September 30, 2014

Sports Night 10th anniversary box set coming this fall

by Erin Martell, posted May 20th 2008 4:23PM
Sports NightLast month Bob Sassone mentioned a rumor that a 10th anniversary Sports Night DVD set was in the works. Fans will be happy to learn that the anniversary edition of Sports Night: The Complete Series has a release date of September 30. Shout! Factory is releasing the eight-DVD box set, which includes all forty-five episodes of the series as well as two discs of new bonus features.

The box set costs $69.99 and contains a 10th anniversary book, behind-the-scenes featurettes, new interviews, blooper reels, commentaries by the cast and creative team, and deleted scenes. A complete series box set has been available since 2002, but that version had no special features.

This is great news for Sports Night fans, since Shout! Factory does box sets of cult favorites particularly well. The company re-released My So-Called Life on DVD last year with added bonus features. Shout! Factory is also behind the Freaks and Geeks box set, one of my prized TV-related possessions.

How about it, Sorkin fans? Is this what you've been waiting for?

Justin

This is so upsetting--not because I don't love Sports Night but because my soon-to-be wife bought me the series this past X-Mas.

May 22 2008 at 8:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
segsig

Arg, I already have the old set and can't justify spending that much!

My niece is having a baby boy next month and for the past month already I've had opportunities every day to say "Eli's coming!"

May 21 2008 at 9:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

$70 are they mad?

And all this stuff should have been on the old release DVD anyways. I already paid $42 for the set, they aren't getting anymore of my money.

May 20 2008 at 7:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matthew P. Christensen

I paid for this series once. I will wait until it comes down to a reasonable price, and then I will buy it at the used DVD store.

With Gas prices as high as they are and going higher, I can only afford to buy a DVD new the first time. Not for the 22 re-releases.

I know that Sports Night has only had one release but still 70 bucks is a tank of gas right now.

Sports Night does have two of the greatest episodes in all of television history. Episode two was called "The Apology". Dan does a interview with a magazine that reveals Dan's support for the Legalization of Marijuana. The Network looks for an on-air apology. Episode 11 of the first season was called"The Six Southern Gentleman of Tennessee Tech". The synopsis is this: the sports night crew follow seven players who walk off the team, refusing to play under the Confederate Flag.

Aaron Sorkin wrote both episodes and also wrote The West Wing. These are two great episodes that belong in everyones memory because of the lessons that they teach.

I loves this show and I know that it deserved more than two seasons.

May 20 2008 at 5:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Matthew P. Christensen's comment
Oreo

Aaron Sorkin wrote 90% of the first season.

May 20 2008 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Willmore

This is going to be Legen.... wait for it .....dary !!!

May 20 2008 at 4:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Willmore's comment
Bash

Wassaaaaaap willmore... Barney hasn't used that expression on HIMYM at all this year. Take the hint.

May 20 2008 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard Leach

I don't buy many TV shows on DVD, but this will be an exception.

May 20 2008 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
greensplatt

Too incredible for words!!!!!

May 20 2008 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply