April 24, 2014

Lost alternate endings air on GMA - VIDEO

by Jonathan Toomey, posted May 30th 2008 11:22AM
The Frozen Donkey Wheel!
OK, let's get this out of the way: if you haven't seen the season finale of Lost yet, stop reading this immediately. Not only will you be spoiled, but you'll be confused as hell. Get it? Got it? Good. Fun starts after the jump.

We've all been wondering who was in that damned coffin we saw in last season's finale and now we know. Island loving John Locke is Jeremy Bentham, the mysterious figure who came around harassing The Oceanic Six over two (or is it three?) years after they left the island... but what if he wasn't? Apparently Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse planned for the unexpected and put two other people in that coffin for good measure. And by unexpected I assume these alternate endings were shot in case footage of the finale somehow got leaked.

That being said, it seems pretty clear to me that both endings were given some thought because either could have been used and I would have been equally shocked -- assuming adequate explanation was in the works for next season. Watch the video clip from today's Good Morning America. What does everyone else think?

[via TV Crunch]

Liz

I too agree that the other endings were shot to throw people off. All the comments about the funeral and Jeremy Bentham don't make sense when applied to Sawyer or Desmond.

I'm glad it was Locke. I find him an interesting character and his death leads to interesting questions, but his death doesn't bother me as much as Sawyer's or Desmond's would have.

May 30 2008 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

Makes sense that John Locke's alter name would also be a utilitarian philosopher.

May 30 2008 at 3:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JOHN

I'm surprised no1 has brought this up, I believe Locke left the island beacuse it had to be moved again. Remember whomever moves the island is kicked into some kind of time warp ( remember Ben winding up in the middle of the desert ) never alowed to return again..

May 30 2008 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ryan

I was actually hoping that the person in the casket would be Ben, meaning that there was both a dead an alive version of Ben in the same room. Now *that* would have been a great cliffhanger for the season!

May 30 2008 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to ryan's comment
The Pepto Pimp

Yeah, me too.

May 30 2008 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

I thought it was Ben too even when Ben popped up in the room. I thought the one talking was ghost Ben on an errand for Jacob. So when the camera went over the lid I went, "and hereees Ben.... Wait thats Locke wtf?!?!"

May 30 2008 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Bernard would have been great... and giving him a front and center storyline to work with would have been a good turn.

Sawyer makes no sense because Kate couldn't have used the "why would I go to the funeral" line.

Locke is the right choice, because it makes us ask questions. Why did he change his mind about the lie? How did he get off the island- did he have to move it again, like Ben, and then kill himself because it not only kicked him off the island, but re-paralyzed him as well?

Further- why would Locke need the Oceanic 6 to come clean about the lie, couldn't he just go to the media and "out" them? He was on the plane after all. Maybe the story is too fantastic and they'd just think he was nuts.

May 30 2008 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj green

It reminded me of Who Shot JR. They had every cast member film a scene holding a gun, and then a close up. No one knew until the show aired.

May 30 2008 at 1:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

You have to hand it to Lost writers/producers for always delivering a cliffhanger ending -- unlike the annoying 5 year jump that Desperate Housewives attempted and just made me think of never watching that show again. I truly gasped at the end -- like all good shockers. Great!

May 30 2008 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jake's comment
JoeBrooks

I guess Lost's 3 year jump is better?

May 30 2008 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jimxfitz

Going back to the island could bring them back to life, so it doesn't really matter who's in the coffin.

May 30 2008 at 12:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nick

Before I got a chance to see these clips, my guesses were that the oter two were Sawyer (no surprise if you read Jorge Fox's note a few posts back) and Desmond, who would probably be the only other person that could be there, especially after Ben's comment of how he's going to kill Penny and all of that destiny/time loop stuff that we watched in earlier episodes involving him. I think I would have been more surprised if it was someone like Bernard.

I guess the dead giveaway should have been that John is also named after the philosopher, John Locke. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Locke)

I would also like to say that Locke's John Waters mustache has never looked creepier.

May 30 2008 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Nick's comment
hmm

Well, it's not as though Locke is the only one with a famous name. We also have Hume (Desmond), Burke (Juliet), Faraday, Austen, Richard Alpert, as well as Rousseau and Cortez, even if they are no longer on the show. Am I forgetting anyone?

May 31 2008 at 11:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sloppy

Ofcourse they were just filmed to throw people off. What reason would Desmond have to visit Walt? And Sawyer in that case, aswell. If you guys think that Locke wasn't always meant to be in the coffin, then you are idiots.

May 30 2008 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply