep the price down on the 722s or even offer it for free with a subscription, the new box could be a major selling point for the company in its battle against DirecTV and the cable networks.
[via Gizmo Lovers]