September 16, 2014

How I Met Your Mother: Miracles (season finale) - VIDEO

by Joel Keller, posted May 19th 2008 10:35PM
How I Met Your Mother: Miracles
(S03E20)
Wow, talk about a jam-packed episode. We saw major character development, flashbacks upon flashbacks, some issues resolved and others completely thrown into chaos, and a whole lot of funny talk of miracles.

Oh, and we saw Sarah Chalke, as Carter Bays told me last week. That was just cherry on the sundae, though.

Since so much stuff happened, let's just get to it after the jump, OK?

I'll admit right off the top that this episode didn't exactly break the needle on the funny meter; it was only OK in that regard. But the emotion we saw in this episode more than makes up for that. From the reactions and slow running of Ted's friends when they get the call that he's been in an accident to the "breakup" of Ted and Stella and how he tries to get her back post-accident, to Barney's reaction to his bro's injury, there was enough mistiness to fill three episodes. And that doesn't even count Barney and Ted making up, immediately followed by Barn's loving sideways look at Robin as he was lying there in full-body traction as Marshall and Lily speculate that "boob suits" flashed in his head as the bus hit him.

Let's examine that for a second. Barney's expressed actual feelings before, but it was mainly towards his "bros," and not anyone of the opposite sex. But that's why we like Barney; he's just grounded enough emotionally to not make him look like a total cartoon. But I'm not sure if I want to see Barney pining away for Robin during season four. Because, we know he's going to try to cover it with his Stinson-esque ways, but it's not going to be the same. But I guess it's time for Barn to grow up with the rest of the gang.

Ted asking Stella to marry him was probably the least surprising thing to happen in this episode. Why? Because we know Ted's capable of supreme mush, and being t-boned in a cab is only going to make him mushier. The little sidetrack that happened with the whole "we're good" thing wasn't anything more than a bump, something anyone who's watched HIMYM would know by now. Ted's a determined guy, and when he sets his mind to it, he tends to get what he wants. Just ask Robin. Anyway, I'm still not convinced that Stella is the Mother, but at least the proposal means we're going to see more of Chalke next year. And, since most of Scrubs' ABC season will likely be done by the end of the summer, we may see more of Chalke next season than we initially thought.

Ok, so on to the funny stuff: Miracles! The Miracle story was very Marshall-tastic, wasn't it? I'm trying to decide whether I like the "Pencil in Barney's nose" miracle (Barney: "Am I dead?") better than the "Stoner Customs agent played by Doug Benson" miracle. I think I might have to go with the Doug Benson one, given how much I like the guy and how close that character is to Doug's personality; I mean, the guy just did a Super Size Me parody called Super High Me, for crissakes. Anyway, the miracle that was most significant was the kindegarten class / small hats with lice miracle. It connects back to how the principals at the Big Evil Corporate Law Firm got snagged by the SEC two weeks after the little critters stopped Marshall from getting his job back. Where was John Cho in the scene where everyone got arrested, though?

More fun stuff:

• Robin's cynicism about miracles was sneakily funny, especially the story about how her dog Sir Scratchuan became a turtle via a miraculous surgery whose name I couldn't even begin to reproduce. How long did she believe that was true? "Longer than I'm proud of."
  • Best Barneyism: Barney in traction telling the horrific tale about being cut out of his "beautiful suit" by the paramedics. Second place: "There's one bone downstairs that ain't broken." Third: The date-time continuum, only because it took me a second to wrap my head around that one.
  • Ironic that Barn got injured a whole lot worse than Ted did (i.e. not at all). One question, though, if Korean "friends" didn't understand what he said, then are they really from North Korea? One of them was in a military uniform! Maybe they're conning the poor guy.
  • Geek alert from TV Squad boss Keith: "I do wonder if that Guitar Hero guitar Marshall was wearing was one that's supposed to come with the new version of the game (not GH4 but something else). I say that because it's Aerosmith-themed." Anyone?
  • I have to try using Lily's happy tone with my nieces and nephew the next time I have to say something that's not so nice. "Uncle Joel has a splitting headache now, kids! Please stop screaming!" (Sorry, Rich, just going for a joke... they're all little angels)
  • "I have lice! The little bastards gave me lice!" So much for sweet, understanding Marshall. Nice job by Jason Segel, by the way; he did a nice job of silently conveying how uncomfortable the itching must have been.
  • Robin: "I love Bruce Springsteen! He's the American Bryan Adams." Wow. About five million of my fellow New Jerseyans are crying right now.

Ok, that's more than enough for now. You folks can fill in anything I missed. So, you folks looking forward to season four after watching this episode? Let me know in the comments.

Will Stella marry Ted?
Nah. I just don't think she's the mother.873 (61.4%)
Yeah. They're great together.143 (10.1%)
I don't know. I just hope I don't find out for at least a few more years.406 (28.6%)

Andrew

Ted's life must have really changed somehow because he got into a cab numbered 6z28 and in the very next shot he's sitting in cab 9z72. Continuity error?

May 25 2008 at 3:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
clgbutterfly

Um I thought the best Barnyish moment was him getting his arm cast so he can get High-fives...and then yelp in pain.
So love the adorable look at Robin while she's stuffing her face and snorting.

May 22 2008 at 1:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrWeen

Great episode! Sorry to be a stickler but someone has to stand up for us Canadians. I would assume that the spelling of the dogs name would be Sir Scratchewan since it is a play on words of the province Saskatchewan.

May 21 2008 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Isaiah

This is how it is going to work.
She is going to say No to him and then he is going to meet Mom.

Barney and Robin will start dating after Barney turns all wussy while in a body cast. My theory is that she will Re-Awesome him.

Lilly and Marshal will be as cool as ever :-D

May 21 2008 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tc

As a bro who can handle his feminine side, I can admit that I almost teared up when Ted buried the hatchet with Barney.

May 20 2008 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
King Zilch

"I love Bruce Springsteen! He's the American Bryan Adams."

My wife is Canadian, and this is why she loves Robin.

May 20 2008 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to King Zilch's comment
AT

I'm Canadian and it's one of the reasons I love Robin. I simultaneously cringed and chuckled at the line. Sometimes they write in west coast references that I don't get.

May 20 2008 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

Okay, the following is only if Stella is the mother in the first place. Otherwise, it's a moot point.

I can see why an adult stepdaughter (or perhaps adopted daughter) might not be in the scenes with the other two future children of Ted. She, after all, would have known how Ted met the mother. She was there, or at least in a position to know about it. And most likely, she is now long gone, on her own (possibly married) and not likely in the same house at the time that dad tells this story to the younger ones who weren't born until after the fact.

Again, this is only if Stella is the mom at all.

May 20 2008 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt M

I'm pretty sure Stella is the mom... I mean Old Ted called the whole experience (leading up to the proposal) one of the few things he calls a miracle. It'd be pretty weird if he was telling his kids about the miracle of proposing to some other woman.

May 20 2008 at 10:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Matt M's comment
Ashley Boyd

Its all cause and effect.

If Ted and Stella go through with their wedding then it could just be it all goes to pot on the big day and it is there Ted meets the mother (she could working at the hall or whatever).

Thus if he hadn't had the crash, he wouldn't have proposed to Stella and wouldn't have been at suchandsuch place at suchasuch time and met 'Mother'.

My only problem with this whole mystery is; as soon as Ted says "I met this girl called x" the kids should really say "We'll thats mom's name..." Unless she for some reason has changed her name...

May 20 2008 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rmpr

I really liked this episode... It seemed more about true friendships than miracles. It was amazing how as soon as Ted's friends found out about his accident they just left everything and went to see him. The best part was Barney, he really loves ted and i really touching. When they apologized after Barney's accident i almost cried.. they are like brothers! I want Barney to pine for Robin in his own way so they can become a couple next season..

May 20 2008 at 9:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

I wish they would have shown what images were flashing before Barney's eyes. I would have liked to see if there were some boob suits mixed in with pictures of Robin.

May 20 2008 at 4:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply