October 21, 2014

Here's the CW's new Sunday night lineup

by Bob Sassone, posted May 27th 2008 2:42PM

The CW logoBrad told you a couple of weeks ago about the new shows on The CW this fall. The network put aside Sunday nights in order to have Media Rights Capital program the night as it pleased, as an experiment. Now, the lineup that MRC has come up with has been released. The network has put all four shows into production immediately (no pilots) so they'll be ready for fall. The shows will run from 7pm to 10pm. Note: sorry Moonlight fans, your show didn't make it.

In Harm's Way: This reality show about people who have dangerous jobs (it's from the same guy who brings you Discovery's Dirty Jobs) got a 10 episode order from the network.

Valentine, Inc.: This is a comedy/drama from Kevin Murphy, who was a producer/writer on Reaper (also on The CW). It's about the modern day adventures of Aphrodite and her son Eros, who run a matchmaking business. Sounds like Cupid, maybe?

Easy Money: A drama about a family of loan sharks. From two people who used to work on The Sopranos.

Surviving Suburbia: A half hour sitcom that Kevin Abbott (who has written for The Golden Girls, Reba, Growing Pains, Roseanne, ALF, and was a producer on My Name Is Earl) wrote years ago, found, and decided to pitch again. 13 eps ordered.

Of course, reading the plot line of a TV show can be misleading. Even the flimsiest of a premise can be great with the right writing, cast, and production. Having said that, what show looks the most interesting to you?

didi

Want my Moonlight back! it is pure entertainment since it has action, drama, love, suspense all the elements to make a show, ingredients definitively lacking in a lot of present shows.

May 30 2008 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

Coming next on the CW, our best idea ever: HEAVY METAL - THE SERIES!

May 28 2008 at 6:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nschimpf

I'm glad the bad old days of syndicated-quality drivel like "Throb", "Time Trax", "Street Justice" and "She's the Sheriff" are returning thanks to Media Rights Capital. Seriously, this looks the primetime schedule of a bad indie station circa 1991. Better to give the time back to the affiliates for a movie night than air this stuff.

May 27 2008 at 8:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
heinlein

For me, both Valentine, Inc. and Easy Money sounds like interesting shows, that could have a good storyline, and I plan to give them both a chance.

May 27 2008 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RadioScott

Wow. A guy who wrote for ALF and Golden Girls created a show and couldn't sell it for years? How exciting. Maybe they can get some of the According to Jim writers on board.

May 27 2008 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucyfan62

No MOONLIGHT...no interest.

May 27 2008 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lucyfan62's comment
didi

I am a fan of Moonlight and I want it back. Tired of gangsters, reality shows which are either violent or unrealistic and, in my opinion, not very entertaining!

May 30 2008 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

Somebody forgot to close the italics tag! (On the bold, italics title of Surviving Suburbia, looks like)

Easy Money looks mildly interesting, at least. The rest, eh, I'll check out the pilot of Valentine and Suburbia, but expecting shit)

May 27 2008 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mel

Not surprisingly, they all sound like crap. But then again just about every show that airs now fits into that category. I guess I might as well remove that channel from my tv.

May 27 2008 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
moreartplease

While Valentine, INC does have the same hook as Cupid, in some ways, it sounds like it will be focussed on a different dynamic. That is, Cupid was all about whether the guy was crazy or actually Cupid. This takes it as a given that the Gods walk among us. Tonally, it could be very different.

All of that being either here, there, or neither, that is the one I would choose to watch given no other info but its logline.

May 27 2008 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

Not one of these shows looks interesting. Surprise!

If I had to choose, I'd say the show about loan sharks, but I still hate shows about criminals. Sick of the glorification. Overall, the lineup seems like a complete waste of time in my not so humble opinion.

May 27 2008 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply