September 20, 2014

Venture Bros. just made my wardrobe even geekier

by Annie Wu, posted May 27th 2008 2:08PM
Guild TeeDespite my desperate attempts to look somewhat sophisticated by keeping my shirts pressed and my cuffs crisp, every once a while, an irresistible piece of geeky attire will throw off my entire wardrobe. Just take my beloved, ill-fitting "Plan 9 from Outer Space" shirt for example. Oh, Ed Wood, what is this power you have over me?

Now, here comes The Venture Bros. to make things extra-horrible for my wardrobe and my wallet. Fans have spent the last four years or so moaning about how there are barely any goodies for purchase, and the merch gods (in this case, aka Jackson Publick) have spoken just in time for the new season.

The Venture Bros. Shirt Club will release one limited, episode-specific shirt each week, starting this Sunday. Shirts can be purchased individually within that one week period or as part of a big subscription deal. The site explains it better, I swear.

This is sort of like Threadless' club, except so much better, because the shirts aren't exclusive to subscribers and, well, it's Venture Bros. The first shirt is a Guild of Calamitous Intent tee that I've already decided is a total must-have, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to drop $250 for the full subscription, for I am wary of buying shirts that I haven't seen yet. As much as I love the show's universe, there are some characters that I would be hesitant to sport across my chest. For what occasion would a Girl Hitler top be appropriate? All in all, though, this is a really smart idea. Not only are the fans happy, but the creators have finally realized that many of their devoted followers are willing to drop good money for something that looks vaguely like Brock Samson's ringer shirt. Win-win! It wouldn't hurt for other shows to follow suit and try to take these merch situations into their own hands. After all, sometimes the logo'd tees on the network's official website aren't quite enough, and I would trust a show's creative forces to have a better idea of their fans' needs.

Don't forget Season Three starts on Sunday, June 1st. The first episode will be called "Shadowman 9: In the Cradle of Destiny" and yes, TV Squad will be covering it. We got your back.

Bash

I

May 27 2008 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Bash's comment
Bash

god dammit how fuxxored is this comment system.

2nd try:

I (heart) everything you write Annie. Guess that makes me a fangirl fanboy ^^;

May 27 2008 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lam

I can already picture getting stopped at the airport for wearing 'terrorist clothing' with the GCI shirt, then making the news and ultimately, suing for an undisclosed amount. That's the American way.

May 27 2008 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zachary

Dean: Wow, a girl president? How progressive.
Hank: And a Hitler! Things are really looking up for Underland.

May 27 2008 at 3:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Zachary's comment
Zachary

Screw that. I'm not waiting until Sunday. I'm watching Friday afternoon when it goes online at adult swim.

May 27 2008 at 3:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lyndon

Go Team Venture!

Sorry, just had to say it :)

May 27 2008 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

Awesome ... I really hope that they manage to keep the show at the same level of excellence as seasons 1 and 2

May 27 2008 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Gordon Werner's comment
Annie W.

I've heard from a few people who work at World Leaders and they all sound super-excited about the new season. Whenever I ask about the awesomeness of Season Three, they just kind of sigh with satisfaction and then smirk at me in that "Oh, if you only knew" sort of way.

I'd probably do the same thing if I were full of such wonderful secrets.

May 27 2008 at 7:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply