August 21, 2014

Chris Wallace doesn't want Katie Couric's job

by Allison Waldman, posted May 18th 2008 3:02PM
Mike + Chris WallaceAccording to the Hollywood Reporter, Chris Wallace is on the short list for replacements if -- more likely when -- Katie Couric departs the CBS Evening News anchor desk. Wallace, son of the CBS elder statesmen and 60 Minutes attack dog Mike Wallace, has been host of Fox News Sunday since 2003. But the guy isn't interested.

"As much as I grew up in CBS and as much as I associate that anchor chair with Walter Cronkite and the history of broadcasting, I have never been so happy as I have working the last four-plus years at Fox. I suspect I've had a much better last couple of years than Katie Couric."

Still, you have to wonder if Wallace isn't secretly interested in a spot that even his father never attained, the big chair at CBS. Interestingly, he's worked at NBC and ABC, but never CBS. Perhaps he doesn't want to be working in his father's shadow, or didn't, because by this statement, I kind of wonder if he isn't angling for the gig. "I don't think they would offer it to me, but if they did, I would let you and everybody else know I had been offered it because it would be good bragging rights. But I'd say no."

It seems to me that anybody other than a Fox transplant would be higher on the list than junior Wallace, just because of the contretemps between the networks. Would Les Moonves want to have to swallow Katie's failure and bringing in a Fox man as his anchor? I think not.

Hmm...what do you think? Is this a case of Chris Wallace protesting just a bit too much -- is he saying no so that someone will try to convince him to say yes?

miller980

Sorry to point out your typo, but neither Jon Stewart nor Keith Olbermann put out anything that could be called news. If FNC is the mouthpiece of the right wing, MSNBC is definitely the one for the left wing. What Olbermann spews nightly is as far from news as you can get.

May 18 2008 at 6:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
7 replies to miller980's comment
Jake

Chris Wallace is the only remotely balanced news person on Fixed News. If he goes to CBS they'll never get a Dem or moderate to appear on their network.

May 18 2008 at 6:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CRVBOY

If he's happy on Faux News, he should stay there. Not that CBS News is much on news either, Dan "What's the Frequency Kenneth" Rather saw to that.

May 18 2008 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

I'll do it?

May 18 2008 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Walt

The secret has been out for quite some years now:

When Walter Cronkite was sitting in that chair, the evening newscast was news. When anyone _anyone_ sits in that chair now, it's not news, it's entertainment.

Ever watch TMZ? Where Levin asks for stories at the top of the show, and the kids all give him their best stuff (relatively speaking)... ? I don't know what that's called, but could you imagine a news room setup like that? And news presented like that? No, I couldn't either... But ya know what? I'd like to see it done like that, just for one week. I don't know if I'd like it, but if I knew they would do something like that, I'd certainly watch it.

Of course, if news department of CBS ever did something innovative, the entire network would fall to pieces.

May 18 2008 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

It's a non-denial denial. Kind of like when political leaders are asked by the pundits if they would ever consider being Vice President and say "no--never".

But the funny thing is that no one ever turns the job down when asked by the Presidential candidate.

May 18 2008 at 5:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

Really, you think so, Margaret? Let me guess, you think Fox News is the best cable news network, and is completely "fair and balanced". Chris Wallace is undoubtedly the most talented suit on the network, but that isn't saying much at all, and he is a pale shadow of the pathetic nightly newscasts of the broadcast networks, which is sad indeed. Jon Stewart and Keith Olbermann are the only nightly news anchor of any worth or substance on a consistent basis, and one of them isn't even a newsman. That shows the ridiculousness of the vast majority of news produced by the major networks, broadcast or cable.

May 18 2008 at 4:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Joey Geraci's comment
kevjohn

I don't think either one of them are legitimate news men. but you're right, that makes it even more deplorable for the major networks that Stewart and Olbermann deliver more substance than their overpayed, overhyped anchors. I'd rather see Christopher Wallace host CBS news than Chris Wallace. And he's dead.

May 19 2008 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

Why don't you think Olbermann is a newsman? He certainly delivers more snark than the typical newsman, and has his own ideological viewpoint, but so do all the other news anchors on every network ever aired, Olbermann is just more honest about his bias.

May 19 2008 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maggie

Chris Wallace is so much more than a nightly news anchor. He is intelligent, interesting and is the best host, interviewer and personality that I have seen in a long time. Good for you Chris

May 18 2008 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply