April 24, 2014

Good news and bad news for Torchwood

by Brad Trechak, posted Jun 3rd 2008 12:23PM

TorchwoodTV Guide reports some good news and bad news for fans of the BBC series Torchwood.

The good: the series has been renewed and John Barrowman will be back to play the role of Captain Jack Harkness.

The bad: so far, the BBC has only authorized five episodes for next year so it may play more like a mini-series than a full season.

It does lead to certain questions about the show: who else is coming back? With Russell T. Davies' imminent departure from Doctor Who, does that mean the reins for Torchwood wil go to someone else as well? Did the shortened season (a.k.a. the four specials) of Doctor Who slated for next year affect the season length of Torchwood as well? Will the new cast include Doctor Martha Jones (Freema Agyeman)?

Sadly, we don't have the answer to these questions (and, for now, neither does executive producer Julie Gardner). For now, we'll just have to wait and see.

skje9171

I love that Torchwood is coming back next season, whether it be for five eipisodes or not. I hope that they bring back James Marsters, I just love him!

The American networks could take a hint from the brits and find ways to make shows last for more than one or two seasons by shortening them. Whatever works to keep it going, I'm for it!

June 24 2008 at 5:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PORSCHE

Isn't Torchwood the number 1 show on BBC America? Torchwood and Robin Hood are great shows and i would miss them.

June 04 2008 at 12:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vincent J. Murphy

Rumor is that Martha Jones won't appear, since the actress is working on a revival of the Survivors (a Terry Nation creation about a post-apocalyptic world).

I could do without Mickey, too. Or Rickey.

June 03 2008 at 10:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Memmie

Sad to see the well intrenched Bozo's at the BBC are at it again. They have 2 Mega International hits on their hands with Torchwood and Dr. Who, so what do they do?They gut both of them. When they weren't forth coming with Torchwood news with Davies exit news I had a sneakin hunch they would use it at an opening to work on killing off Torchwood.

June 03 2008 at 9:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anita

Good, especially considering a) there're only 5 eps a season that I really like and b) I'm still upset they killed off 2 characters unnecessarily (altho I'm not sad about O). However, while I think Moffet can aptly do Doctor Who without any assistance, I felt Torchwood relied on RTD, unless Chibnall takes over -

June 03 2008 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
adhonus

I hope they retire the Martha character. Please. I don't ask much, but she's awful. And I don't often complain, but every minute she's on the screen is a total waste of time. I agree with the commenter in another thread who said they liked her in the hospital episode, but that was it.

June 03 2008 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to adhonus's comment
Oreo

That was me! :)

She was fantastic in her first episode but then died from there. I don't know if it's the actress or the writers but after awhile she is just dull.

June 03 2008 at 10:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nina

British television is wonderful...British television producers are a bit looney! Never more than 13 episodes of anything, sometimes as low as 6 episodes and then another years wait...terrific shows (inevitably the ones I love) getting pulled off air because the writer/producer wants to move on. (Yes, I'm looking at you, Russell T....AND Ricky Gervais - Office/Extras... but I still love ya.) Now, both TORCHWOOD and WHO in extremely limited episodes for 2009! . . . Stop the INSANITY!
Enough already! RTD: Sell TORCHWOOD to Showtime! John Barrowman: Come back to the states... permanently, (bring Gareth with you, of course. We want at least 3 more years, 22 episodes a pop, of TORCHWOOD Pittsburgh: Jack/Ianto Meet Brian/Justin.

Well, I have to dream because the "wait and see" is killing me!

June 03 2008 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan

5 episodes of Torchwood is better than nothing. But I do hope they up the count. I'm excited for S3 after a fantastic S2 (which was nicely recovered from a subpar S1).

Then again I just want more Ianto!

June 03 2008 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric J.

Rumor, and possible Doctor Who/Torchwood Spoiler below:

The rumor is that we will see Martha and Mickey (back from the other dimension with Rose) as the new Torchwood members.

June 03 2008 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PB

Yikes! How can I survive with only 5 episodes of the lovely Jack Harkness? *sigh*

June 03 2008 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply