September 22, 2014

NBC stars sing about family - VIDEO

by Bob Sassone, posted May 19th 2008 2:02PM

NBC logoOh, they don't make 'em like this anymore.

After the jump is a video from the NBC 60th Anniversary show in 1986 (very interesting). It's rather surreal. We get to see Bea Arthur, Nell Carter, Charlotte Rae (Mrs. Garrett from Facts of Life), Marla Gibbs, and Alfonso Ribiero sing a song about "family." That's the NBC family, that is, as all of them were starring on shows at the time (Facts of Life, Golden Girls, Gimme A Break, 227, and Silver Spoons). Punky Brewster herself makes an appearance too, but only to say three words and gives a thumbs up. Barbara Eden introduces the song. The most cringe-worthy moment isn't any of the singing, it's when Gibbs and Carter pass each other on the stairs and casually say that they love each other's shows.

Can you imagine a network doing this now? I want to see Hugh Laurie, Stewie, the guys from Prison Break, Marge Simpson, and Gordon Ramsay get on stage at the next Emmy Awards and sing about the FOX family.

[via Best Week Ever]

nick

I miss the network fall campaigns they used to run in late summer, such as....

ABC's "You'll Love It" (1985)

"Somethings Happening" (1989)

"We're With You" (1984)

"Still The One" (1977)

May 19 2008 at 8:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kireet

Does this have anything to do with the debut of the new logo? Because that happened in '86 also

May 19 2008 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kireet's comment
Gene

I remember watching that special -- I even taped it on my SuperBeta Hi-Fi!
All through the show they used the old NBC peacock, then right at the end of the special they debuted the new logo surrounded by all the NBC stars.
I think that was the last of the old-time television moments, when a network had a heritage and history. Now they're just big conglomerates with no heritage and no connection to their viewers. :(

May 20 2008 at 9:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

My God, Carlton was young! And not Carlton yet!

May 19 2008 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MarcDom7

Come on, TVSquad. We found this over a year ago. First "Child Island," now this.

May 19 2008 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Duane

All I could think of at the opening of this video was a few weeks back on How I Met Your Mother how Marshall got all choked up when he realized that Nell Carter died.

Why would NBC have had to say what show every actor came from? That seems the oddest thing of all.

May 19 2008 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply