November 24, 2014

Lost's Perrineau joins The Unusuals

by Allison Waldman, posted Jun 2nd 2008 12:03PM
LostJust last week, Harold Perrineau was wondering why his character was killed off on Lost, wishing the producers hadn't blown Michael up with the freighter. He wasn't out of work for long. Harold Perrineau has just been cast on a new ABC comedy/drama called The Unusuals. The pilot, which could be a mid-season replacement on ABC, is an hour set in a New York City police precinct.

Harold will play Detective Leo Banks, an agitated cop who's so afraid of being shot or attacked that he's never without his Kevlar bullet-proof vest. (Does he wear it in the john?) Sounds potentially funny. The writer of The Unusuals is Bones' Noah Hawley and the executive producer is Peter Tolan (Rescue Me, The Larry Sanders Show), so there will be an emphasis on humor. Maybe not full-out Barney Miller, but still funny.

By the way, if there are any doubters that Lost has definitely killed Harold's character, listen to what writer Damon Lindelof said about Michael. "He sacrificed his own life to redeem himself for past mistakes and to help the Oceanic 6 get off the island."

And if that wasn't an obit, Harold himself has commented on his Lost exit, which he believes is final. "I'm disappointed, mostly because I wanted Michael and Walt to have a happy ending. I was hoping Michael would get it together and actually want to be a father to his kid and try to figure out a way to get back [home]. But this is [the producers'] story. If I were writing it, I would write it differently."

Franklin

Despite any controversy surrounding Perrineau, this show sounds interesting enough to check out.

June 02 2008 at 3:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deebopalula

mj - I agree with you. But I couldn't begin to count the number of actors who have openly criticized "former employers" and/or been a nightmare for cast and crew to work with and yet continue to be employed repeatedly. As they say, in Hollywood, there's no such thing as bad press. But I just remember Perrineau's work in Oz and think he shouldn't be lambasted and written off forever for one poorly timed and unfortunately worded comment. Just my 2 cents....

June 02 2008 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj green

Ok, he just lost his job. But one thing you learn in the working world is NEVER bad mouth your ex boss in public. Someone is going to hear, and that may be your NEXT potential boss. Always leave a job with a smile and a good word. You may need a reference, or you may need to ask for your job back.

June 02 2008 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deebopalula

Anyone who ever saw Perrineau on "Oz" would know that he's an excellent actor. Maybe people didn't appreciate his acting on "Lost" because they didn't like the character of Michael. Perrineau was merely expressing an opinion and it didn't sound like he did it an a hateful or crude way so cut the guy some slack. He had just lost his job, ya know? I'd certainly be emotional and perhaps say some things I may later regret if that happened to me.

June 02 2008 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

And if the pilot's not picked up? He'll cry "racism" again. And if it is, but gets canceled quickly? Same thing. I can't imagine why any producers or network would hire him now. Plus, there's a reason why most "Lost" viewers only know him as the guy who yelled "WAAAALLLT"--he is not, despite his own personal belief that he is, the World's Greatest Actor.

June 02 2008 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RevJonathan

I'm surprised anyone hired him after he publicly complained about his old show.

June 02 2008 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply