November 24, 2014

George Takei to marry longtime partner

by Erin Martell, posted May 20th 2008 10:41AM
George Takei and Brad AltmanNow that California's gay marriage ban has been lifted, George Takei is getting married. The 71-year-old Star Trek actor recently announced that he would wed Brad Altman, his partner of 21 years.

Takei broke the news on his official website just one day after the California Supreme Court ruling. The couple has yet to set a date; Takei wrote that he and Altman, a business manager, were "enjoying the delicious dilemma of deciding where, when, and how [they] will be married." This news follows Ellen DeGeneres' announcement that she and girlfriend Portia de Rossi planned to marry in California.

I'm thrilled for Takei and Altman. They deserve to celebrate more than two decades of commitment. Takei came out publicly in 2005, and has been active in the Human Rights Campaign's "Coming Out Project." Same-sex marriages will be legal in about a month, and the couple will likely marry before conservatives get an anti-gay marriage initiative on the California ballot in November.

Franklin

Alright, I'll try this another way:

Erin, when you type, "Same-sex marriages will be legal in about a month, and the couple will likely marry before conservatives get an anti-gay marriage initiative on the California ballot in November.", does that mean you aren't a fan of democracy? Sort of sounds like it.

To be honest, I'm all for same-sex marriage. Over the years I've worked with and attended church with several homosexuals and the majority of them were in loving, monogamous relationships. I think it's a real shame that they can't be married, but I wouldn't go so far as to insinuate that we should shove something into law against the will of the people. That's dangerous thinking and should that kind of situation occur in this country it would set a very bad precedent that will eventually come back to bite us all, no matter our political, social or religious stances.

The first downside would likely be censorship, and I think you know what I mean.

May 21 2008 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Franklin's comment
Matthew L. Weiss

" I wouldn't go so far as to insinuate that we should shove something into law against the will of the people. "

yeah, like slavery! the people are always right!

May 25 2008 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

That's funny! I deride Erin's anti-American comment alluding to her disagreement of a potential "will of the people" vote to overturn the courts in this and it's removed.

Hilariously hypocritical!

Yeah, yeah, give me that tired line about it being abusive or somesuch other garbage, while in truth it's far less negative than the anti-conservative comments found regularly.

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNIST PARTY IN ACTION ON TV SQUAD. LET THE CENSORSHIP OF DISSENT BEGIN!

May 21 2008 at 11:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

Why is he marrying Steve Forbes?

May 20 2008 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Frank's comment
Erin Martell

Frank--I'm still laughing after reading your comment!

May 20 2008 at 3:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

I love George Takei. He's funny as hell :-) I guess it must be great to be married to him.

May 20 2008 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason Chapa

OH MY! Congrats George. Will your cuddly muffin Artie be your maid of honor?

May 20 2008 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Charlotte

Congrats to George & Brad & everyone in CA who's about to tie the knot!! We just celebrated 4 years of gay marriage in Massachusetts. We just suggest that CA gay couples planning to marry chat with a lawyer or counselor & get the facts about your State's marriage laws before making it legal. It could save you a lot of $$$ & grief in the long run. Check OUT our short on gay marriage:) www.OUTTAKEonline.com

May 20 2008 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply