April 15, 2014

There might be a ninth season of Scrubs, says Bill Lawrence

by Joel Keller, posted May 20th 2008 10:21AM
Bill LawrenceI finally got a chance to speak with Scrubs creator Bill Lawrence yesterday, and, as you'd expect, he had plenty to say about departing NBC. In addition to the circumstances behind the show's move from NBC to ABC, Lawrence also talked about NBC's treatment of the show and why he thinks it stuck around for so long, despite that treatment.

But he also dropped a bit of a bomb: next season may not be the show's final season. And if there is ninth season of Scrubs, it likely will continue without him or Zach Braff on board.

More after the jump.

Bill told me that he met with ABC Entertainment president Steve McPherson, who initially championed the show when he worked for the network's production arm (ABC Studios produces Scrubs), before the network finalized the pickup. McPherson told him that not only did he want the show to get back to what it did best in its earliest seasons, which mixed comedy and drama, but that he didn't necessarily pick up the show for just the one season:

"He said to me, 'If I go forward with this, you have to know that if the show does well and I'm enjoying it, no matter what you want, I have the right to move on with the show past this year,'" Lawrence recalls. "I tell you that, even if it were to happen, it would be in a different incarnation than what it is now. One of the things that's appealing to Steve is that when he first pitched it with me to all these other networks, he pitched it as 'ER as a comedy.' It'd be very easy to rotate faces in and out and have new dynamics and new worlds under the same umbrella. It's a working hospital. It's not like Grey's Anatomy, where we're tracking the relationships that much."

As far as how the show would look in a ninth season, Lawrence said that "barring some weird miracle," Zach Braff is done with the show after season eight, since his contract runs out at the end of it. But he can't see himself returning for a ninth year, either. "I would imagine it's my last year of the show. And so I'm going to write it as such (like it's the last season) and he's going to act it as such."

So those new actors, including Human Giant's Aziz Ansari, that were brought on as new interns? They'll be the basis of any new seasons after the eighth, setting up a Scrubs: The Next Generation of sorts. "They have to go through the same type of shit that these people went through long ago. It'll be interesting to tell the same stories with our older characters on the other side of them now." Some faces from the original cast may return, but not all will.

Interesting. This could work, or it could limp along like ER has since Clooney, Edwards, and Margulies left. Or it could be AfterMASH-style disaster. We just don't know.

What do you think of a possible "next generation" season of Scrubs? Let me know in the comments.

Oh, and the rest of the interview will be posted either tomorrow or Thursday.

devon

if Zach is not in season 9 then what would the show be based on ( another persons life) it just can't work like that .
Zach started out as the main character and should stay the main character until the complete and total end of scrubs.
i think that if zach is not in season 9 then it will be a disaster because everyone who likes this show likes the main characters the most and would not watch the show if even one of their favorite characters is not part of the show any more. so before you even think about taking Zach out you ask the audience what they think about zach being tooken out. and having new people come in.

July 17 2008 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
devon

July 17 2008 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evan

Well really guys wouldn't you like it if it kept going with Zach Braff?
I know I would, I loved Scrubs, so in my opinoin they should keep going, but not without Zach.
If they don't use Zach Braff then they should at least get him to be there for another Finale because I hated the Finale, it didn't even seem like a Finale.
From an upset Scrubs Fan PLEASE KEEP GOING.

July 09 2008 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

One idea that I haven't seen touched on. A spin off of Scrubs. This would show Dr.Cox as an intern with a younger bob kelso as well. Show how Cox came to be as he is. Just a thought. Dr Cox is hilarious.

June 15 2008 at 6:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex0708

I don't think that Scrubs will be Scrubs without the acting of Zach Braff. His character is what makes the show great. However, if they want to end it after 8 seasons, they should do it once and for all. Let JD and Elliot come back once and for all, and create some comedy in between... and seal the deal. I will be the first to stop watching the show if it goes to 9th season with Zach Braff. I also have heard that some of the cast wants to move on. For example, Sarah Chalke has appeared on HIMYM and would likely be on there for a bit

June 01 2008 at 7:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
G-Rant

I personally am grateful that ABC has decided to finish the show up for all of the fans. I hate it when a show goes off air before there is an official final. Firefly on FOX did that and i was devistated because i loved that show with a passion. I dont know how i feel about a spin off without JD and other characters. I like the idea of new characters but the writers should find a way to keep the original cast in the show if only for short appearences.

May 28 2008 at 10:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to G-Rant's comment
Holly

I agree with you. I would like to see more seasons with the same original cast, but if not, seeing the storyline from a different perspective and generation might be pretty cool.

I'm glad that ABC's picking up Scrubs- at least the show can end now. NBC didn't give the show justice, and I thought they treated the last season of scrubs horribly- barely any advertisements, they aired them out of order, changing show times, etc. So now that ABC has the show, the eighth seison should turn out pretty well. The ninth, however, I have some doubts. But I'm eager to see how well it does anyways.

And FOX always gets rid of the best shows. I absolutely loved Firefly- and was really upset when they just ended the show mid-season. At least the spinoff movie, Serenity, was able to give it some closure, though I must say it didn't do the show justice. I still enjoy an old episode whenever I have the first season DVD laying around. Ahh, the good old days :)

August 11 2008 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mandev Kaley

i think it would be really gd if they were 2 start scrubs again with new interns and have the existing characters still on the show, but the action focused mainly on the new characters
i think it would be original and bringing in new characters will keep the show fresh
Luv the show
shame bout season 6+7 tho

May 24 2008 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Motrin

JD's my favorite character, but I'll still give Scrubs season nine a shot if it makes it there, since I worship this show.

Yes, season 1 was the best, and 1-4 were the high points of the show, but it still thrills me to the depths of my being when a new episode's about to come on.

I'll be sad if there's no JD, though!

May 21 2008 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RevJonathan

No! This was perfect!
They got 18 new eps to wrap the show up with. They need to finish production so Sarah Chalke can become a regular on How I Met Your Mother.

I love Scrubs, and the supporting cast is phenomenal, but JD is the show, hands down.

May 20 2008 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
owl

Personally, I have always felt that "JD" was the weakest, least interesting character. New faces/writing could easily revive the show. Time will tell.

May 20 2008 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply