August 21, 2014

Ten worst superhero TV shows

by Brad Trechak, posted Jun 3rd 2008 11:04AM
Justice LeagueBrian Heiler over at the Topless Robot website took it upon himself to list the ten worst superhero television shows ever made. I don't know if I agree with every choice, but he's certainly in the right ballpark.

Going through the list, we start with Birds of Prey. The first mistake they made (and there was a myriad of them) was altering Batman's daughter to have superpowers. I guess the WB was trying to copy the success of Smallville into other superhero shows and failing.

I remember seeing one episode of Once A Hero. I'm only sorry they didn't air the episode in which Adam West parodied himself. I missed Exo Man altogether (but only in the sense that I didn't watch it).

KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park was filmed while KISS the band was in its declining years. Gene Simmons moved on to other things such as Family Jewels and Ugly Betty.

The Thor episode mentioned isn't actually Thor, but rather the TV movie The Incredible Hulk Returns. Marvel Comics was actually trying to launch television franchises of their other superheroes. Sadly, religious groups didn't like the portrayal of Thor as a god, so he was demoted to a "mighty warrior." And when they introduced Daredevil in The Trial of the Incredible Hulk, he wasn't allow to be red or have horns. I believe Marvel also wanted to introduce She-Hulk and Iron Man in two more Hulk TV movies, but nixed it and broadcast The Death of the Incredible Hulk instead.

I never saw My Secret Identity, but I dig seeing Jerry O'Connell from his time between Stand By Me and Sliders (and Carpoolers), before his big weight loss.

The Captain America TV movie was more trying to cash in on Evel Knievel's success (as well as The Six Million Dollar Man and other '70s icons) rather than make something true to the source material.

I remember Legends of the Superheroes quite vividly. It could also be called "Adam and Burt's last hurrah." Borscht Belt comedy meets the Super Friends. You could tell affirmative action was in play when the character of "Ghetto Man" was introduced. I only wish I was making this up.

Wonder Woman without Lynda Carter. Pass.

Finally, there was the Justice League CBS pilot from the '90s, which was trying to cash in on the new, more humorous Justice League incarnation in the comic books. While containing major suck, it did include appearances by John "Crypt Keeper" Kassir and Kim "Son of the Beach" Oja as well as David "Can't Stop The Signal" Krumholtz in a supporting role.

This list made me laugh. While it's not quality television, I recommend taking a look.

CARLOS D

for i can recall...birds of prey came out waaay before smallville...so please...check your facts first

August 17 2008 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cold Chilli

Roboman, Manimal classics from the 80s.
Even NBC jokes how bad Manimal was

June 04 2008 at 9:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Argus

My Secret Identity was fantastic. At least when I was 6.

June 04 2008 at 7:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CRVBOY

Birds of Prey was good. And it was developed by the folks who developed Smallville.

June 04 2008 at 7:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PORSCHE

I liked Birds of Pry too.

June 04 2008 at 12:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vincent J. Murphy

Let's not forget David Hasslehoff as Nick Fury. And the awful Spider-man and Dr. Strange shows.

June 03 2008 at 9:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

"The Tick" was a superhero show for people who hate superhero shows. It was all tongue and cheek and overall wasn't that bad, but perhaps the live-action version wasn't as good as the animated version. Also, wasn't there an "Aquaman" pilot? I don't even have to watch the show to say: Worst Comicbook Based Show...Ever.

June 03 2008 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to divineparasite's comment
BillS

The Aquaman pilot never even aired, but it showed up on the internet at some point. I enjoy a ridiculously bad tv show as much as the next guy, but I never made it more than 10 minutes in.

June 03 2008 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George McBain

Actually, Mercy Reef (the Aquaman pilot) it was very good, but since the show was developed right when WB and UPN were merging, The CW passed. When it showed up later on iTunes, it quickly became the number-one most downloaded television show on the service.

June 03 2008 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevjohn

They had so much superhero suckitude on this list they didn't even have room for The Tick. The one featuring the David Puddy guy, who's the same in everything he does. Not that there's anything wrong with that. The Tick was a superhero show with no superheros.

June 03 2008 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to kevjohn's comment
Akbar Fazil

A. His name is Patrick Warburton.
B. While he does have a specific style that is used alot in most of his roles, he can do different things. Compare Brock Samson to Johnny Johnson.
C. The live action Tick carried out one of the main points of the entire Tick universe. There are superheroes. In fact there are so many of them, most come across as average joes with not much too them.

June 03 2008 at 4:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Happy Steve

My vote goes to "Small Wonder".
What? She wasn't Wonder Woman's precocious little daughter?
OMG! That's what the premise was?

June 03 2008 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GL

That KISS movie is the greatest thing ever put on film.

June 03 2008 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply