April 19, 2014

In Treatment not officially dead yet, may get Leight injection

by Jason Hughes, posted Jun 2nd 2008 3:03PM
In Treatment - Gabriel Byrne and Dianne WiestI'm sure I'm not the only one who assumed the HBO nightly series In Treatment, featuring Gabriel Byrne, Blair Underwood, Josh Charles and Dianne Wiest among others, was pretty much going to be a done in one. I really enjoyed the tension they managed to create with essentially two or three people sitting in a room and talking, and while critical acclaim pretty much affirmed that I am brilliant (like I needed their help), the ratings didn't follow.

While official word on the show's fate still hasn't come, what is trickling around is that HBO is this close to signing Law & Order: Criminal Intent executive producer Warren Leight (see me holding my fingers really close together), with the intention of putting him on In Treatment should it get the pick-up, which ups the odds of said happening tremendously. I can't imagine the show costs a tremendous amount to produce, aside from paying the top-notch actors they brought on board. Aside from Byrne and Wiest, we'd likely be looking at a new cast of patients with all new conflicts.

Maybe they should cast Britney Spears as one of his patients. She wouldn't even have to act that hard to portray a trainwreck.

Paul: "So tell me how you're feeling right now, Britney."
Britney: "Oh my god, no one understands me. I just wanna see my kids, you know."
Paul: "You don't see your kids?"
Britney: "Oh sure, I see them when I'm at Kevin's house."
Paul: "Kevin's your ex-husband."
Britney: "Uh-huh."
Paul: "So he lets you see them."
Britney: "Oh, he don't know I'm there. See, I come by at night, all sneakily like. I have my people bring me a jumbo trampoline and I set it outside their window--"
Paul: "I'm sorry. Did you say a trampoline...?"
Britney: "Uh-huh. Are you even listening to me, Paul?"
Paul: Sorry, Britney. I am listening. Please, continue."
Britney: "Okay, so I'm jumping up and down on the trampoline so I can see the kids through the window, but it's hard for the camera crew to get any good shots because it's dark."
Paul: "The camera--"
Britney: (glares)
Paul: (waves hand) "Sorry. Go on."
Britney: "So I have Alex turn on the sprinkler system, but he has to do it quiet, and then we have to get the lighting set up but subtle you know. So there I am in my white negligee jumping with the water hitting me and the cameras are trying to get it because I had this great idea for a video--"
Paul: "Britney. Sorry. Are we still talking about your kids?"
Britney: "Mama's gotta get paid, Paul!"

AndAgain

One of the biggest problems with the show was the writing. Ham-handed diologue, stories that exposed a lack of understanding of pathologies, and weak character voices. Laura, who was the stinkiest of the characters, suffered from all three afflictions -- even the boring couple improved the last episode (sort of). Sophie was easily the best.

I hope Leight raises the tone in that department. A playwright seems like a move in the right direction, provided he has a better handle on these issues. And avoids the silly salaciousness that plagued the show. Out near the edge stuff is best left to authors like David Chase who was never gratuitous, because he infallibly knew exactly what he was talking about.

June 04 2008 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nattyff

that is great, i really loved the show, hope is back soon!!!

June 04 2008 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VDOVault

It's true...confirmed it with my Law & Order: Criminal Intent writer friends (whom I met and bonded with during the 2007-2008 writers strike) yesterday.

CI's loss is definitely In Treatment's gain...treat him kindly In Treatment fans and look forward to Warren's writing skills...I think he's a good fit for your show.

S.E. Olson aka vdovault online
Moderator & Law & Order Criminal Intent Fan Liason

June 03 2008 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan Richardson

i love In Treatment. I watched every single episode. The actors are fabulous. No, I am not a psycholgist, psychiatrist or a social worker. But I do recognize quality television.

Add my vote for its return!

June 03 2008 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

This show was indeed, fantabulous.

June 03 2008 at 12:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anonymous

I know you think you are being funny when you make fun of Britney Spears, but really you are being rude and unkind. Do you get a kick out of belittling someone with a mental illness?? If she had a problem that was of her doing I would understand your attempt at humor. However, you are showing your complete lack of empathy for someone who is trying to get their life back together. I hope no one in your family ever struggles with an illness such as hers. Shame on you.

June 02 2008 at 8:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

Oh, pleeeze, put us out of our misery and BRING BACK IT. I'm wearing grooves in our dvr replaying old episodes. I can almost to the dialogue myself.

June 02 2008 at 6:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

I sure hope they bring this show back and play it year round, even if its repeats. I always put it on at midnight and I was always asleep in 5 minutes. I suffer from insomnia and this show is my cure. It works wonders for me. Anybody with insomnia should try this show.

June 02 2008 at 6:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to MERVE-THE-PERVE's comment
Stella

Oh, Merve. That IS perverted.

Although In Treatment is also my DOC because I am addicted to it!

Bring on Season 2. My shrink is tired of listening to me go on and on and on...

;-)

June 02 2008 at 6:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eileen

I love In Treatment and, no, I'm not a psychologist or even a psych major--I've a novelist. It's a great show, although I realize it's only for a small audience. I hope they bring it back!

June 02 2008 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

I think this news pretty much guarantees there's going to be a second season. Hopefully HBO realizes In Treatment will never be a "hit", even in the world of cable tv. It's too cerebral. But that doesn't mean there isn't an audience for the show. I suspect everyone who has a psychology degree watched at least a week's worth of episodes. I would expect the typical In Treatment viewer to be a bit more upscale than the typical tv drama viewer-and tv execs like shows which attract that demo, even if the overall numbers aren't high.

June 02 2008 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply