December 26, 2014

Battlestar Galactica: Sine Qua Non - VIDEO

by Keith McDuffee, posted May 31st 2008 12:32AM
bsg
(S04E08) After two weeks of waiting, and through several other shows having their season finales, we're back for more frakking BSG, baby. And speaking of season finales, after watching Lost last night with all of its flashbacks and flash-forwards, it almost seemed as though we may be seeing a bit of flashbackery next week to explain what happened to Roslin and the others aboard the hijacked Base Star.

In case you're wondering what the title means, it's a latin legal term, of course.

I've never had a firm grasp on the whole Adama-Roslin relationship, though obviously it's been a budding one for some time now. It wasn't until this episode that we saw concrete affection for Roslin, Bill even saying he can't function without her around. And, with that, he quite honorably and logically takes himself out of active command until he can get his head on straight: e.g., he finds Roslin or dies trying.

In some of the opening scenes we saw the shot Six wasn't yet dead, with Cottle and his crew working frantically to save her. Seeing Six reach up as if "toward the light" and Cottle standing over her seemed either to scream out Cottle as a red herring (for being the final Cylon) or just made his stock price go up a few points. I'm going with the latter in this case.

How could they possibly trust Sharon again after going nuts and killing the Six? I've been bitching for weeks now that the comfort level they've given a known Cylon -- Sharon -- is a tough pill to swallow sometimes. I understand that she put her neck out for the colonials before, but this last incident should leave her in chains with the other Six.

As for the appointing of a new president, I legitimately felt bad for Zarek. Like was said to Bill Adama, they could do a lot worse than Zarek in the topmost place of power in the fleet. The guy seems to take his role of vice president seriously and took it on the chin to see Roslin in the high seat. Now when it's his time, he has it plucked away to please "the old man." He steps down so Adama's own son can be sworn in instead! If that's not enough points now to win over the trust of those who didn't at one time or another, short of taking a bullet for someone else, I'm not sure what will.

Then, of course, we had the return of Lampkin the lawyer. Can I just say that Sheppard as Lampkin, in that long trenshcoat, reminds me of early Phil Collins? Remember that video for ... nevermind. Anyway, the man clearly has more than a few marbles loose. It was a neat trick to show us a cat that wasn't there, but at the same time it was pretty sick to learn he was toting around a tiny corpse in that bag for weeks.

When the damaged Raptor showed up, as soon as I heard someone was going for a space walk, I thought we were going to see another redshirt death. I was half right, though, as it was Eammon Pike who appeared as a bloated mess aboard the mess of a ship. Scratch one off the population for this week.

As for pregnant Six, this clearly points out the differences that the final five have to previously-known skinjobs. As far as I recall, the Cylons have said they can't breed eith each other. Humans and Cylons -- different story. But this whole Tigh-Six "relationship," if you want to call it that, is just too weird and I'm really wondering where they're going with it. Damn, though, that was a mean fist fight between Adama and Tigh. If we can't get some decent space battle scenes, let's get the dukes out!

As a side note, I think we now know why Tigh was wearing admiral tags in scenes several episodes ago, as mentioned in one of Ron Moore's podcasts. They must have shot the sequences out of order is all I can summise.

Adama looked strange in a flight outfit, didn't he? Just didn't quite look right. And in case you missed it, we got aother glimpse of the Orion constellation again in that last scene.

Current fleet population:
(Note: I take the population mentioned at the start of the episode and then subtract/add to that number based on what was shown or heard in this episode to get the number below)

39,672 (since last week it was 39,673 and this week was 39,674, we have +1 birth, -1 for Gonzo, probably -1 for Sandman)

What should Tigh name his new kid?
Mai55 (13.3%)
Nek23 (5.6%)
Twyst47 (11.4%)
Fightmaster89 (21.5%)
Steve199 (48.2%)

BSGJ

Guys,

Was the episode Sine Qua Non the last one in this current series or is BSG taking a couple of weeks break? This episode was aired on the 27th May in the UK but I cannot find when the next episode is on - have done a search on the internet (no joy) and also looked across the Skyone TV (and SCI Fi) but still no joy.

Help .... I want to know if Adama gets shot out of the sky by a Cylon or completes his book and gets bored ....

June 04 2008 at 11:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to BSGJ's comment
bsgfan2003

The Hub- airs US 6/6
Revelations- airs US 6/13

June 05 2008 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PORSCHE

If you watch the previews again you see Mr. Starbuck walking with her aor into her room...it is he that she is talking too..Is Roslin there too and finding this out...not sure may be editing but I doubt Roslin is the 5th.

It's Drew and she is working for the Devil in Reaper.

June 03 2008 at 1:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom

Alex 99 hit on the most important point to me:

Kara disappeared for two months, cannot explain it, seemed seriously nuts over the search for earth, and now is both back in uniform and (apparently) the CAG again. She's trusted.

Filler? Um, did anyone think it odd that we barely saw Starbuck this week? Was she in that one and only shot where she said goodbye to Admiral Adama? I don't think so? How is that possible? How is that coherent story-telling? Get this!!! Starbuck arouses everyone's suspicions when she reappears, then goes off hunting cylons, returns with a basestar that quickly jumps away with the President and half the fleet???!!!!! And she's in one scene saying goodbye?

In any universe, she would have been the first one they interogated. They would have had her in the brig, water-boarding her for information. But there she is, a lovey-dovey with Bill Adama.

I don't buy it.

This episode was complete filler. That stuff with Romo and the cat was stupid, forced, ridiculous nonsense. I had friends sit down and watch this show with me this week, and I felt it necessary to apologize to them and make excuses like, "It's really usually a lot better than this."

Laura Roslin cannot be the fifth and final cylon because...well, I just don't want her to be. I don't believe they would give away the greatest mystery of the final season in the previews for the coming week, but at the same time I'm kind of pissed at being manipulated like that with the editing.

Oh, and the pregnant Six is retarded as is Bill Adama's sudden flip-flop with Tigh.

I agree with everyone who loves this show and thinks that on the whole it has been nothing short of great television, but this stuff is getting REALLY strained if you ask me.

Thank the GODS we had a brilliant season of LOST. That show was sickeningly brilliant this year.

June 02 2008 at 3:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

The writers are all mad.

I will first state that I am as loyal a fan of BSG as anyone. The show has endeared itself to me as among the finest.

Unless there is some "grand surprises" coming up to miracuously smooth out all the non sequiturs, then all my points can be ignored (which, they usually are anyway LOL).

On Sharon killing Natalie. There is no way in hell that Sharon would have shot her in a real life situation. It was completely out of character for Sharon to do that. Even the most flagrant Sharon-haters out there has to admit that like her or not, Sharon has the dicipline and survival resilience that would make a navy seal proud. Throughout the series Sharon has been portrayed as a character with extreme mental toughness and intelligence. Her resourcefulnness and savvy under pressure has been demonstrated so many times it need not be recounted here. Now....our "gifted" writers want us to accept that Sharon shoots an unarmed woman in a room full of guards. Sharon did not become an officer in the fleet by being an idiot. Sharon....of all people....would have known that she will have to walk on eggshells for as long as she lives among humans. She would know that there can be NO mistakes from her. NONE. Most importantly, by killing the six, it left Sharon in the very least position to be in control of her baby. Sharon would have known that....dream or no dream.

My post here is not about if you like Sharon or not. It is about the roller-coaster character changes done by the writing. The writers are "fracking" (if I may use the term) with other characters as well. The show should not disrupt the essence of the shows characters. That is my main point here. If they want to shock us fine ....but at least keep the consistency of the characters believable. Otherwise, how can we take them seriously. However, I am content (and fortunate) to enjoy the presence of my favorite actress....Grace Park....( I will ALWAYS be loyal to her).

June 01 2008 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tim McCleese's comment
mb

I agree (especially with your observations on Grace Park), but the writers are shaping these episodes in a way that I don't understand.

Another example to compare with would be what the writers have done with Romo Lampkin's character in this episode. At the end of last season, his character was smooth, controlled and slick. This episode made him look insane, and without a valid reason for it.

Filler? Or lack of ideas?

June 01 2008 at 11:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Desmond

Well, it looks like you think that it's a red herring. I disagree. I have been thinking Cottle for a while now.

See my proof here:

June 01 2008 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex99

Collin....

Say what you want about the show. You're certainly entitled to your opinion there. I don't expect others to enjoy what I enjoy.

However, your "...And so are the people who are enjoying this garbage" line was uncalled-for and inappropriate.

June 01 2008 at 9:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Alex99's comment
mb

You may be right.

I'm used to being bashed for pointing out shortcomings on my favorite shows by devoted fans, but the BSG commenters are a bit more objective (than those on the Lost threads, for example).

For that, I apologize.

But the writers have to improve the quality of their scripts. This IS the last season, after all.

June 01 2008 at 11:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

This was perhaps the most uninspired episode filled with filler. I have a feeling that episodes like this are the exact reason this is the last season. If they drew it out any longer, they'd have too many of these episodes, and they'd lose their ratings in a big way!

People keep comparing bsg to Lost, with regards to story development and audience, but I can't tell you when the last filler episode was aired. It seems like they'd rather keep giving us development as fast as a bullet, bsg is going in waves of turtles and bullets...done with the turtles!

Can't remember caring less about an episode of this show!

I will say that it's a pisser they killed off natalie!

June 01 2008 at 12:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JDog

What the frak!?! I hope cutting Roslin against Deanna's comment about being the 5th of the Final 5 was just a red herring. If Deanna did not mean her "it didn't occur to you" as sarcasm, it's got to be Baltar.

May 31 2008 at 11:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alex99

So Sharon can never be trusted again.....why?

Callie killed Boomer in much the same way. She was trusted.

Helo both was missing on Caprica for an extended period, and fathered a child with a Cylon. He's trusted.

Sol (apparently) impregnated the captive Six, calling into question his integrity, stability (head Ellen) and judgement, and soon after was handed command of Galactica and the fleet. He's trusted.

Need I quote to you Lee's "we're very forgiving" speech from the Baltar trial? I suspect we will see Sharon out of the brig and redeemed in the eyes of the Admiral soon.

May 31 2008 at 7:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DudeBoyz

So what is with SCIFI.COM not hosting the latest streaming episode online the day after the broadcast on TV?

They did it for a while - you could go every Sat and watch the full episode no problem. But not the last few weeks, I think.

Anyone know why?