October 24, 2014

Ugly Betty: Jump (season finale)

by Erin Martell, posted May 22nd 2008 11:45PM
Becki Newton, Alec Mapa, and Michael Urie
(S02E18) After all the hype surrounding the Lindsay Lohan appearance, I was expecting more than a brief flashback that explained Betty's hatred of sports. Even the little French kid had more screen time! It would be one thing if Lohan was introduced briefly midseason and continued to make appearances; that would have made sense. Introducing her for thirty seconds before the season's end was a strange choice. I look forward to seeing how they reintroduce Kimberly in the Ugly Betty present, but I wish they had waited until next season's premiere to bring her in.

The Lohan thing is a minor grievance. Unfortunately, there were some major things wrong with this episode. As finales go, "Jump" didn't come close to the emotional punch of season one's "East Side Story." The cliffhangers didn't put much at stake. Betty won't suddenly move to Tucson to be with Henry, especially since the cast and crew are moving to NYC for real. Daniel isn't really gone from Mode for good, or the whole premise of the show would be shot. Don't even get me started about that weird fake plane at the end.

Once again, there was a connection between Betty and Hilda's love lives. Both women were playing it safe; Hilda by taking things slow with Tony Diaz, and Betty by being too cautious (with Gio, her writing, everything). I'm having trouble rooting for Hilda's relationship with the sort-of-married Coach Diaz, especially since the writers didn't give us much of a reason to like him. Yes, he looks great with his shirt off, but why do we want him in Hilda's life?

The men of Ugly Betty didn't do so well in this episode. Daniel got stuck with a random "long-lost son" storyline, and Henry turned desperate and pushy all of a sudden. What was the deal? He pitched this perfect life in Tucson scenario, put the ring in Betty's hand, and left without waiting for an answer or just to, I don't know, talk? I got the impression from Betty's dream that her answer to the Gio-or-Henry question will be, "Neither." She's going to take a page from Kelly Taylor's book and choose herself. That's all well and good, but can she choose Gio once she straightens herself out?

The softball game scenes were the highlight of this episode, and emphasized the things that Ugly Betty does well. The impractical softball uniforms, the usual Marc and Amanda misbehavior, and a great celebrity cameo. Naomi Campbell was a good sport to go along with the cell phone joke. The game was also a great way to declare Wili the victor of round two of Meade vs. Slater. She won the game and got Daniel's job.

I have a lot of questions after watching the finale, but probably not the ones the writers intended. What was up with the Madonna overload? Where was Christina, and what was the point of Stuart's presence this season? Can Elle's Joe Zee be a recurring guest star and insult Wili with more awesome one-liners? All in all, I think this season suffered from the writers' strike hiatus and the dismissal of several key staff members over the last year. I still love a lot of things about Ugly Betty, though, and I hope that season three will feature more of those elements.

My favorite line/moment of the night: Daniel doing his Wili impression, or the repeated use of the word "natch."

Where did Betty go?
To Tucson with Henry13 (1.3%)
To Rome with Gio350 (35.0%)
Somewhere else by herself590 (59.0%)
Other47 (4.7%)

Jen1

*sigh*, I just loved Gio and Betty in "Jump" (as I've loved them in every episode). Man, the way he asked her to Rome, how serious he was; then how elated when she said, "Yes!" Gio's such a romantic, such a sweetheart. I don't know how Betty doesn't melt!

I think they'll be together next season! They have to be. I can't wait. Maybe they do take separate trips and then, upon their return, share every moment/experience with one another. That's OK by me too, *g*.

The moment I'm waiting for is when Betty tells Gio she feels the same about him. Gio's handsome face is going to light. it. up! :)

June 03 2008 at 5:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy

Betty took Hilda with her to Rome.

-Betty wanted to use Daniel's gift (the trip) and it was a trip for two.
- In the "I don't want your approval" scene, Hilda stated how much she'd love to go to Rome.
- Ignacio showing Betty photos of her and her mom and Hilda growing up made her miss being with family.
-When Betty was packing, she had the photo of the three of of them at the pool in her hand.
-Hilda kissing Tony was a "good-bye" kiss
-Where was Hilda in the house at the end when Betty was saying goodbye? (In the cab waiting for Betty!)
-The song playing over the end sequence kept saying something like "You can only count on family" or something like that.
-Both women have man problems to work out.

I have no doubt this is what happened.

May 27 2008 at 8:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Saragee

I think Alexis fathering the french boy is spot on - the clue? Betty walking in on him and Daniel and asking "who's the kid and why is he wearing eye shadow?"

May 27 2008 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bdk

Here's the honest to (oh my GOD) truth. From my living room full of friends...

"What is up with all the Madonna music."

"What the hell kind of ending was that? That sucked!"

May 24 2008 at 2:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul Pincus

Does anyone know the name of the song playing while they were on the baseball field??? It was not Madonna and has lyrics that went something like..."she walks like me and talks like me...tie you up in the middle of the night."

Thanks!

May 23 2008 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erin

I like the coach, not for who he is, but rather what he represents. Hilda has had a hard time of it, and Santos's death awful on her. It's time for her to have a sweet, passionate relationship, regardless of whether it ends in happily ever after.

Regarding Betty, I think she chose neither - in her dream, their demands made her jump off a roof! That's about as telling as it gets. She's probably going on vacation by herself (maybe with the 5* trip Daniel booked), but I'd like to think that she's moving into her own place. Everyone looked so sad, it's hard to imagine they'd feel that way if she had only decided to vacation by herself. But it's just a thought, and I'm probably way off-base.

Lastly, I don't think Daniel's storyline felt out of place. It's about time that he grows up a little, and grows some additional layers. The only problem? You know that the kid isn't his. It's a soap, and now that Daniel's accepting little Daniel, you know that someone's going to throw a wrench in the whole thing. I love the suggestion that he's Alex[is]'s, though - it would explain the resemblance that Claire mentioned, as well as upping the drama factor that makes Betty such a funny show.

May 23 2008 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kate

Re: the Madonna overload

Just watch the video on ABC website. Betty's saying that Justin's a M's fan and likes to listen her newest album over and over and over and [...] over again and their father is on the verge of committing murder. ;) Maybe it's some inside joke.

May 23 2008 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dawn

One thing is for sure: Unless there was a continuity error, Betty is NOT going to Tuscon. I just rewatched the episode on ABC.com, and in the final scene, Betty is not wearing an engagement ring. So, I vote Rome, and hopefully Gio.

May 23 2008 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gwin

Imp: the show has used "cheap ways" to get of Betty's suddenly-useless boyfriends before... remember Walter?

I too noticed the Madonna overload and thought it was odd.

The one thing that really annoyed me, though was: couldn't they have found an ACTUAL French boy to play Daniel's son rather than an American with a so-so accent?? They do that a lot in TV but it's always just so ludicrous.

May 23 2008 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JFTA

Unfortunately, I too got the whole Brandon/Dylan/Me thing from it too and think she is going off by herself somewhere, maybe to film a movie with three other girls about magical jeans or something like that.

Just a random thought - when is Betty getting her braces off? I know it is part of the "Ugly" in Ugly Betty, but come on - how can the girl support her family, save money to go on vacation and be in ongoing orthodontia treatment?

I love the comment about Alexis being the dad and now the kid has a mom and dad.

I will still wait with baited breath for the DVD of Season 2 to come out and watch them all and revel in the Betty-ness. Le sigh.

May 23 2008 at 9:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply