November 28, 2014

The Excellence in Outsourcing Award: Call for considerations

by Allison Waldman, posted May 20th 2008 3:20PM
tv squad awardsOutsourcing: it's running rampant in America. You know, you call for technical support when your PC is out of whack or you have a problem with a credit card and instead of hearing an American voice on the other end, you're left to chat with Kim in Karachi or Biff in Bangalore.

Well, in TV, outsourcing is also taking place. Parts that were once strictly American roles -- requiring a real, colloquial U.S. voice -- are being played by foreigners. The thing is, many of these roles are being brilliantly played by actors donning American accents -- they're doing a great job.

Think about it; some of the best performances on TV feature foreigners with great American accents, like Hugh Laurie on House and Jonny Lee Miller on Eli Stone. Two of Her Majesty's loyal subjects, two wonderful American voices. The Brits are all over the dial.

But did you know that Anthony LaPlaglia (Without A Trace) and Rachel Griffiths (Brothers & Sisters) are Australian? It's true. And they're not alone. There are a lot of other actors who were not brought up speaking like typical Americans who sound like they were.

Therefore, you tell us: who are your choices for the best American accents on television right now? Give us your thoughts on who should be nominated for TV Squad's Excellence in Outsourcing Award.

Pink_Pearl

These names belong on your list!

Alex O'Loughlin (Moonlight) - Australian
Sophia Myles (Moonlight) - British

May 30 2008 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emjay81

Alex O'Loughlin - Australian (Moonlight)
Sophia Myles - British (Moonlight)
Hugh Laurie - British (House)

May 29 2008 at 9:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tinasilvee

Outsourcing has so many benefits:
1) Cost Savings
2) Time Zone Benefits
3) Quick Turn Around Time
4) Standardizing Business Processes
and many more....

May 24 2008 at 6:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mariah

Alex O'Loughlin (Aussie) and Sophia Myles (British) of Moonlight.

May 22 2008 at 6:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emilie

Ed Westwick - Gossip Girl
Anna Friel - Puching Daisies

May 22 2008 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pantrygirl

Linus Roache (L&O)

My husband is still blown away this guy is British and not an East Coaster.

May 22 2008 at 1:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
starshine_diva

Hugh Laurie, hands down.

May 21 2008 at 9:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

House x 10!

May 21 2008 at 6:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
goldie

I would say House definitely. I was shocked when I heard him speak off the show, and I still don't notice it on the show.
I didn't know Johnny Lee Miller had an accent. I do love Eli Stone, but now that I know, I notice some words are different.
I do agree with LaPaglia on Without a Trace, but someone mentioned Vivan from Without a Trace (can't remember her real name) and I think she sounds like she has an accent on the show too.

May 21 2008 at 5:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to goldie's comment
Brent McKee

If you've ever heard her real accent you wouldn't think that the voice she uses on "Without A Trace" is accented. And by the way, from "Without A Trace", Poppy Montgomery (Australian).

May 22 2008 at 2:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nattyff

- Jaime bamber (BSG)
- Cobie Smulders (HIMYM)
- Matthew Rhys (B&S)
- Rachel Griffiths (B&S)
- Cote de Pablo (NCIS) I know she doesn't speak with an american accent, but i thought that she sould had an honorable mention, because she is from Chile (like I am :), and because she plays a character that have to do many languajes...

Loved moonlight, but beth's american accent was really awful...

May 21 2008 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply