October 2, 2014

Steven Moffat takes over Doctor Who

by Annie Wu, posted May 20th 2008 2:41PM
Steven MoffatSince Doctor Who found new life in 2005, Russell T. Davies has served as both executive producer and head writer of the series. Davies had announced that he would be stepping down from the position, and today, we learned the not-so-surprising news that occasional Doctor Who writer and creator of Coupling, Steven Moffat, will be taking over.

This is definitely a step in the right direction for the series, as Moffat's previous contributions to the show have been some of the greatest highlights. For example, that chilling episode "Blink" (the one that made it impossible for me to walk through a sculpture garden without looking over my shoulder every two seconds) was his masterpiece.

Strangely enough, when I read this news, my mind immediately equated it with the addition of Brian K. Vaughan to the Lost writing team. Both Who and Lost are already incredibly bizarre shows, and it takes minds like Moffat and Vaughan to take these worlds to bigger, better and more fantastic heights. I was starting to get worried that Who was losing some of its excitement, but with Moffat running the show from now on, I have a renewed sense of confidence in the program.

Just... no more weeping angels, please. I like sleep.

Nicol Leoraine

Tennant staying for the fifth season? Great news, thanks folks. As for Moffat taking over, it's good too. I have nothing against RTD, heck, some of his episodes are my favorites, but the truth is, so far ALL of Moffat's episodes are my favorites. Though they're usually very dark. But just loved the Empty Child and Blink.

May 28 2008 at 3:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is, I'm sure. going to bump my watchin of Doctor Who up from: "This is a good show, at times, and one I'll try to catch on download (I pay the TV licence so I don't feel bad!) to "This could become one of my top 2 shows".

Great news.

May 20 2008 at 10:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathan

Moffat also wrote Press Gang which was one of my favorite shows as a kid then Coupling became one of my favorites as an adult.

Very pleased about this, but can we please get rid of Catherine Tate she is plain annoying.

May 20 2008 at 9:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Discosis

Moffat will be a great showrunner for Doctor Who.

But for the RTD naysayers ... Season 4 has been staggeringly good so far.

May 20 2008 at 9:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Stewart

David Tennant is going to resume his role as the Doctor in 2010 after he finishes his obligation to the Royal Shakespeare Company's production of Hamlet in 2009. He is so popular that the entire show is being put on hiatus just for him, which speaks volumes in itself.

As for Steven Moffat, I am very pleased. Blink was such an amazing episode and to see more of his writing on the show is a huge plus.

May 20 2008 at 7:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Simon Wakefield

I hope James Nesbitt isnt announced as the next Doctor Who, he plays every role the same so rather than playing Doctor Who he will be playing James Nesbitt as normal

May 20 2008 at 6:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FAP

YES THANK YOU LORD YES. ALL I'VE READ IS THE TITLE OF THIS POST AND ALL I CAN SAY IS YESSSSSSSSS!

May 20 2008 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Salem

No surprises, but this is certainly good news...
I already love the new "Who" as it is, but being "The Empty Child" my favorite episode, and Jekyll one of the most brillant minis I've ever watched, I know then than watching the next season will be like being in a Candy Store for me... :P

May 20 2008 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

This is the best news concerning Doctor Who since the announcement that it was coming back on TV! Moffat has to be one of the best writers working today.

May 20 2008 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bamberluvr

This was a rumor that the BBC scoffed at - now it's true. At the same time, the BBC said David Tennent was not leaving after the fifth season. Wonder how long it will be until that rumor is proven true.

May 20 2008 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply