December 20, 2014

ABC's new summer reality show Wipeout

by Kristin Sample, posted May 23rd 2008 1:21PM
John Henson ABC has started production on their new summer reality series Wipeout. The show features 24 thrill-seeking contestants who will race in the world's largest extreme obstacle course. According to the press release, the course was designed to create the "most spills, face plants and wipeouts ever seen on television." I can't help but wonder if anyone at ABC has seen MTV's Jackass. Just a thought.

The obstacles and contestants change every week. Some of the obstacles are "Dizzy Dummy," "Dirty Balls," (there's a bad joke in there somewhere), and the "Dreadmill" which gets contestants to jump hurdles on a 40-foot long treadmill moving at "warpspeed" (ABC's words, not mine).

Here's something of interest: John Henson (Talk Soup) will be co-hosting with John Anderson of SportsCenter. Henson is reason enough for me to give this show at least one go-round. What about you? Will you tune in to Wipeout?

Wipeout is slated to premiere on Tuesday June 24th at 8:00 p.m. ET / PT on ABC.

pinkster88

I love this show and I can't get enough of it because of the things people do for money. It reminds me of "Fear Factor" but made "G" rated so families can enjoy it. I normally watch the show at home but in the event I need a little more entertainment, I just go to DISHonline.com and watch it there. I work and subscribe to DISH Network and there are multiple shows on the site ready to view. I am always recommending that people check out DISH Network and experience a value unseen by any other provider!

*Danielle

April 17 2011 at 9:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

How do u enter 2 be on this show?????!!!!!!

August 13 2008 at 12:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maria

The kids and I want to know when this course will be turned into a theme park because we all wanna have a go!!

July 15 2008 at 11:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wentwork

My 12 year old son and I watch this last night. It was riot. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. We had a good time watching it. $50,000 cash prize isn't bad for making a fool of yourself.

But I'm also a fan of MXC.

June 25 2008 at 3:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Wentwork's comment
Rick Wilson

For those who can't Imagen them selfs doing this type of physical stuff don't watch it. So its like another type of show who cares ....WIPEOUT is just good ol' fashion do your best and maybe win 50k...It might just change your life! A little mud water, and sweat...So cowboy up and have a big red ball in your face..

July 01 2008 at 12:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mi chan

Not at all. To Takeshi's Castle and MXC.... Kompai!

June 13 2008 at 11:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mi chan

It seems ABC's WipeOut is completely a rip off of Takeshi's Castle and that of the funny, politically incorrect dubbed commentary from MXC. (Note: Takeshi's Castle was a Japanese game show in the 80s which is now used for MXC).
I get that the tv stations are trying to do anything to keep people watching, but to copy a great show badly? Have you seen and heard any of the commentary on the commericals for WipeOut? Not even close to good. And if that's in the commerical (which has the goal to get people to watch) then the rest of the commentary must be awful. I think the only way people would watch this show is with the volume turned down and then.... it might be okay. Although why 'copy' something pourly in the first place instead of creating a really great show?
Hmm....

June 13 2008 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scifidude

Another re-make reality show. Can't the networks think up some original reality shows if they insist on having these types of show anyway?

It sounds like the hosts all are trying to get there names out to the public that they are still around in the "business." From the commercials it seems like they have cast people who seem to crave to be on television no matter how dumb they look doing it and I am sure the hosts will be mocking most of the contestants. At least American Gladiators tries to have their contestants be athletic and have a real chance to do well. The contestants are not there just for laughs.

If you love watching the early auditions on American Idol, you will probably like this show because the contestants shown so far look to be non-athletes that are on the show just to get on TV. Pretty sad.

May 26 2008 at 2:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peter

I just saw ads for this show during the Indy 500. It looks very annoying. They devoted a whole commercial to a fat girl screaming the whole time she ran the course. That clinched my decision not to watch it

May 25 2008 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

Why can't ABC just bring back Battle of the network stars, I'm sure a lot of stars would do it for charity and it would be a combination of this and dancing with the stars.

May 24 2008 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Stewart

Stupid people falling on their asses on national television, I'll tune in to see it at least once. This actually sort of reminds me of Wild N Crazy Kids, only with full-grown adults who are motivated by prizes and attention.

May 24 2008 at 2:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to John Stewart's comment
Peter

Amen. This show seems to be very annoying from the commercials I've seen

May 25 2008 at 5:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply