October 25, 2014

USA orders 16 new episodes of L&O: Criminal Intent

by Allison Waldman, posted May 23rd 2008 3:01PM
CI logoJust when you think it's over, they pull it back in! Actually, I think this is great news and nothing to bemoan. USA Network has ordered 16 new episodes of Law and Order: Criminal Intent. The third spin-off from NBC's venerable -- 18 seasons strong -- Law and Order, CI moved to USA -- part of the NBCU family -- last year after six years on NBC. What's the difference between the shows on NBC and the shows on USA? Absolutely nothing. The quality of the show and the talent in front and behind the camera has remained the same, so I'm really happy that there'll be new L&O: CI in the future. I prefer scripted drama to more reality TV.

Of course, that's assuming everything stays the same. According to USA, the actors are still unsigned for the new "season." Deals are being done with Vincent D'Onofrio, Chris Noth, Eric Bogosian, Julianne Nicholson and Kathryn Erbe right now, so keep your fingers crossed.

Interestingly, last season because of the Writer's Strike, CI episodes were used on NBC, helping the network through the work stoppage. That repurposing (don't you love it when the TV business invents new words?) could happen again in the second season if certain NBC dramas don't perform up to expectations. You see, no matter what some people think of the Law and Order franchise, it's tried and true and a sure-thing for NBC and USA.

And contrary to popular belief, they are not all the same. CI is much more quirky and idiosyncratic that L&O proper. SVU has a lot more character introspection. The finale of L&O the other night showed that it's the only one that veers into politics (and should more often).

The summer schedule of CI begins June 8 at 9 o'clock, providing a lead in for the new USA's original drama, In Plain Sight, starring Mary McCormack as a U.S. marshal working for the federal witness protection program.

Oreo

They should have gotten rid of Vincent D'Onofrio, I can't stand him.

June 26 2008 at 5:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Henry K.

Yes! Julianne Nicholson is coming back to the series, it was confirmed! She is returning as Det. Logan's partner but that leaves so many questions... I wonder how Logan will have to readjust to his old partner returning? I have been waiting half a year for this so I'm sure it'll be good, I'm for sure gonna be there.

May 30 2008 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff N.

I have USA Network in HD. And I agree Law Order SVU and Criminal Intent are both better to watch in HD.
And yes, USA Network seems better than NBC. Weird huh?

May 24 2008 at 2:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lawrence Chen

Except that on NBC it can be seen in HD, but on USA its just SD letterboxed :'(

May 23 2008 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Lawrence Chen's comment
CJH

Certain carriers have USA HD. Mine does, and let me tell you, there's nothing greater than watching Law and Order, Monk, and the occasional movie, all day long in beautiful HD.

May 23 2008 at 5:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

I can't stand CI, I think it's the lead actor who pisses me off.

May 23 2008 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Oreo's comment
Joey Geraci

D'Onofrio "was" fantastic; he was the anchor of the show in a way that can only compare to House; but he has strayed lately. (It doesn't help the fact that I Noth is just so completely and totally generic, that he brings down the whole show so completely on the weeks he is on). He just seems lost, disoriented, half the time (and not good-quirky, like he used to be, but bad-doesn't-give-a-shit, which hurts the eyes), and I can't bring myself to watch the show anymore. I record an episode every once in a while, to give it a chance, but I haven't been able to bring myself to watch more than a couple minutes of each recent one. Seeing the old reruns on USA every once in a while just shows what a startling difference there is. He used to be having fun.

I am sure I'll watch the premiere, to see if he found any of his spark, but I have no hopes for renewed vigor.

May 24 2008 at 2:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Is Julianne Nicholson coming back? Was Alicia Witt a one year deal?

May 23 2008 at 3:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Chris's comment
Jeff N.

That was my question too. Is Julianne Nicholson coming back and Alicia Witt Not?
Or was that a Mistake Allison?

May 24 2008 at 2:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

I really like L&O: CI ... and I like how USA handles it's shows by repeating them throughout the week as well as having the split season so there is always something new on.

it is funny how much better USA is (IMHO) than NBC proper.

May 23 2008 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Gordon Werner's comment
Edward

Bring back ADA Ron Carver...

May 24 2008 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply