July 28, 2014

Moonlight: Sonata (series finale) - VIDEO

by Jen Creer, posted May 17th 2008 12:25AM
sonata051608
(S01E16) "Leeroy Jenkins!!!!"-- Logan Griffen

I deliberately chose a humorous quote to help us say farewell to Moonlight, rather than a more somber one. But other quotes in the running were: "Can my code name be Lando Calrissian?" and "It's going to be a freaking vampire apocalypse." It is not a spoiler but a fact that CBS decided earlier this week not to pick up Moonlight for a second season. The fat lady hasn't finished quite singing yet, though: Our own Brett Love reported that Nikke Fink thinks the CW might pick up the show after all. So, keep your eyes pealed for that possible announcement.

In the meantime, however, we have the season (and, thus far, series) finale to contend with. I don't know whether the writers suspected that the series would be ending, but surely they knew (along with everyone else) that the show was on the bubble. So, they ended the season in a manner that would provide some closure for us all, while also keeping things open in case it was continued. I, for one, appreciate that.

It wouldn't be Moonlight without a mystery to solve before we can get to the good stuff with Mick and Beth. Beth defines their dates as any time they go out when there's no murder involved, so counting tonight's episode, they have been on a grand total of three dates. But maybe three times is a charm.

Josef is opening a sports wing named for his human love, Sarah Whitley, at Hearst College, which he established after losing a bet with William Randolph Hearst. As fellow TV Squad writer Keith McDuffee pointed out to me, Hearst College was the school on Veronica Mars, too... which featured Jason Dohring, who plays Josef. I love it when TV shows get all meta.

At the reception, one of the school's star basketball players winds up dead in a hot tub. Josef's lawyer, a human "freshie" who also feeds him blood on a regular basis, is in the bathroom when he is hurtled into the tub, and becomes the first suspect. Simone may be a freshie, but she isn't a murderer, which is quickly established. Unfortunately for Beth, it's established after Mick tastes her blood to make sure the blood found on Dominic the basketball player's body isn't her blood type.

Of course Beth had a right to be pissed about what she walked in on. Of course she did. You have penetration and exchange of bodily fluids, not to mention bugged out eyes and fangs. It's a very sexual thing: and just like all sex, it can either be highly significant or, as some people insist, "Not a big deal." It's probably both, because it seems to be largely contextual. In Josef's case, he drinks from Simone. There is a symbiotic relationship, because she is literally feeding him. Mick was simply taking a taste. The act, however, is the same. It is intimate and so to dismiss it easily as nothing is highly contradictory. I suppose it matters, though, that Josef took the proprietary act of actually piercing her skin, before offering it to Mick. But that objectifies both women and humans in disturbing ways. Simone seems to accept her insignificance in the vampire world, but Beth won't.

In another supposedly non-significant act, Emma starts sleeping with Dominic to feel young again. The tables are turned: An old female vampire is using the same excuse for infidelity and dalliance that middle-aged men use. In this case, a man has been objectified (Dominic) and another one has been betrayed for, as Jackson notes, "Nothing." I loved how Emma and Jackson spoke in their visit in frequencies that humans can't hear, for privacy. There were so many nice little vampire developments every week with this show. It's sad to see it go.

Of course, Emma, in her infinite selfishness (and legitimate fear of going to prison), threatens to expose every vampire in Los Angeles unless Mick breaks her out of prison. She blames Mick for putting her there rather unjustly: If she had exposed them in front of Talbot when she was tearing apart the room, she might have been executed anyway for putting all of the vampires at risk. Even revealing her identity could serve as confirmation of their existence, which would lead to a hunt for others. Of course, the groundwork was laid for this investigation to happen because Talbot received a list of all of the vampires in L.A. You can bet he'd try to connect the dots between Mick and Josef and the rest of the people on that list.

Can we talk about how great Logan is? I loved him -- he won my award for funniest vampire this episode, not only by insisting on being called Lando Calrissian during Mick's Ocean's Eleven-type scheme. The other reason he was so funny was because he yelled, "Leeroy Jenkins" as he went to stop the prison vehicle. Leeroy Jenkins is a nod to his obsession with World of Warcraft; Jenkins is a character who often ruins missions for others by running into the fray, yelling his own name (thank you, Wikipedia). His glee when the van flipped was very contagious.

What would happen in a second season is anyone's guess: Mick declared himself to Beth and made it pretty clear that he wasn't going to allow any obstacles to stand in their way. It would have been pretty devastating to leave things with her crying against the wall and him leaning his head in the hallway, so I'm glad he went back in light of the series cancellation. Yet, in some ways, if the series had been picked up, it would have been better, more honest, and more bittersweet to leave them apart.

Good night, Moonlight.

Are you glad the season/series ended with Mick and Beth together?
Yes. It would have been too sad for them to have left things apart.830 (92.6%)
No, I think it would have been more heartbreakingly satisfying for them to have separated.66 (7.4%)

Cj

HEY EVERYONE LETS CONTACT SOMEONE TO GET THIS BACK ON. IS ANYONE WITH ME. HELP GET IT BACK ON THE AIR............

June 17 2008 at 3:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Cj's comment
Pam

Been to every group, wrote every network, so its all up to the people who makes the final answer..keep faith

June 25 2008 at 5:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
moonstruck622

I like so many others cannot believe moonlight was cancelled. This show has something for everyone people! it's been a long time since a show had a cast that has the chemistry that this one did. I'm hoping a network somewhere has the good sense to pick it up. CBS has nothing on it but the same old same old and that goes for a lot of the other networks, this show was a peoples choice award winner. PLEASE BRING IT BACK!

June 01 2008 at 6:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vikki

I could not possibly agree more with all the people saying Moonlight deserves another season! Although I started watching with with nothing but apprehension to the concept and tweaking of vampire mythology, I found myself hooked by the end of the first episode. I stayed in every Friday night until at least 10 pm just to make sure I could watch it and I even had a DVR but didn't want to take the chance of it not recording for whatever reason. And I am a 20something year old female so for me to stay in on a Friday night, that's saying something.

It's also telling you why Moonlight's ratings weren't as high as they should have been. It's a show targeted primarily to 20 and 30something year olds. Where are most 20 and 30 something year olds on a Friday night at 9 pm? That's right! At a bar or a club or out on the town. They gave Moonlight the graveyard slot. It's the same reason Firefly got the boot and John Doe got the boot from Fox a few years back. Both were great shows which regretfully were targeted towards the same age group and put on a Friday night slot.

However, this is the first time I have ever taken part in a campaign to save a television show. And I don't see myself stopping anytime soon!

May 31 2008 at 11:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Veronica

For the very first time I rescheduled all my activities to make sure I wouldn't miss a TV show. MOONLIGHT was the perfect ending to an exhausting week. Now I got nothing. PLEASE, I want my Moonlight back!!!

May 31 2008 at 8:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara

I have never been involved in a campaign to save a TV program before but I am proud to say I am now part of one of the most aggressive activities to do just that!
Vampire Solidarity RAH! RAH! RAH!

May 30 2008 at 4:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Meg

I ADORE Moonlight...it must be saved! It would be a privilege and a real asset to any network that would pick it up...I sure know I would be there! :D

May 29 2008 at 7:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

CBS - Slayers of vampires and really good entertainment. If CBS has a Van Helsing complex, why don't they kill off some of the reality shows which suck the intelligence from their victims instead of blood, and save the vamps. There is an extremely large amount of people who enjoy this well written, romantic, sometimes humorous show, I being just one of the many. Moonlight must not be slain. Moonlight is the best show on television. Actually, it is the only show I watch. I have never tried to save a tv show before. I really want it to come back on the air somewhere. This can't be the end.

May 25 2008 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lorilena

I love the show, but there was no chemistry between Mick and Beth. If the show continues on CW, they need to replace Beth.

May 23 2008 at 10:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Lorilena's comment
Pam

no way ,,Mick and Beth has Awesome chemistry..Could not see them with any other...

June 25 2008 at 5:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

I liked this program,better then most of crap they put on TV, lets start a campain tto give it a second season

May 22 2008 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

Hey I like this show, lets start a campain for CBS to give them a second season

May 22 2008 at 7:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Steve's comment
Cj

I AGREE LET'S DO IT. TELLME HOW TO HELP. I'VE EMAILED CBS SO MANY TIMES. I LOVE THIS SHOW. WE HAVE TO SAVE IT. AND I DO AGREE GET RID OF SOME OF THE REALITY SHOWS. I WATCHED GHOST WHISPERER THAT'S A GOOD SHOW. BUT MOONLIGHT WAS BETTER . IT WAS A GOOD LINEUP ON FRIDAY NITE. LET'S GET PEOPLE MOVING. COUNT ME IN STEVE..................

May 24 2008 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply