December 21, 2014

So what are you looking forward to watching this summer?

by Bob Sassone, posted May 23rd 2008 3:41PM

Mad Men

So here we are at the end of another television season. We're all exhausted from watching all of the finales, whether it was American Idol or The Office or Grey's Anatomy or Desperate Housewives (there's still one biggie left to come next week: Lost!), and we're ready to take the summer off and enjoy cheeseburgers and the beach and fireworks and road trips, making sure we don't turn on our televisions unless it's for the news or maybe some daily soaps.

Of course, television doesn't really work that way anymore. There is no complete summer hiatus on the networks anymore. They all have reality shows and new scripted shows too, both network and cable. Here are the four shows that I'm most looking forward to watching this summer, and - God help me - there's one reality show in the mix.

1. Mad Men (AMC): This is part of the new Thursday "Must-See TV" for me (along with 30 Rock and The Office), and I named it the best TV show for a reason: nothing else comes close when it comes to the overall writing, acting, directing, and cinematography of this look at a NYC ad agency in 1960. It's so good it makes me want to take up smoking, and get married just so I can cheat on my wife! The new season starts in July.

2. Burn Notice (USA): I'm so happy this show got a second season. It's a real throwback to the loner hero-type shows that we used to see in the 80s. Jeffrey Donovan plays an ex-spy who settles in Miami and tries to find out who screwed him out of a job, all the while helping other people with their problems with the help of Bruce Campbell and Gabrielle Anwar. Simply one of the most entertaining shows to debut in years.

3. The Mole (ABC): There aren't many times I use the phrase "I'm going to watch a reality show," but this is one that will probably have me hooked. Now, it's in that special category of reality/game show, so that's probably why I like it. This new version won't have Anderson Cooper (he's on CNN now so Jon Kelley takes over), but it's also not one of those dreaded celebrity editions, so I bet this is going to be fun. Premieres on June 2 at 10.

4. Swingtown (CBS): I didn't realize that this show was going to premiere so early (June 5), but it looks like it's worth checking out. Swingers in '70s suburbia with probably lots of pot smoking and disco songs. I could do without the disco, but this could be so dirty that it's fun.

The rest of the summer will be spent catching up on episodes of John Doe I missed and watching stuff like Hulu and AOL Video. Oh, and tennis! How about you?

RIFRAF

anyone notice how blogs get fall of the face of the earth when they're not on the first page of the main blogsite?? I just found this one and no-one's replied since the 24th.. 4 days.. oh well,,

For anyone that is still reading these 'old' messages,, I can't wait for Burn Notice and The Mole. Burn was my favorite show last summer and The Mole was the only reality show I actually got into.

May 28 2008 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Charles

Did I miss anybody? No one at all mentioned "The Closer" on TNT? Pure television perfection, that show.

May 24 2008 at 9:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monkeydog

Weeds and Penn And Tellar's: BS!

Hopefully Californication, too, if it comes out early enough this summer.

And This American Life, if it counts, it ends early in June though...I think.

May 24 2008 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smacksmackums

Shedding a tear for the 4400.
Will be watching Burn Notice, Monk, Psych.

How can you not like Gabrielle Anwar??? I wish she'd go back to the Irish accent though.

May 24 2008 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BobbyBuz

My summer lineup includes:

Dexter
Damages
Mad Men
Rescue Me
Weeds
Californication

May 24 2008 at 8:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Mad Men and Damages, definitely. (And whatever follows Damages, whether it's The Shield or Rescue Me.)

Why are people talking about L&O:CI as if it were a summer show? Did I miss something?

May 24 2008 at 7:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

I can't believe no one brought up season 3 of The Venture Bros., which premieres in about a week. The show's fans have waited two years for season 3 (while I've waited only a year because I first caught the show on DVD last year).

May 24 2008 at 6:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

I am actually a huge fan of summer tv. My list is Weeds, Psych, Mad Men, Stargate Atlantis, Eureka, Californication, Big Love, and Gladiators. I also plan on checking out In Plain Sight, as well as starting on the first seasons of Monk and Dexter. Wow... that's a lot of tv.

May 24 2008 at 2:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lunar Dog

I am soo looking forward to Burn Notice,
it kind of feels like bastard love child of old school McGyver and Jason Bourne.

I am not so crazy about Fiona (Gabriela Anwar) though,

May 24 2008 at 12:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lovelain

glad to see at least a couple of other people mention one of my favorites: EUREKA!

also: burn notice, america's got talent, the olympics, american gladiators, and weeds.

May 24 2008 at 12:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply