September 23, 2014

Dark Shadows comes to the big screen

by Brett Love, posted Jun 2nd 2008 6:41PM
Dark ShadowsWe've kind of been conditioned to have lowered expectations when a TV show makes the jump to the big screen. It's usually an iffy proposition at best. For every Mission Impossible, The Fugitive, or The Untouchables there is a Bewitched, Wild Wild West, or Starsky & Hutch. With that in mind, I was a little hesitant when I got the email from a friend announcing that Dark Shadows was headed for the silver screen. That one could go wrong in so many ways. But then I clicked the link he sent along...

According to our friends over at Cinematical, the rights to the show now belong to Johnny Depp's Infinitum-Nihil production company. And now comes news that Tim Burton has signed on to direct the movie adaptation. It's a short, and quite logical, jump to finding Depp playing Barnabas Collins. It also doesn't hurt the argument that when asked about the possibility of doing this film during the Sweeney Todd press junket, Depp said, "If that comes to fruition, that's a dream come true, man. Barnabas Collins - when I was a kid I wanted to be Barnabas." Depp, Burton, and Dark Shadows have all the makings of a great movie.

car17fann

i love dark shadows have all dvd as well johnny depp would be a awful barnabus, leave that to johnathan frid he is a true vampire!!!!

January 31 2011 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DONNA

Dark Shadows is my favorite tv show ever. I have the whole series on tape/dvd. Have seen it through at least 4 times. I would hate to see Johnny Depp as Barnabus Collins! Johnathon Frid was the perfect Barnabus. They need to find someone who has his style and charm. I am so sick of Depp- Between Edward Scissorhands, Charlie and the Chocolate factory, Sweeny Todd, and the Pirate movies
I see no variety in his style of acting. He won't be able to make the character work.
I also do not like the idea of Tim Burton directing. I have seen a few of his films and find them dull and boring.
I would rather not see the movie made with these two.

June 04 2008 at 2:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

Well, I was a Dark Shadows fan, big time.I've seen the whole series more than once (let's leave it at that!), I have most of it recorded (though I rarely, if ever, get them out to watch thses days). So I can only hope they do the series justice. But I think the last Burton film I really liked was Batman (the first one). What's that been, 20 years? Depp does plays certain roles well, but I don't know about Barnabas. Guess we'll see.

June 03 2008 at 2:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

If Burton would take a chance and break his own mold, I would have hope for the movie. Depp has always expressed his desire to portray Barnabas. I'm sure he would be great in the role, but I'm not sure I like the idea of Burton quirkiness - unless he goes more dark than humorous.

I HATED Sweeny Todd (I couldn't watch it all, honestly) but loved Edward Scissorhands. Most of his movies were so "esque" that they sucked in my opinion. But I'll keep my fingers crossed.

PS - I liked Starsky and Hutch. Loved the show as a kid, but was able to disassociate the original enough to enjoy the stupid goofiness of the remake. I'm not so sure I will feel the same for Land of the Lost, coming up. It was too important to me, dammit, for Will Farrell to make too much fun of it.

June 03 2008 at 1:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

I've liked very little of what Tim Burton has done. I think he's extremely overrated and should he be behind this movie at best I'd wait for the DVD and then borrow it from a friend.

For me, Burton's the nail in Barnabas Collins' coffin.

June 02 2008 at 10:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stephen

ugh. while I can almost accept Burton directing this (I would much rather someone like Whedon. I don't think this is up his alley at all, I don't want this to look like Sweeney), I can't accept Depp as Collins. If he did it, and well, it would be the acting challenge of the century.
Uta would describe what Depp does as very presentational acting, he's good at what he does, but he is very presentational. Barnabas is a very understated character, and needs someone like that to play him...
I hope I'm not the only one sick of the Burton/Depp/Adaptation-of-a-Classic "power team"

June 02 2008 at 10:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply