July 25, 2014

The Jeopardy Award: Call for considerations

by Isabelle Carreau, posted May 22nd 2008 3:20PM
TV Squad AwardsGame shows have been an important part of television since the late 1930s. In 1938, the BBC aired Spelling Bee, a show that is believed to be the world's first game show. In July 1941, CBS Television Quiz made history by becoming the first television game show to broadcast regularly. Since then, U.S. viewers were treated with all sorts of game shows such as To Tell the Truth, Beat the Clock, Concentration, Name that Tune, The Price is Right, Jeopardy, etc.

Jeopardy!, which premiered in 1964, is one of the most successful and popular game show in U.S. TV history. Its challenging questions and format helped make it a household name. This is why we named our "Primetime game show requiring the most skill" category after it.

In this category, we include 2007-2008 season game shows that air/aired in primetime (Jeopardy! is out of the running since it doesn't air in that block) and that are not reality-type game shows such as Survivor and Big Brother. Shows that come to mind are Duel, 1 vs 100, Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader, and the primetime edition of The Price Is Right. Personally, I don't think Deal or No Deal or The Moment of Truth qualify since they don't require much skill.

Which shows do you think should be nominated for The Jeopardy Award? List your suggestions below!

shmuffin123

Bah! I'd forgotten about cash cab, and other commenters are right it requires skill on the spot...it gets my vote...although American Gladiators if in consideration wins out above all others...I mean that guy who ultimately won who had the record on the eliminator of like 1:22...wow!

May 23 2008 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

Would American Gladiators fall into this category?

May 23 2008 at 11:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dave's comment
Isabelle Carreau

The TVS team were talking about it in emails and we discussed including physical game shows since they do require skills, just a different type. Just nominate any primetime game show (non reality) that you want and we'll review them and decide what we include and not.

May 23 2008 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tamara

I don't know what happens during the broadcast of Deal Or No Deal, but in Australia (where the show is a 30-minute 5-day a week show at 5:30pm after the hour-long primetime edition failed miserably), they continually try and make out that it is a game of skill and there is great strategy involved.

Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader is such a stupid show. It would be so easy to win the million - sure not everyone will know the anwers to every question before the show. But if you know you're going to be on it, wouldn't you study up to ensure that you win the lot? It won't be hard to learn since 10 year olds do it.

May 23 2008 at 6:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bao Q Phan

Cash Cab...Wasn't it on Prime time for a little bit at the beginning of this season or was I just imaging things?

May 22 2008 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
starshine_diva

Do Canadian shows count? Because I vote for Test the Nation, which airs on CBC.

May 22 2008 at 11:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to starshine_diva's comment
Isabelle Carreau

Sadly no. Because that would have been MY #1 choice too! Test the Nation is really difficult.

May 23 2008 at 8:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zachary

I like the questions on Jeopardy but I absolutely hate Alex Trebek.

5th Grader is only good when the contestant is incredibly stupid.

May 22 2008 at 9:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A.S

Dang, the only game show I really watch is Inside The Box, and that doesn't qualify by miles.

May 22 2008 at 6:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Puck

Definitely Cash Cab, which needs more publicity. Crosswords & Duel are great too. 1 vs. 100 is alright, but is kinda annoying. Price is Right is awesome, but isn't too taxing on the brain, just have to know prices, at least for some games. The rest are really stupid, especially Deal Or No Deal. It's only about how greedy you are & how lucky the contestant is. Maybe a little bit of odds, too. I love how people in the audience and the family try to tell the contestant which case to pick. Like they have any freaking clue!

May 22 2008 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

I love Cash Cab, but I don't think it comes on during primetime.

May 22 2008 at 4:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Emily's comment
Los

I love Cash Cab too, one of the few left that require actual on the spot skill.

The Price is Right, if only for posterity.

May 22 2008 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mimi

Ooohh...I love Cash Cab too - I didn't put it down because it isn't on primetime but I think it should be! Let's start a petition!!

May 22 2008 at 5:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
miller980

I can't really think of any that require much skill. Maybe this is one category that you should do away with.

May 22 2008 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply