Idol Polls: The Top 2

by Jason Hughes, posted May 21st 2008 8:03PM
David vs. DavidWelcome back to our weekly American Idol polls round-up. Each week we look at various online polls that were conducted from the end of last week's results up to the performance show Tuesday. And then a few that were conducted after the performance show, but before the results were revealed.

This way we can analyze how the week's performances affected a contestant's overall popularity, which turns out to be not very much except in a few select cases anymore. And this week we're mixing it up a bit, bringing you this column before the "Results Show" airs. As this is our last time to look at polls, why not see how many, if any, properly predict the David that comes out on top. Personally, even though you won't see her on these lists, I think Syesha still found a way to come in last on all of them.

WEEK-TO-WEEK POLLS (PRE-PERFORMANCE)

Guide to the polls:
Position - [change from last week] Contestant (Percentage of votes)

AOL

1 - [+1] David Cook (50.8%)
2 - [-1] David Archuleta (49.2%)

Need more American Idol? Get an inside look at Season 7's contestants and think back to these scathing (and hilarious) Simon Cowell quotes.
Also: Don't forget to choose your favorite Idol!
TV Guide
1 - [=] David Cook (70.4%)
2 - [=] David Archuleta (29.6%)

VoteFair.org
1 - [=] David Archuleta (55.5%)
2 - [=] David Cook (44.5%)

AFTER-PERFORMANCE POLLS

AOL
1 - [=] David Cook (50.5%)
2 - [=] David Archuleta (49.5%)

TV Squad
1 - [=] David Cook (63.9%)
2 - [=] David Archuleta (35.9%)

Dial Idol
1 - [=] David Cook (40.93)
2 - [=] David Archuleta (29.37)

You would thing the judges weren't watching the same show as the rest of America by the way they were practically handing the night and the title to David Archuleta. Based on these results, it looks like David Cook was at least the marginal favorite. While it was a more substantial victory by some polls, via AOL's polls, which have pretty large raw numbers, the difference is one measly percentage point.

Bit. if we were to predict a favorite to win based on the polls results we've been tracking so far this season, I'd have to give it to Cookie. It looks like it'll be a close vote, though maybe not as close as Clay-Ruben back in Season Two, which was so close Ryan couldn't even figure out the vote difference. In the end, as we've seen, it won't matter much one way or the other as they'll both wind up with record contracts and at least eke out one album. The big question is what kind of albums they will put out.

Hopefully, the success of Daughtry has taught the folks at Idol that it's much better to let the contestant put out an album of the music they excel in rather than the music Clive Davis thinks will sell. The man's brilliant at what he does, except when it comes to making Idol albums. I'll be holding out a prayer for each of them. And may the best David win!

Jacqueline Thomson

Sick, sick, sick of the throwing the Idol contest. It didn't take a genius to figure out how the producers were going to do it. Who verified the votes? David Archeleta had by far a superior voice which the judges acknowledged at the semi. Unanimously yet. Goes to show the road this country is on. Lying to the public and cheating. I don't know how or when but I hope David A. is picked up by some company who will promote his talent and give those of us who would love to hear him sing a chance to hear him again. Stay as nice and mannerly as you are, David A. You have many more fans than you know.

May 22 2008 at 9:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JC

Maybe I was the one causing everyone to get a busy signal! I had two phone lines going and hardly had any problems at all calling in on the 01 number over 300 times for David Cook!!

May 22 2008 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

I voted around 40 times for David Cook. I waited for an hour before calling in. The first number was busy and occasionally the second number was busy but I always got in on the third number.

May 22 2008 at 9:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to davidm3825's comment
starky22

I had the same problem getting through that others had. I started out calling the third number, thinking it would be easier, but only got through once after an hour and a half of trying, and voted for the eventual winner, David Cook.

May 22 2008 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
s thompson

I agree that it was much harder to vote Tuesday evening, but the busy signals told me most of what I needed to know anyway. I was able to vote 50 times for David Cook in the last hour and a half of voting. Earlier in the season, it was incredibly easy to log more than 100 votes for your favorite contestant in the shorter two hour window. Considering the vote tally was way past my guess of 80 million... Well, I can't say there were too many problems with the voting process.

May 22 2008 at 8:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sandygotthard

to KIRBY,, interesting how you got your vote in, AGAIN I tried for over 3 hours as did my friends and got zip... TY for sharing ,,,

May 22 2008 at 1:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kirby

I got through, with my vote for Mr. Cook, though it took a few tries. And I watched it delayed (Tivo power), so it was not right after voting opened. So there's one for you.

May 22 2008 at 1:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sandygotthard

WELL FINALLY justice,, TELL YOU WHAT , may be lots of votes BUT HOW DID ANYONE GET THROUGH,, absolutely NO ONE I know did , AND on THE VIEW today, Elizabeth admitted she too just got busy signals,, ONLINE yesterday FANS complained of the same,, SO now I am just wondering if IDOL closed us off,, I have not felt this year things are as they should be,, need to still EXPLAIN the whole PAULA incident knowing about Jasons work before he appeared live and should have been then critiqued,, LISTEN KUDOS to Simon for saying what he did to Cookie,, this man is the ultimate performer and deserved better than the UTTER not almost BUT COMPLETE,, disrespect he was shown Tues.. HE IS AWESOME and the public adores him,,,, congratulations MR. COOK

May 22 2008 at 1:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply