April 24, 2014

Oprah's on a vegan diet

by Anna Johns, posted May 22nd 2008 5:27PM
oprahOprah is in reruns this summer, but she'll be keeping up with fans through her blog where she's writing about a "detox diet" that she's on.

Many of you probably noticed that Oprah seems to have gained some weight again. She addressed it on her show last fall... saying that she was having thyroid and metabolism issues. The woman knows how to lose weight, but wasn't able to get it off this time so she's trying something new to "cleanse" her system.

Her 21-day vegan diet includes no animal products, but she has also banned caffeine, sugar, gluten, and alcohol from her diet. The plan is based on a book called Quantum Wellness by Kathy Freston. The goal, she says, is to see what her hang-ups are and whether she feels better by cutting certain foods out of her diet. Of course, Oprah has a chef making her vegan meals (she started out with strawberry rhubarb wheat-free crepes) so her version of vegan will be much tastier than if someone like me attempted it.

If this works, Oprah may come back next season with hemp clothes and mood rings. That's what the hippies are wearing these days, right?

Jmarie104@aol.com

Wow... why is the writer so mean???? so Oprah is trying a new thing - 21 days - vegan. big deal! Those of us who LOVE her, continute to "Get it" even if YOU don't... So she has a cook make her crepes --- she's still making the effort to do it, and let us know how she feels in the process. It's great. Why doesn't everyone see how awesome she is - for the world????

May 26 2008 at 11:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cheryl Wermuth

Just wondering how you got started, what you eat on a typical day - I still want my 2 cups of coffee in the am and a glass of wine at night. Any suggestions for this 59 y/o female? Thanks

May 24 2008 at 10:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cheryl Wermuth

I am interested in becoming a vegetarian/vegan....but don't know how to begin...can anyone help, and oh yea, I enjoy a little wine here and there...thanks for any help

May 24 2008 at 9:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TomOfMaine

Fantastic choice Oprah ! Since my wife and I went vegetarian 15 years ago, and then vegan 6 years ago, we have felt excellent and enjoy better meals than ever. My wife is 43 years old, just gave birth to our first child, a beautiful baby boy, and the doctor was amazed how fantastic her abdominal area looked. He exclaimed that there was no excess fat whatsoever lining the entire area (which is the precursor to heart disease and such), that the insides of her tummy resembled that of a 20 year old, and that he's certain it is due to her healthy vegan lifestyle. We were very happy to hear that news.

May 23 2008 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
keithnl

Gale must be heartbroken

May 23 2008 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Picviewer

America needs a new diet also away from the self absorbed. How about Oprah and Tyra go for a boat trip and never return?

May 23 2008 at 2:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
samwise2206

i have been a vegetarian for just over a year. no meat no dairy. still have caffeine. have lost 98 lbs. without working out. take multivitamins vitamin c. i feel and look great. years ago i used to think that i could never give up meat but it is no problem.

May 22 2008 at 11:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dj

Just staple the lard asses
mouth shut! Who cares!
She will always have an
excuse! She can't face the
truth she is a lesbian and
needs to seek counseling!
Only women like her!

May 22 2008 at 9:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KMF

Now to be fair I am a vegan. You might not know it if you saw me as there's nothing hippie about me! My health has improved and I've slimmed down, all because I went vegan.

And it's not as bad as everyone seems to think, if you look around and read labels you'd be surprised what you can eat as a vegan. It's not all salads!

May 22 2008 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to KMF's comment
erroneous_nick

Out of all the things I'd have to give up if I went vegan, the hardest thing for me would be milk. I just loves me some moo juice!

May 22 2008 at 8:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply