October 25, 2014

The Good Riddance Award nominees

by Brett Love, posted May 27th 2008 2:20PM

Tv Squad AwardsAlright, here we go. The readers, and team TV Squad, have spoken. It's almost a little depressing that there were so many shows that received consideration for the award. Clearly, this wasn't a banner year for the networks. But that's good though. With all of those shows sent packing, there's that much more room on the schedule next season. Here's hoping all that valuable space gets put to good use, and that someone learns from the following examples. After the jump, the nominees, and your chance to vote for the TV Squad reader award.

Michelle RyanBionic Woman - It had so many things going for it from jump street. The nostalgia of remaking a classic. The involvement of key members of the successful Battlestar Galactica team. A gorgeous lead actress. And all of that was enough to get them a pretty nice debut audience of 13.6 million viewers. Unfortunately, it all went downhill from there. After seeing just what the new Bionic Woman entailed, that number started dropping quickly. By the last pre-strike episode, the A18-49 number had dropped from the premiere's 5.7 to just 2.2. Not the stuff of legend, or renewal. Whether it was the writing, the villain, or Ryan's performance is up for debate. At the end of the day though, there was more wrong than right with this one.

CavemenCavemen - I have a feeling that we could have started taking nominations for this award before the season began and Cavemen would have already been the leading vote getter. Where Bionic Woman had everything going for it before the premiere, Cavemen had nothing but questions. Basing a series on commercials? Then there were the strange quote from Joe Lawson that talked about the caveman experience being a metaphor for racism. Not really the core idea you are looking for in your quest for yuks. At the end of the day, the skeptical viewers were right and Cavemen never found much of an audience. I was left thinking basing a show on Warren Wallace commercials would have been a better idea.

George TakeiSecret Talents Of The Stars - Like Cavemen, we kind of all saw this one coming. CBS really should have learned their lesson after the Armed and Famous debacle, but sometimes it takes a couple good knocks to get a message through your melon. Viewers simply couldn't be bothered to tune in to see George Takei sing country music or Clint Black do stand up. Viewer interest was so low that the show only managed to air one episode before being shuttled off to the scrap heap. That was probably best for all of us.

Viva LaughlinViva Laughlin - Oh, what could have been. It doesn't get much better than landing Hugh Jackman for a new show, does it? He's Wolverine! His presence alone was enough to get me to tune in, but there was no Wolverine to be found here. The writing was on the wall when the comparisons to Cop Rock started. At it's core, the story was fine. There was a lot of mileage to be had in the conflict between Ripley and Nicky. Unfortunately, the ill-conceived and poorly executed song and dance numbers sucked the life out of the show. I'd be up for another shot at this one, with no singing, and all dancing handled by showgirls.

Kid NationKid Nation - For me, Kid Nation calls to mind Firefly. But not for any good reason. No, I'm thinking of Shepherd Book. There is a special level of hell for people that design a show that makes an 8 year old cry, and rather than doing something to help them, they point a camera at them to capture the drama. When adults sign on to nutty reality shows and get exploited, portrayed in an unflattering way, etc., that's fine. They should know what they are getting into and take responsibility for it. But the way these people used these kids was ridiculous. Good riddance, indeed.

So there you have it, our five nominees. Next time, we'll hand out the awards. The TV Squad team will pow-wow and pick our winner, and the poll below will decide the reader's choice award. And if you haven't made your votes known for any of the other awards, considerations are being taken up until the nomination posts come out. Make sure you also check out AOL TV's best & worst of TV poll.

The Good Riddance Award - Reader's Choice
Cavemen468 (43.7%)
Bionic Woman165 (15.4%)
Secret Talents Of The Stars149 (13.9%)
Kid Nation221 (20.6%)
Viva Laughlin68 (6.3%)

Rebecca

The show Via Laughlin was based on, Via Blackpool, was terrific. It starred David Tennant (Doctor Who) and had some wonderful music (check it out on youtube). But as soon as I heard Melanie Griffiths nails-on-chalkboard voice in the ads I knew that the adaptation was going to be unwatchable. (From what I heard, the music selection was pretty bad too.) I was lucky enough to get a reviewers copy (for Emmy consideration) on eBay and all my David Tennant loving friends beg me to part with it. It was everything the US version wasn't sexy, hip and fun.

May 27 2008 at 10:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

Boo! There should have been more choices. Cashmere Mafia, The Singing Bee, Miss/Guided, and Women's Murder Club come to mind - especially those last two.

May 27 2008 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Harry

"Caveman."

I never even thought the commercials were funny. The ones with the gecko are, though. They should make a show about that little gecko with an accent. And it should be about him trying to get people to buy insurance. I'd watch that show.

May 27 2008 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

I will say one thing for Kid Nation, it is the only reality show I have watched multiple episodes of. As much as the child exploitation left me queasy, the fact is that the kids were so earnest in their effort to make their little town a success, that it made the show interesting (for a reality show), despite the efforts of the producers.

May 27 2008 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ganesh

what about that awfully vapid girl from nebraska (?) who used to have videos on TV Squad on Fridays? you know, the one who numbered her pumpkin for the strike?

good riddance to her!

May 27 2008 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lucyfan62

Bionic Woman definitely was the most disappointing because of expectations. Couldn't they have at least found someway to get a Lindsay Wagner cameo in? Unfortunately, I will continue to defend Cavemen because it never got a fair shake from critics or viewers. Everyone was ready to write it off before it even aired simply because it was based on a long-running series of commercials. It got funnier as the show progressed and the writers and actors found their way but with all the preconceived notions that burdened the show even before a single frame was shot was unfair and doomed it before it ever saw the light of day. One not on the list that deserves to be there is Back to You. The first episode was not funny and Patricia Heaton is just annoying with her shoulders all hunched up around her ears. Unhitched was also an unfunny comedy that I couldn't stand to watch again after the first episode. And I'm sorry New Amsterdam fans, but the first show was booooooorrrrrrring, so I didn't bother to ever watch that again. Now if someone would just get Moment of Truth off the air, things would be right with the TV universe!

May 27 2008 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

All of these shows were bad, but only kid nation was morally reprehensible. The only people harmed by cavemen were investors.

May 27 2008 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
colby

Re: Viva Laughlin ...

Please ... sit back and enjoy:

May 27 2008 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

I voted for BW as well for the same reason. While I knew the others would range from bad to sucktastic, I actually had hoped that BW would be good. And it wasn't.

The more I watched the angrier I got that this show was just not living up to expectations, even lowered ones. Thus, good riddance.

May 27 2008 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stacie23

The reason I say Bionic Woman, is because you knew that Cavemen was going to terrible, you knew Viva Laughlin was going to be terrible and the same with Kid Nation and Secret Talents of the Stars. Bionic Woman actually had hype surrounding it. It was to go toe to toe with Private Practice on ABC. It was supposed to be fantastic, with the writing and all the key members of the show. But it ended up being a waste of time and energy and was just a really terrible show that shouldn't have been on any network even NBC. For failing so terribly, I say Good Riddance to Bionic Woman.

May 27 2008 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply